Clothing based on temperature

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Clothing based on temperature

Postby nksmfamjp on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Need help! I keep ending up too hot!

Right now, I'm struggling to match my gear to temperature. I'm wearing:

70 - street clothes. . .but I need to get a mesh gear set so I have pads, I guess.
60 - Street clothes or soccer training pants and soccer jersey type t shirt with Komine W/B touring suit.(vents open) full face helmet
50 - long sleeve t shirt and jeans with W/B touring suit , full face helmet
40 - add lining to the suit
30 - ??

What are you wearing? Seems like my 3 season suit is only good for the winter! Maybe mesh gear will help?

I'm commuting, so ideally, I would like to take off what I'm wearing to have nice casual clothes underneath.

Any ideas?
nksmfamjp

Re: Clothing based on temperature

Postby benjo on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:52 pm

When it's warm:

When it's cold:

I need to get a reflective vest to wear on top of that leather jacket before it gets too cold to wear my mesh jacket.
benjo

Postby masukomi on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:15 am

Mesh gear is a cool as a t-shirt. So, yeah it's great for stop-and-go city-driving in the summer.

You gotta get something on your legs though. Jeans provide essentially zero protection. If you're lucky they'll last maybe five feet in a slide and your knees will still be screwed from lack of armor. And gloves too, because you're not going to be doing much typing, or anything else, if you fall without them.

There's a ton of good gear out there that will survive really wide temperature ranges, but it requires researching and making sure that it's got good ventilation for the summer. Mesh gear is nice temperature-wise but it's really not required. Look at the guys who do desert rally's. They don't wear mesh. They were standard full gear and they don't overheat because they choose good gear with good ventilation, and keep moving. I have to admit though that when you're stuck standing still in traffic mesh does become more appealing. Check out the gear reviews on http://www.webbikeworld.com for a start.

I never ride anywhere without full gear, including to work, and yes, like you I like to have stuff i can quickly put on over my work clothes. It's out there, and there are plenty of choices. It's kind of hard to point you to any one thing in particular because essentially all of it will work, just make sure people have given it good reviews with regards to the ventilation since that seems to be your biggest concern.
Promote safe riding: get a Free "Gear Up!" sticker
masukomi

Postby FLATOUT50 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm in the same boat, still trying on full face helmets, looking for the perfect comprimise of weight (because of my neck) and size because I'm right between medium and large depending on manufacter and style. I can't wear mesh even with the liner if it's in the 50's just too cold when you're going 40+. I ALWAYS wear a helment, riding gloves, boots and a riding jacket. The riding pants are still in the future, and with the cold weather almost here will be an over winter purchase.
In the cooler weather, my leather jacket does a great job of keeping me warm, though it lacks armour.
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby benjo on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:31 pm

I wear armored gloves all the time. For those photos I didn't have time to put them on before the camera took them (self timer). :P

Riding pants and an armored winter jacket are on the shopping list. As for jeans, I have slid 3 car lengths from a bicycle crash and they held up just fine. I'm also looking for gear to go over normal pants.
benjo

Return to Apparel Discussion