Glad I was wearing my shorts & flipflops

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Glad I was wearing my shorts & flipflops

Postby FLATOUT50 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:12 am

scootinstonecold wrote:Damn! It was 101 today. I'm sure glad I went riding on my Met....with the wind blowing in my face....blowing up my shorts legs. Had my basball cap turned around and my flip flops on! Sure was refreshing.....'cept....'cept I got hit in the face by a big bug....damn...that hurt! 38 mph down the street in my little town in southern Illinois. Sure is fun when the scoot is runnin' right and the weather is right.....I had a lot of fun....wavin' and honkin' at folks!!!!!

Probably should wear extra baggy shorts with no undies and ride into a head wind for greater affect - also the girls will be able to get a better look and decide if they want to skinny dip with you down a the crick... :))
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby Bustin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:37 am

I don't really care if somebody wears gear or not , it's a personal decision. What chaps me is when somebody comes in here, to a forum frequented by a lot of brand new riders, and blathers on about how safety gear isn't important , because they decided so , and don't feel like making the effort to obtain and put on safety gear when they ride. That's just plain old denial , changing facts around to fit their decisions. I don't want to wear a helmet on my bike or a seat belt in my car, so I'll make up a rationale that supports that decision , and call it the truth , and call everyone else stupid or "brainwashed".

Well, it ain't the truth , and we aren't brainwashed, LeRoy. I actually think you have done a decent job of brainwashing yourself , but that's a whole other can of worms , and I don't want anything to do with it. I know that time and odds have a way of proving certain things , so you just enjoy your scootin' and keep your health insurance paid up .

As far as the illiteracy argument, it's usually better to avoid misspelling common words when you are typing up a post explaining how smart and educated you are, especially in the context of explain how much more intelligent and informed you are than the rest of us. Enough said on that.

Carolina is one of the few non-gear types that call it straight : He doesn't deny that it can save much unnecessary pain and injury in the event of a crash , but chooses to be free of it . Fair enough , like I said , it's a personal decision , and he clearly understands the risks involved. He doesn't make stupid arguments about helmets breaking necks or seatbelts causing injuries to people that would have otherwise walked away from a wreck. I can totally respect a rider who takes that approach to the situation , and makes a decision to ride in shorts and flips.

This thread should have been deleted the minute it was posted , IMO.....it was obviously a troll post made as a counter to Jeremy's post , and was bound to get ugly from the get go.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby carolinatrophy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:06 am

Yeah, I never saw any crazy posts about seat belts killing people or helmets breaking necks or any other obvious nonsense, and if I did I would have flamed it immediately.

I also agree that there isn't any need for strings on this (or any other) forum that are started for no other purpose than to piss people off and stir up trouble, and I think I said that earlier. But the bad news is, we all took the bait, and the number of views and responses is justification enough for some people posting inflammatory things.

For better or worse, part of that is the nature of forums. It has its bad side and its good side. I read all sorts of stuff on here that pisses me off. Quasi-racist stuff. Stuff about how scooter thieves should be castrated and sodomized with their own organs (only described in far more colorful language.) One guy eschews locks and alarms in favor of walking around with a loaded handgun, apparently prepared to blaze away at anyone who he decides is "messing with his ride." People mocking other people's scooters as slow and "useless." All that kind of stuff irritates me, but I just shut up and ignore it, accepting the fact that forums should be judged by the overall value of their content, not by the handful of posts by ignorant nutjobs that can also be found there.

I for one am glad that the moderator of this site errs on the side of leaving more content up than constantly trying to censor it and take it down. I would MUCH rather censor stuff myself, even if it means that I am occasionally confronted with strings like this one. Who is it? Duderiffic? I give him mad props for largely letting this stuff work itself out.

(Oh, and one last thing. Bustin mentioned something I hadn't thought of before. I didn't really consider that the forum is populated with lots of new riders, many of whom might have no real experience with riding, and many of whom have little knowledge with which to make an informed decision about safety gear. That's a pretty important point. I guess given that fact, the "pro gear" set should probably be given some leeway that the "butt out" set doesn't really deserve. I will try to remember it.)
-Paul
2003 Denim Metropolitan ("Potsie")

"Can't this Met go any faster? I can still see where I am."
carolinatrophy

Postby Paddy_Crow on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm

People mocking other people's scooters as slow and "useless."

I'm assuming this is directed at me since you devoted so much energy in flaming me on a similar subject. I never mocked anyone's scooter. If you thought I was mocking your scooter, you clearly misunderstood my posts. I said I found the Met to be inadequate, which it was for my needs. It's obvious that a lot of other people feel the same way, as is evidenced by the number of threads devoted to either milking more speed out of them or what to trade up to.
Paddy_Crow

Postby carolinatrophy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Not at all. It had nothing to do with you, Paddy. Don't sweat it.
-Paul
2003 Denim Metropolitan ("Potsie")

"Can't this Met go any faster? I can still see where I am."
carolinatrophy

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:06 pm

20 (mostly) civil posts and balanced views replying to nothing more than a troll type hit and run initial post are enough exploration of this thread. I'm locking it and LeRoy can go ahead and complain [again} about how overbearing and regimented I am. Yep, a real mean Mod.We've all read enough about these safety practice preferences that differ among us without calling eachother names.

LeRoy can continue to bait us, but threads like this won't survive long.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Previous

Return to Apparel Discussion