Rain pants

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Rain pants

Postby ceredonia on Mon May 11, 2009 12:59 pm

So I was looking into buying a scooter skirt (the Corrazzo one) but decided that $100 is just a little too much for me to drop right now. I was looking into just getting some snap-on/zip-on rain pants that could easily be stored in my seat trunk instead. I figure I could find something for less than $60 that way, and besides, summer's coming and Colorado doesn't get that cold until September or so, so a skirt is probably a little overkill. I don't get that chilly riding around as it is, my jacket's awesome and my legs don't get too cold. We do get random rainstorms though, especially this last month.
SO, can anyone recommend any decent rain pants? Just something I can throw on over my jeans or whatnot, that's what I usually wear. I don't care too much about "style," but I just can't bring myself to buy those Frogg Toggs or whatever. I'm sorry, they're just a little too M.C.Hammer for my taste. =)) I'm looking for something nice and black. I searched around the forums but only a few people have actually linked anything, everyone else just says "rain pants" which doesn't help me too much. XD
Last edited by ceredonia on Mon May 11, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Honda Metropolitan "PenPen"
ceredonia

Re: Rain pants

Postby Paddy_Crow on Mon May 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Something like Frogg Toggs would be your best bet in that price range. I don't think they sell a full zip or snap product, though. You'd have to slip them over your boots.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/
Paddy_Crow

Postby Smorris on Mon May 11, 2009 5:17 pm

I have Frogg Toggs in the Kermit blue/green color, but then, I don't care about style. In your area, I'm sure there are a lot of camping/hiking outfitters. I've also got a pair of elastic waist waterproof pants from Gander Mountain for under $30. I took them to a seamstress and had some patches of Cordura sewn on to the inside of the ankles about 1/2 way around and 10" high. This helps from ripping them on my boots or scoot parts.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby Bustin on Mon May 11, 2009 6:48 pm

I know some people use Frogg Toggs and other rain gear not made for cycling with good results, but you will usually find small touches here and there on the bike stuff that results in a drier ride and longer product life. Jacket collars designed for use with helmets, and heat shielded, reinforced panels on pants are two that come to mind right of the bat. Oh, zippers and pockets you can work with big ol' rain gloves on.

Tourmaster/Cortech offers several types of rain pants and jackets , designed specifically for motorcycling (and scootin'), ranging from a cheap-o pvc model to some very high quality stuff. These are designed and cut to go right over your regular riding outfit. They make some one-piece suits , but I prefer the two-piece ones. The Elite II series offers good bang for the buck , especially the pants, which I can recommend since I own a pair and have used them for years, still going strong and 100% waterproof. The suspenders, although dorkish, will prevent a chilly rivulet from making it's way down your back and..... well , you get the idea there , lol. Both pieces pack into a small 10" x 10" bag , so it's easy to carry and have available just in case

Honestly , I'd recommend the pants, but forgo the jacket in favor of one of the many riding jackets on the market that feature a removable waterproof liner.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog ... 189_8.html

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog ... -84_8.html
Last edited by Bustin on Mon May 11, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby Smorris on Mon May 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Definitely agree with Bustin on the good bike specific gear. I was just responding to the low cost rain gear. I've got the First Gear HT 2.0 pants for when I need good riding pants. But the Toggs are easy to keep under the seat or just the pants in the glovebox for those days you might get caught in a shower.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby Paddy_Crow on Mon May 11, 2009 7:10 pm

I agree about motorcycle specific pants, except that it's probably not as important on two wheelers with a leg shield like a scooter and/or as slow as a Met.

I just avoid rain. Just don't like riding in it. Which is funny, because I don't mind backpacking in an all day rain.
Paddy_Crow

Postby ruck_ryder on Fri May 22, 2009 3:07 am

What ever you do, stay away from the thin rubber / plastic rain gear. My experience has been that gear like this leaks like crazy and lasts about a month. For rain pants, I prefer a solid (no fly) heavy rubber, lined pant with zippers / waterproof gussets on the lower leg to allow you to put on / take off without removing your shoes. I bought my current set from a garden store for ~$15.

Jackets are a different story. Regular rain jackets are designed for water falling vertically, not pushed horizontally at high speeds. I like a one piece pullover with a gusseted collar that zips & a hood. Some folks don't like a hood...I don't like water running down my back so I put up the hood, then put on my helmet. Having the collar in the front also helps keep water out. Elastic around the sleeves is also a plus even if your gloves fit over your sleeves. Realistically, rain jackets design specifically as motorcycle gear are probably the best bet.
2007 Ruckus

Ride like you stole it...
ruck_ryder

Return to Apparel Discussion