Added To My Cycling Wardrobe

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Added To My Cycling Wardrobe

Postby FLATOUT50 on Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, I broke down today and kicked out a buck forty for one of those mesh riding jackets with the elbow, shoulder and back armour. First gear, black and silver, and got some gloves too. So with the helmet and boots added, I'm dressed up for a big bike, but really love the wring and fling factor of the Met. It's more fun to wring now that it's tuned - But if I ever get a bike with an engine on it, I'll have to go to charm school, the road manners will come in handy... :D =))
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Re: Added To My Cycling Wardrobe

Postby undertheradar on Mon May 04, 2009 11:44 pm

I decided to get a decent jacket once I did the 150 swap. I feel so much safer at higher speeds with it on. I use the Alpinestars Sniper.
undertheradar

Postby FLATOUT50 on Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 am

undertheradar wrote:I decided to get a decent jacket once I did the 150 swap. I feel so much safer at higher speeds with it on. I use the Alpinestars Sniper.

Let's hope we never need it, it's good to have it though.
FLATOUT50

Postby masukomi on Tue May 05, 2009 12:54 pm

FLATOUT50 wrote:...So with the helmet and boots added, I'm dressed up for a big bike...

You're still missing pants (unless you forgot to mention them). Jeans have a tear resistance of about 14lbs so offer no abrasion resistance and, obviously, no impact resistance. 30mph is fast enough to result in skin grafts from sliding down the asphalt. You can get overpants with CE rated armor for about $100 that'll go on in seconds.
Promote safe riding: get a Free "Gear Up!" sticker
masukomi

Postby mash on Sun May 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Dude your just a downer man!!,maybe he has the pants....What is the tear resistance of the wrangler vrs Levi 500??
Please we are waiting with bated breath! :sick:
84 Aero 50
89 Elite 50
mash

Postby masukomi on Sun May 24, 2009 8:21 pm

mash wrote:Dude your just a downer man!!,maybe he has the pants....What is the tear resistance of the wrangler vrs Levi 500??
Please we are waiting with bated breath! :sick:

Wraglers have a tear resistance roughly equivalent to debridement followed by two weeks of painful skin grafts and a lifetime of scarring. Levi 500's are debridement followed by only 13 days of painful skin grafts... and a lifetime of scarring.

31% of the damage suffered during a motorcycle accident is on the lower extremities, the vast majority of that is not covered by shoes. Considering that pants are the least worn item of motorcycling gear, and the implications of flatout50's post the odds are heavily skewed towards him not having proper pants when he wrote that.

So, what's the bigger downer: not getting the advice and finding out the hard way, or being advised of something you were already aware of? Personally, I'll choose the latter any day of the week.
Promote safe riding: get a Free "Gear Up!" sticker
masukomi

Postby Bustin on Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Back when I first started riding street bikes, the only real protective bottomwear was either leather pants or leather chaps. Both of those sucked , both in cold wet weather and in warm weather . Still do.

But now we have options !!

In really hot weather , I wear mesh overpants like these over shorts or jeans. This is a cool, comfy ride with both UV protection and abrasion resistance.

On milder days , it's a pair of reinforced jeans .

There has been a long history in the cycling world of treating riding pants as an optional piece of equipment , as opposed to the "minimum" gear requirement , which consists of helmet, boots, gloves, and jacket. This is still reinforced in the media,and in manufacturer's advertising . They show people riding in Levis all the time. Some recent scooter ads show women riding in dresses, and other riders bopping along barefoot, in beach clothes . They are selling fun and fashion , and there isn't any room for the pragmatic use of safety gear in that equasion.

At any rate , I've seen enough motorcycle crash damage on people to understand the importance of abrasion resistant pants , and jeans just don't cut it in anything more than a low speed drop, and even that is in question . In a moving situation, they melt away shortly after impact, and typically expose skin to asphalt for the duration of the slide. If that's a risk you want to take as a rider, so be it .... but you don't have to , with all the reinforced jeans and mesh overpants on the market now.

The Shift jeans are another excellent option , and won't break the bank at $79.99 .

Honestly , I'd be happy if all the people out there that ride bareheaded, in shorts and sandals, just put a helmet ,gloves, long pants, and shoes on . Maybe if we can get to that point , it will be easier to graduate on to the next level . Until then , lots of very preventable injuries will land people in very painful situations , and that's just the way it is.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby undertheradar on Mon May 25, 2009 2:14 am

mash wrote:Dude your just a downer man!!,maybe he has the pants....

Agreed....getting tired of the safety reposts.
undertheradar

Postby MikeN on Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 am

I highly recommend the Olympic Airglide II pants and jacket. Great in the winter, summer and in between. I have lots of gear, and I wish I had bought these as my first non-leather items. Way better and more useful then the others I have.
Mike N
NovoWorks, home of NovoWraps
2005 Honda Metropolitan
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2003 Honda VTX1300
2008 Honda Fit Sport
MikeN

Postby riktik on Tue May 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Considering that pants are the least worn item of motorcycling gear

. . . at least in warmer climate! =))
riktik

Postby benjo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:15 am

FLATOUT50 wrote:Well, I broke down today and kicked out a buck forty for one of those mesh riding jackets with the elbow, shoulder and back armour. First gear, black and silver, and got some gloves too. So with the helmet and boots added, I'm dressed up for a big bike, but really love the wring and fling factor of the Met. It's more fun to wring now that it's tuned - But if I ever get a bike with an engine on it, I'll have to go to charm school, the road manners will come in handy... :D =))

I bought a First Gear mesh armored jacket recently. It was on sale for $50. :D
benjo

Postby FLATOUT50 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:41 pm

masukomi wrote:
mash wrote:the implications of flatout50's post the odds are heavily skewed towards him not having proper pants when he wrote that.

You're right! I'm still riding without my pants on! =)) But I do have high square toed riding boots under my jeans from JCPenny. They probably tear right along with Levi's for 1/3 the price and fit better too. I wear my helmet, MeshTech jacket and riding gloves too whenever I ride.

When I do buy the pants, I'll get the First Gear ones that match the jacket. Quality is excellent and they can be snapped in the back so nobody thinks I'm a plumber from behind...Sorry about the pun :D
FLATOUT50

Return to Apparel Discussion