Just got a new HJC SyMaxII

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Just got a new HJC SyMaxII

Postby alx101598 on Fri May 20, 2011 6:19 am

I love it! With my weight loss I was using a helmet that was too big, it was an XL and this year I was riding and the wind was blowing and it was blowing it sideways on my head. So I decided to suck it up and get a new one but I wanted a modular with the sun shade.

I wanted yellow to match my Reflex but this was is pearl white, oh well, they say light colors show up better (and no one wreck my fun by telling me white is a bad color please) I love the sun shade. Its so nice that it fits too - this one is a medium.
1984 Honda Aero 125
2003 Honda Reflex "Yellow Scoot"
alx101598

Re: Just got a new HJC SyMaxII

Postby GizmoGal on Fri May 20, 2011 4:14 pm

I own that same modular helmet in candy red to match my new red Elite 110. Because I have a real pinhead, I took the XS and it fits perfectly. Snug but comfortable. I find the helmet to be a really good value with superb features. I do like that drop down/flip up inner sun visor which I use along with sunglasses and there is no problem getting eyeglasses or sunglasses under both the sun visor and/or the face shield. Nice padding and the helmet is relatively lightweight. The clear, optically perfect face shield is easy to change out if it gets scratched, without use of any tools.

I bought this helmet at a very good price as a closeout online at MotorcycleGear (formerly New Enough). It is still available for the price I paid, $129.99, with free shipping.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... elmet.html

That place ships same day as your order and their communication and customer service is superb. For those of you, like alx and me, who want or need a new helmet, if you enjoy the full face modular style, this is a fine quality helmet in many colors.

Alx, congratulations on your impressive weight loss. If I lost enough weight to make my head any smaller I be buying a helmet in a Youth size!

White is a very good choice for visibility and a mod look. You can always apply a reflective sticker in yellow or other contrast if you want to dress the new SyMax II up a little. Ride safe.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby AtLarge on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:25 am

I have a I and a II. Very comfortable and I like the sunshield. Very convenient along with the flip up. They are kinda noisy at highway speeds but I think all modulars are. You have to give up a little to wind noise with any modular helmet. I added reflective decals to mine just for a little added safety factor.

AtLarge

Postby cutehogg on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:17 pm

I wear a HJC Symax 2001 model, I only paid 5 bucks for it this year at a garage sale, it is pearl white, just a little whiter than my Met. The story is, this guy bought a "crotch rocket" bike just before he got married, he enjoyed his riding his bike better than riding his new wife =)) so one day his new wife rebeled and told him "The bike or Me" one of us has to go! He sold his bike and kept the helmet because he married into a ready made family, the new wife had two teen boys. So he let them use the helmet when they played street hockey. He said he paid around 400 bucks for it new. The boys grew out of street games and went to college. He put the helmet in his garage sale for 50.00 the sale was for 3 days, the helmet didn't sell, on the 3rd. day I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, when he said....First 5 bucks takes it, I jumped at that price no matter what size it was. When I got it home, I was taking the liner out to wash it and found 2 stickers on the foam liner, one said made in Dec. 2001 and the other said, Large, just my size, fits snug, no scratches on shield or outer helmet. Just my kind of luck...Larry
Exposure to the Son prevents burning!
cutehogg

Postby KABarash on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Larry, not to rain on your parade but that helmet is 13 years old. What I've read the average life expectancy of a helmet is 3-5 years, damage free. Something about the 'insides' degrading over time.
If a helmet takes a 'hit' it's a one time thing, replace it right away.
Remember it's your brains in that bucket. If you're wearing it, it may as well protect you properly....
''04 Honda Met. 'Archie'
'08 Buddy 150 St. Tropez 'Simon'
EPSP #136
KABarash

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Here's more about why old undamaged helmets may be a risk. Partly because their impact protective materials may degrade over the years as they dry out or are exposed to changing air, humidity, temps, etc. and partly because better materials are developed every couple of years. So no older helmet would have the best protection compared to one that was manufactured with the most recent beneficial designs and materials.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780904

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/com ... t_after_5/

http://blog.jafrum.com/2011/06/22/for-h ... lmet-okay/

No doubt your brain is worth more than $5; you might rethink the value and protection offered by a garage sale bargain helmet more than a decade old. :-o

If you are willing to spend money on parts to modify your bike's performance, you could spend money on a helmet that will prevent modification of your brain's performance. 8-}
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Apparel Discussion