Always wear a jacket!

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Always wear a jacket!

Postby TBStu on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:45 pm

I wear the Z1R Velocity jacket. Very good quality; cool enough for warm days with a zip in liner for cool days. It is essential in that it is an armor jacket with elbow pads and back protector, both removable if you want. I paid $118.00 at motorcycle superstore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBStu

Postby mgospo on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:31 pm

good looking jacket.
2009 Metropolitan - Graphite
mgospo

Postby mgospo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:52 am

I just found two zipper-vents (under the sleeve near the arm-pit) that I didn't know my jacket had. Just in time for warmer temperatures too! That's a convenient find with summer on the way.
mgospo

Postby misu on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Bustin wrote: Another kickass Vanson jacket : Still burly , but leaning more towards the casual fashion and less towards the hardcore roadracer design...

great looking jacket on house.

so i was on vacation last week (ran the boston marathon) and we stopped by the vanson factory/store in fall river. a very cool old school factory with some old cafe racer type bikes in the shop area. the shop area was staffed by this guy brian -- the most friendly guy i think i've met. i was expecting an intimidating bearded dude for some reason, but instead met this plumpish super friendly/smiley guy who wanted me to try on like every model of jackets they had.

the competition weight leathers are super thick leather...man, i understand now, bustin, why you say hardcore riders would swear by vanson.

the lighter weight (firenze they call it) is still quite sturdy and definitely on par with the thickness of most alpinestars/dainese jackets i've felt. the zippers are super heavy duty -- almost ridiculously overbuilt, all metal and the size of my fingers! beefy. if it raced, i'd get a 38 which is my chest size...tight (which would break in into a custom fit)...but in terms of off the rack comfort with room for layering, more consistent with my commuting use, a 40 would be better. the drifter with stripes was comfy and my wife's favorite.

what are folks thoughts on a leather jacket (vanson quality) but no armor? i've become a believer of AGATT but does a non-armor leather jacket count? or is that fashion/comfort over function/protection? i guess it's better than a t-shirt only...
misu

Postby Bustin on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:59 am

misu wrote:what are folks thoughts on a leather jacket (vanson quality) but no armor? i've become a believer of AGATT but does a non-armor leather jacket count? or is that fashion/comfort over function/protection? i guess it's better than a t-shirt only...

The leather is the armor, in a competition weight jacket . The CV armor that you see in so many textile jackets was developed to replace the natural abrasion resistance of thick leather. You will see CV armor in some leather jackets now, usually to reinforce a firenze or other thinner leather . Basically, the industry has been trying to develop lighter weight, more comfortable jackets that can provide abrasion resistance on par with the old school heavy-weight leathers. Heat is the big issue, because those heavy leather jackets are unbearable when the temperature goes north of say, 70 degrees.

Opinions vary on this subject , but it's telling that virtually all road racers still wear a fairly heavy, full leather track suit, regardless of the temperature. Many of the pros even have elaborate air conditioners built into their track suits.

Let's see.... 48 degrees , not raining, partly sunny here in Seattle this AM..... might be a leather jacket for the ride to work today ;)
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby oxford_scooter on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm

I picked up a speed/strength jacket last year at Motorcycle SuperStore for $56.00 - sure it's
more of a sports-bike jacket but for $56.00 I had to buy it - mesh with removable liner. Looks
like something out of a Michael Jackson Video but I shives-a-gets and besides if it gets me
noticed on the road then it's performing a triple-duty....

When I bought my V-Star 250 I picked up a leather jacket at leatherup.com for $119. This
thing weighs about 20 pounds and it has armor in it to boot - and a removable liner - and on
chilly days really keeps you warm - and in pouring rain keeps you dry as well. Besides that it
looks bad-azz as hell but is also comfortable and functional.

Now if I could find a full-face helmet I can live with - I picked up a Scorpion EX-400 as super-store
for $139 but the thing was soooo tight and tooooo quiet - yea toooo quiet - go figure - I could
hardly hear the engine - and the chin-snap was like platic - I'm sticking with my 3/4 for now and
will shop again this fall for a full-face. One thing I noticed is my 3/4 is 'roundish' and the full-face
was egg-shaped and when I gave my head a quick-turn I could really feel the wind blow my head
with the full face on. So when I shop for another I'm going to look for a 'rounder' helmet. One that's
not so quiet too :)
oxford_scooter

Postby misu on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am

Bustin wrote:The leather is the armor, in a competition weight jacket

make sense. i noticed most "vintage" motorcycle jackets are armor free... but if they're heavy weight leather, they are build to last.

i'm not a racer, i commute with max mph 50 (elite 110). i want to be protected but it's nice to be comfortable and looking good is a bonus. leather is durable, protective, and looks good...

if i get a perforated one, it may replace my textile corazzo max for winter/spring/fall for here in so. cal. i do like the low key look of the max and it's temperature range is quite good. but the relatively too loose fit of the elbow armor, overall torso, as well as velcro only wrists, make me worried the jacket would slide out of place in a crash and thus not be as protective as it could. i see guys riding around with unzipped leather jackets and wonder what's the point... i guess it's always a trade off between protection and comfort.

