Always wear a jacket!

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Always wear a jacket!

Postby mgospo on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:47 am

I decided to ride into work this morning without my jacket. Its 70 degrees and looks to be a pretty day. When i got to work I noticed I had about 30 gnats zombified all over my chest!!

I say zombified because they weren't quite dead yet, just injured and plastered all over my shirt :-o

I have a Teknik scooter jacket on the way, but I had been riding with a northface windbreaker, since it was nice outside I decided to go without a jacket, but now I don't think I'll be doing that much.

Anybody else tried this jacket??
http://www.extremesupply.com/product/TE ... CKETS.html

I found mine on eBay for 59$ in black.
2009 Metropolitan - Graphite
mgospo

Re: Always wear a jacket!

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 am

The expression is ATGATT:
All The Gear All The Time.

And now you know one more reason why, besides safety. And why 3/4 helmets without face shields can give any rider a whole mouthful of what you found on your shirt. ;)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby misu on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

GizmoGal wrote:The expression is ATGATT:
All The Gear All The Time.

And now you know one more reason why, besides safety. And why 3/4 helmets without face shields can give any rider a whole mouthful of what you found on your shirt. ;)

definitely coming around to ATGAT this more "mature" time around with scooting.

when i crashed my aprilia s50 5 years ago (t boned into car turning left), i did have a full face/modular on which saved me, but i was only wearing a windblocker fleece jacket, khakis and dress shoes. fortunately (?) i flipped right in the air and landed kind of on my r side, so aside from slight abrasion and a hip pointer, i got off pretty lucky. no broken bones.

helmet was scratched but saved me a major head trauma. jacket had some abrasions/cuts and leather shoes got abrasions but all survived and still usable (except of course i got a new helmet).

i know it could've been much worse...so this time:
- armored jacket (corazzo max, alpinestars verona air)
- quality helmet appropriately sized (nolan n90)

and recently ordered armored pants (alpinestars acr air-flo). my un-armored/t-shirt ducati riding friend thinks i'm silly but i don't care. my wife doesn't even really understand... she'd rather i not ride at all.
misu

Postby mgospo on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:09 am

mgospo wrote:I have a Teknik scooter jacket on the way, but I had been riding with a northface windbreaker, since it was nice outside I decided to go without a jacket, but now I don't think I'll be doing that much.

The Teknic 2010 Metro Scooter Jacket came in and I'm very satisfied.

It doesn't have anything to do with Honda, they just named this model jacket the Metro, which is kind of neat since the one I got matches my black/grey met. Anyway the jacket seems to be of very high quality and very comfortable. It has removable armor in the shoulders and elbows which is really just some tough looking foam I think but its comfortable and its better than having nothing there I guess. The jacket has a removable inner liner, thermal bubble looking material which i immediately took out because it was super toasty, still a nice feature that will make this my year round jacket I think. Also there is a removable hood, which I removed because it hangs over the reflective stripe on the back, which was part of my reason for buying the jacket. The Teknic logo and stripe across the upper back is made of reflective 3m tape material. There is also a small stripe on the front right breast. I thought the sleeves would have a reflective stripe running down them, but they do not.

The jacket has been comfortable in all conditions thus far. My biggest gripe is that the zipper is on the left side, like a female jacket, though I'm pretty certain this is the male model jacket. Maybe Im wrong. and I have gotten the zipper stuck in the liner already twice which is kind of annoying, but thats something you always have to watch out for I guess. Anyway at 59 dollars total, with free shipping I got a water-proof, breathable jacket that keeps the wind off of me, keeps me warm, has some low-grade road-rash protection, and reflective stripes to make more more noticeable on the road. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Oh the other thing is the sleeves do have a velcro function for tightening around your gloves, but in my opinion do not get tight enough, I still get open air gaps and cold wind coming up my sleeves which is never nice. My north-face wind breaker did a better job of sealing that gap, Im still looking for a solution to that problem.

All in all im happy and think its a good addition to my gear.
mgospo

Postby misu on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 am

mgospo wrote:
mgospo wrote:I have a Teknik scooter jacket on the way, but I had been riding with a northface windbreaker, since it was nice outside I decided to go without a jacket, but now I don't think I'll be doing that much.

