Good Helmet Brands?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Good Helmet Brands?

Postby Mikeysan88 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 am

What are some good helmets i want a vespa soft touch but im not paying 300$ :((
oh and gloves! and i wear glasses do you rec. a full helm cuz of that?
Mikeysan88

Re: Good Helmet Brands?

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Although I do wear glasses, I wear a full face (modular) helmet cause I like keeping my full face if I happen to crash. You will see many arguments about whether a full face helmet is "better" than any other type. Helmets are safety, not fashion, and people who feel claustrophobic in a full face model often find bandages wrapped round and round what's left of their face can be very restrictive. You pick a style you will wear, you pick a brand by what fits best and most comfortably. There is a price point within all brands and styles, so budget realistically and then focus on what you prefer. I like a modular helmet since it is actually a full face helmet with the chin bar on a hinge so it can lift up. I wear the one as pictured in my avatar. It is a Vox and relatively inexpensive, but I am not sure if it is still available anywhere. I am particularly partial to it cause it has a built in drop-down sun visor as well as the clear face shield, and it is modular, so it is versatile.

Other good brands that are reasonably priced are GMax or HJC or KBC. Top of the line would be Shoei, Arai and Nolan. The Whitney Motorcycle catalog has a nice line at almost every price point. Better still, go to Motorcycle SuperStore and look over the models/brands and the prices to get into the right range.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10 ... lmets.aspx

The most important thing is FIT. (and wearing it every time you ride, of course). You can easily do a search within the Apparel Discussion topic area of this forum to read jillions of posts about preferred helmets, by brand and by style. Read up, also, on how to properly fit yourself with a helmet and review resources here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5665

It can save your life, so don't skimp on a good fit, and don't buy one second hand.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby duderiffic on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:59 pm

I looked at a variety of helmets before buying- I only considered full-face (I rode 2 years with a half helmet and I'm still grateful I never wrecked) - the Shoei RF-1000 was my favorite helmet from a fit standpoint. These are usually $325-$375 depending on color & finish. Some local dealer sells them for $300 in the Silicon Valley- I love my helmet!
duderiffic
Admin

Postby Bustin on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

The Shoei RF-1000 is an awesome lid, one of the best available. Shoei has just introduced the new RF-1100 , so remaining RF-1000s in dealer's inventories should be deeply discounted and a fantastic bargain.

In the under $150 range , the new HJC CL-16 is a great value , and comes standard with the excellent Pinlock anti-fog system ....one of the few quality helmets available in a price range that includes a lot of helmets that aren't worth the space they take up in a garbage can !
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby duderiffic on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:36 pm

I figured when I wrote that they must have something new out... :) Helmet a year or so? Is that right Bustin or do they wait a little longer?
duderiffic
Admin

Postby Bustin on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Shoei typically sticks with a helmet model for several years. The RF-1000 was around for awhile, and I expect the RF-1100 will be too.

That's not the norm in the motorcycle industry. If a product isn't superceded annually by the "next generation" new model , it typically gets at least a few "new and exciting" updates every year. Manufacturers have highly paid product development people on the payroll, and they are expected to roll out cool new stuff every February for the big industry trade show at Indy.... even if it means screwing up a good, proven design , and/or discontinuing a time tested product. It's a lot like the fashion industry , and getting more so every year.

I often tell people that if they find a piece of gear they really, really like , buy an extra one ASAP and stash it in the closet.....because when the first one gives out , the item will likely be either discontinued, or worse yet "improved" to the point that it's not nearly as good as the original version. This isn't always the case, sometimes they actually do manage to improve a product, but more often than not ,the new version is a let-down.

FWIW, March and April are good times to buy new gear . Dealers load up on discounted "early order" new stuff, and typically make room for it by blowing out last year's leftovers at clearance prices.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby alx101598 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:43 am

So Bustin, If you had the choice which helmet would you choose? I wear a full face HJC that was around $150. Its been dropped a few times (atleast - not in an accident - just accidentally dropped on the floor) and can be foggy when conditions are right. Its does have a replacement visor for sun but I find thats kinda a pain - changing it to the clear one and back and then back again and then back.....

When I got the reflex (a yellow, 2003) I was kinda interested in finding a yellow helmet but had no luck because I was also looking for a modular. I have since decided that maybe a modular is not so important cuz it does not actually make putting the helmet on while wearing glasses any easier (that how the helmet gets dropped - I have to open the face shield to take off/put on my glasses and then take off the helmet while holding my glasses then put the glasses back on - not enough hands. Its such a pain I have been known to just leave the helmet on when running quick errands - like dropping off a payment or something - too much trouble to take it off and put it back on.

But can you recommend a good, (in a perfect world Honda Reflex yellow) modular helmet. Or even a good full face that would be so good that I would not care that its not modular?
1984 Honda Aero 125
2003 Honda Reflex "Yellow Scoot"
alx101598

Return to Apparel Discussion