happy riding and hope it still rain free but slightly chilly so you can use your vanson!
misu

Postby hamstrings on Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Just dumped my Met evading a driver that decided to turn in front of me while I was making a left turn. Guy never saw me even though I was signalling about half a block away. Got caught on the centre stand and went into a lowside into the sidewalk. It was pretty comfy sliding on my Alpinestars jacket. My knee under a pair of jeans, not so much. Just a minor scrape on my knee. Wear your jacket and gloves.
hamstrings

Postby Bustin on Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

hamstrings wrote:It was pretty comfy sliding on my Alpinestars jacket. My knee under a pair of jeans, not so much.

Glad to hear you got only a few scrapes. Crashing is always a b*tch .

There are reinforced riding jeans available, they have abrasion resistant panels sewn into the knees and seat. Very effective in keeping your bare skin off the road, especially in the relatively low-speed crash you described. Alpinestars , Shift, and Icon all make versions of these jeans , to name a few. Some of them actually look cool , so you get the double goodness of function plus fashion.

I own several pair, and wear these jeans a lot during the warmer months , when the overpants I typically wear in the cold and rain become unnecessary. When extreme heat hits (rare here) , I wear my mesh overpants over casual shorts , which rides a little cooler than the jeans , plus you can rock the summer shorts once you get where your going on the bike.
Bustin

Postby hamstrings on Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 pm

I had a look at my gloves today, and I can clearly see where I had been sliding on them. I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants that say Honda down the side, but they're overkill for the Met. I'll definitely look into armored jeans.
hamstrings

Postby misu on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Bustin wrote:The leather is the armor,

bustin,

do you wear a back protector in your vanson?

the vanson i tried on had shoulder and elbow armor built in. there's giant loose pocket for a back protector with what looked like a giant square velcro patch to attach back armor. seemed different from the shaped pockets i've seen in other jackets specific to certain brands of back protectors.
misu

Postby Bustin on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm

misu wrote:
Bustin wrote:The leather is the armor,

bustin,

do you wear a back protector in your vanson?

Mine has one as standard equipment , but it's a fairly serious racing model , and that's typical of that style. The more casual a jacket gets in design , the more likely the manufacturer is to make cv inserts (armor) optional, or even eliminate them entirely. For example, my Alpinestars Verona has only elbow and shoulder inserts as standard equipment , but you can add an optional back protector and chest protectors if desired (I did) .

Just about all armor is removable now , because some people don't like the feel of it, or are willing to sacrifice protection for appearance or comfort. It doesn't bother me at all, so I generally leave it in, and add any optional bits available....not so much for that low-speed scooter type slide, but more in case of a get-off on one of my bigger bikes at higher speeds , with the associated increase in slide time and overall abrasion. You can end up sliding for a long, long way , and really grind through some material , if you hit the pavement at freeways speeds.
Bustin

Postby misu on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:32 am

Bustin wrote: Mine has one as standard equipment , but it's a fairly serious racing model , and that's typical of that style. The more casual a jacket gets in design , the more likely the manufacturer is to make cv inserts (armor) optional, or even eliminate them entirely. For example, my Alpinestars Verona has only elbow and shoulder inserts as standard equipment , but you can add an optional back protector and chest protectors if desired (I did) .

Just about all armor is removable now , because some people don't like the feel of it, or are willing to sacrifice protection for appearance or comfort. It doesn't bother me at all, so I generally leave it in, and add any optional bits available....not so much for that low-speed scooter type slide, but more in case of a get-off on one of my bigger bikes at higher speeds , with the associated increase in slide time and overall abrasion. You can end up sliding for a long, long way , and really grind through some material , if you hit the pavement at freeways speeds.

cool. yeah, i have the alpinestars verona air and love it. got the bioarmor back protector and will get the chest pads soon. i figure if i'm going to wear specific gear/clothes for riding, it should be maxed out in it's ability to protect me. didn't realize how often chest injuries are too so it's great alpinestars includes the option to add chest protection, even in "city collection" type jackets like the verona.

if i got a leather, i'd outfit it with the armor too. it just seemed the vanson i saw had a huge wide pocket that was different from the shaped pockets in the alpinestars and corazzo max.
misu

Postby mgospo on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:57 am

So I'm beginning to feel like a bit of a hypocrite. It's been so hot lately I have been riding with no jacket at all for weeks. Plus I'm wearing a 3/4 instead of my full face. Living on the edge I guess...I feel a lot more comfortable now though, if that counts for anything towards safety in some bass-akwards way....
mgospo

Postby MortalStrain on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:21 pm

mgospo wrote:...I feel a lot more comfortable now though, if that counts for anything towards safety in some bass-akwards way....

You mean like how la-z-boy contributes to personal fitness?
2008 Honda CHF50S
MortalStrain

PreviousNext

Return to Apparel Discussion