The Teknic 2010 Metro Scooter Jacket came in and I'm very satisfied.

It doesn't have anything to do with Honda, they just named this model jacket the Metro, which is kind of neat since the one I got matches my black/grey met. Anyway the jacket seems to be of very high quality and very comfortable. It has removable armor in the shoulders and elbows which is really just some tough looking foam I think but its comfortable and its better than having nothing there I guess. The jacket has a removable inner liner, thermal bubble looking material which i immediately took out because it was super toasty, still a nice feature that will make this my year round jacket I think. Also there is a removable hood, which I removed because it hangs over the reflective stripe on the back, which was part of my reason for buying the jacket. The Teknic logo and stripe across the upper back is made of reflective 3m tape material. There is also a small stripe on the front right breast. I thought the sleeves would have a reflective stripe running down them, but they do not.

The jacket has been comfortable in all conditions thus far. My biggest gripe is that the zipper is on the left side, like a female jacket, though I'm pretty certain this is the male model jacket. Maybe Im wrong. and I have gotten the zipper stuck in the liner already twice which is kind of annoying, but thats something you always have to watch out for I guess. Anyway at 59 dollars total, with free shipping I got a water-proof, breathable jacket that keeps the wind off of me, keeps me warm, has some low-grade road-rash protection, and reflective stripes to make more more noticeable on the road. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Oh the other thing is the sleeves do have a velcro function for tightening around your gloves, but in my opinion do not get tight enough, I still get open air gaps and cold wind coming up my sleeves which is never nice. My north-face wind breaker did a better job of sealing that gap, Im still looking for a solution to that problem.

All in all im happy and think its a good addition to my gear.

great review. sounds like a decent jacket for the price...man $59! that's a deal, even if it only lasts 1-2 seasons. armor alone costs that much.

is teknic a european brand? my alpinestars (italian brand?) verona air jacket also has the zip on the left.
misu

Postby mgospo on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:17 am

misu wrote:is teknic a european brand? my alpinestars (italian brand?) verona air jacket also has the zip on the left.

The tag says made in Pakistan, I think the company may be based out of the UK. We'll see how it holds up but it seems to be pretty high quality material. It definitely doesn't feel or look like it only cost 59 dollars. Teknic has other products in the 200$+ range...I think maybe this jacket was never a big seller and is on a closeout price or something, I've seen other sites selling them for sub 100$ prices but that eBay deal was just too good to pass up.

Maybe the zipper thing is regional. I know my wife has a lot of jackets and zip hoodies that have the zipper on the left side, so I thought it was a sex thing. Maybe its both.
mgospo

Postby misu on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:39 pm

apparently a lot of motorcycle gear is made in a few factories in pakistan....so whether it's alpinestar, joe rocket or teknic, or generic stuff, they may actually roll out of the same factory. some of the higher end stuff is made out of nicer leather, etc. and may have longer warranties...

i've been partial to alpinestar after a couple defects with joe rocket -- nothing serious but broken zipper and clasps, that made me decide to pay a bit more for alpinestar.

main jacket's a corazzo max (ebay), but recently ordered an alpinestars verona air (use alpine2011 for 15% off at sportbiketrackgear.com) for summer and a halo jacket just because i love the feeling of leather (closeout at motostrano.com)
misu

Postby mgospo on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 am

Yeah,

I definitely love the feel and the LOOK of a leather jacket. I'll be getting one for the winter probably. I first thought it would be sort of pretentious looking to be putting around on a 49cc engine with a badass leather bikers jacket, but to be honest, I really don't care how pretentious it looks. Just because I like motor scooters AND I like leather jackets doesn't make me pretentious. (textually re-assuring myself)
mgospo

Postby ronnath on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 pm

i have three jackets. one is solid textile, the other two are mesh. all three fully armored and each has a removable liner.

the mesh jackets are comfortable all the way up into the high 90's. lots of air flows through. except at stop signs, of course - then they're ovens.

the solid textile jacket is what i wear when the temp is below ~ 60.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Postby mgospo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:34 am

I hear you loud and clear about the hot stops. I usually don't like wearing my Teknic in the afternoon, even without the liner because its so warm. I live in south Mississippi where 80 degrees is the average afternoon temp about 10 months out of the year, and its humid as hell. As soon as you step outside here its like hitting a brick wall.

I feel like I should though, just for the added security of the armor, but sometimes its just too dang hot. Its pretty nice now so I have been wearing it and its okay, but by June there's now way. Its hotter than I thought.
mgospo

Postby misu on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm

mgospo wrote:Yeah,

I definitely love the feel and the LOOK of a leather jacket. I'll be getting one for the winter probably. I first thought it would be sort of pretentious looking to be putting around on a 49cc engine with a badass leather bikers jacket, but to be honest, I really don't care how pretentious it looks. Just because I like motor scooters AND I like leather jackets doesn't make me pretentious. (textually re-assuring myself)

go for it! leather is not functional but yeah, it looks and feels great. the alpinestars halo didn't work out -- wrong size.

a friend of mine (ducati rider) just bought a dainese jacket (onsale at cyclegear). i know, pricey -- and ducati/dainese shouts "pretentious" or various other "p" words.... but whatever, i'm all for people wearing or riding whatever they choose. but as his friend, i wanted him to be protected. this guy was wearing an old non-armored bomber jacket, spending all kinds of $ on carbon upgrades. so no mistake about it, his $400 jacket was much nicer than any of the $200 leather jackets i've tried on.

super soft leather and padded armor so you can barely feel they're there when you're wearing the jacket. truly amazing. shouldn't have tried it on because now i want one!
misu

Postby Bustin on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Vanson is another company that , like Dainese,makes some very, very beefy leather jackets . A typical Vanson leather jacket weighs about 10 pounds, it's serious stuff. Vanson jackets are favored by riders that understand (and often need) the kind of protection that only a heavy leather jacket provides ( incidentally, I don't really qualify, since I seldom ride on the edge and haven't crashed in ages). Unlike Dainese, which is associated with "european" bikes, Vanson does not suffer from the "P" factor , in fact , they are highly regarded by the knee dragger types, and hardcore riders in general, and are a long time player in the old school SoCa roadracer and flat tracker scene.

Too hot in summer, not waterproof in foul weather...leather has some glaring weak points for a daily rider . However, it is still the hands-down winner for crash protection, particularly when it comes to abrasion resistance when sliding on asphalt. They are also very cool and sexy looking, cost lots of money, and have that leather smell that most people really like.

I have a couple of badass leather jackets that I really love to wear when riding, but sadly, they see little use because if it isn't too hot for one up here in Seattle, it's typically raining. My Alpinestars Verona and First Gear mesh jackets see a lot more daily use , because they handle the various weather conditions much better. But during those months between winter and summer , when temps are mild and the skies are clear, I do like to break out the nice leather jacket and enjoy !

Oh , HELL yeah ..... (!)
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby misu on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:39 am

Bustin wrote:Vanson is another company

like your style bustin! i love vanson's simple style and indestructible reputation and quality. can't wait to try one. a local bike shop makes one (google proitalia vanson jacket) and it looks awesome. but $600!

i'm a slimmer guy so like the look of the cafe racer style jackets ... but would prefer armor in the form of the comet or drifter.

bmg's montana looks like an option too...

basically i want a jacket that i can wear on and off the scooter/motorcycle and last a lifetime. just need to try on a vanson to make a final decision...
misu

Postby mgospo on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 am

That is a rad jacket.

I like that style a lot. It kind of covers all the bases. You would look awesome in that jacket on a scooter, cruiser, or sport bike. Or a bicycle for that matter. Like Misu said, a jacket that can be worn on or off bike.
mgospo

Postby Bustin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:00 pm

mgospo wrote:That is a rad jacket.

I like that style a lot. It kind of covers all the bases. You would look awesome in that jacket on a scooter, cruiser, or sport bike. Or a bicycle for that matter. Like Misu said, a jacket that can be worn on or off bike.

Yes, indeed. I have all three types of bikes , and that jacket looks good on all of them. LOTS of compliments on that one, although , like I said, the conditions in which it is actually truly practical to wear are infrequent around here (Seattle). While I love my leather ,and the protection is certainly there, I find myself sacrificing comfort for lookin' cool , which has become less and less important to me over the years.

Another kickass Vanson jacket : Still burly , but leaning more towards the casual fashion and less towards the hardcore roadracer design...
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion