wearing protective gear

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

wearing protective gear

Postby cuterscooter on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I would like some honest opinions on wearing jackets and pants while riding a 50cc scooter,that might go 40 mph. It just seems like so much gear to wear for something that doesn't go that fast. I mean bicyclists can go fast and they don't wear padded jackets. A helmet is a definite must in my opinion though. I don't want to start a big stink ,I am just trying to make up my mind, I live about 3 miles away from my job.
cuterscooter

Re: wearing protective gear

Postby Jecker7 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm

At a minimum i wear a full face helmet, jacket, jeans, and gloves. Usually boots too, and if it's not blazing hot, my padded pants. My motivation is simply this: if i get into an accident and am injured in a way that i would have otherwise been protected had i been wearing something else, i am sure going to regret it. I dont want to have known better.
'07 Ruby Honda Met - "Ron Burgundy"
Jecker7

Postby tortoise on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:33 pm

cuterscooter wrote:just trying to make up my mind

Consider simulating (NOT on scooter) a mishap . . drop to your knees and roll on some asphalt (perhaps in an empty parking lot).
Knee protection suggestion.
tortoise

Postby nfocusdesign on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 pm

They make armored jackets that are well ventilated for summer use. I've worn mine in over 90 degree temps and don't usually get hot until I stop at a light for an extended period. Jacket or not, I'd still be hot in that situation. It also has a removable liner, so if it is cool in the morning, I have the liner in to block wind and keep me warm. Then I just take out in the afternoon. 40mph may not seem like much until you find yourself sliding down the pavement. At that point, you'll be grateful for every last thread and piece of armor that is between you and the pavement. I always wear helmet, armored jacket, gloves and boots. Plus if you choose a brightly colored jacket, it can make you more visible to others.
nfocusdesign

Postby hamstrings on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:08 pm

I wear jeans when it's sunny out, but near sundown, I have my armored jacket and pants. It's true that crashes happen when you're near your home, when you are off guard. 3 mi doesn't matter. Had a crash two weeks ago a few blocks from home. Worst I got was a scraped knee under my jeans since my jacket and gloves took most of the impact and slide.

At the very least, have the jacket and gloves. You can lose a lot of blood through your hands, since your first instinct might be to put your hands down and try to stop while sliding. Wear long pants too.
hamstrings

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28 am

I wear a full face (modular) helmet (HJC Sy-Max II), since it is compulsory in NY state to wear a helmet riding a scooter/motorcycle. I started life with a full face and I hope to still have one after any mishap. Since you acknowledge that wearing a helmet goes without argument, it only remains what style you feel is proper protection for your own head and face.

I also wear armored gloves, winter and summer. My summer gloves are lightweight mesh but have solid, hard reinforcement at the knuckles and sturdy leather palms (Olympia model 734). I always wear shoes, never sandals or other open footwear, though I do not wear boots. I mostly wear jeans when riding, even in summer.

My riding radius is usually less than ten miles from home. I do not consider how far I ride a factor in the possibility of being involved in an injurious accident. One mistake of mine or that of a driver or pedestrian and I can be hurt being "disconnected" from the bike and violently connected to the pavement with maybe a long scrape for my body to go through before I stop. That could happen at any distance from home.

I don't think there is any comparison with a bicycle that can "go fast" on defined paths or the edges of a street driving lane and a scooter exposed to 40 mph speeds and automobiles in full traffic lanes. The last year of nationwide statistics available (2009) showed 603 bicycle fatalities , and 4,281 fatalities of motorcyclists (scooters were not broken out in the stats).
http://www.gjel.com/news/traffic-deaths ... nwide.html

Your safety is a personal decision. Some wear all the gear, armored and protected, all the time, some don't; some cover parts that they feel are most vulnerable in a spill. Make decisions based on your fears and your riding competence, as well as opinions shared here. :-?
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby MortalStrain on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 pm

I wear a full face helmet, an armored mesh jacked (with removable liner), t-pro forcefield rib protector and
armored, leather gloves everywhere I go. I don't wear what I consider to be any form of suitable protection on my
lower body. In the event of an incident my bum, hips, legs, knees, ankles and feet will all be vulnerable. It's a
risk I've decided to live with to this point. When it rains, I add waterproof and armored overpants to my outfit and switch to waterproof gloves.

I scoot 140 miles a week in commuting alone. Then there's weekends and errands, etc. and as I suspect is probably the case for most of us, my journeys are, for the most part, enjoyable and unintimidating. Things can change in an instant, however.

I learned sharply one evening on my way home from work how true this can be when I failed to detect a small truck that was on it's way toward entering my path perpendicularly. I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye at the last second while traveling at 40mph, desperately attempted to brake and swerve but there was just no time. It happened incredibly fast. I had just enough time to hear my rear tire lock up when I would have impacted his front fender. If HE hadn't seen me and stamped on his brakes I would have hit his front fender and been flung more violently then I care to imagine down the street, or worse yet, stopped abruptly with the scooter.

That close call is what inspired me to a) be as aware of what's ahead, when changing lanes to pass a left-turn-bound vehicle, as I am to see that I have space in the lane next to me to change into b) purchase my rib protector.
2008 Honda CHF50S
MortalStrain

Postby tortoise on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:01 am

An ounce of prevention . . .
tortoise

Postby misu on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

cuterscooter wrote:I would like some honest opinions on wearing jackets and pants while riding a 50cc scooter,that might go 40 mph. It just seems like so much gear to wear for something that doesn't go that fast. I mean bicyclists can go fast and they don't wear padded jackets. A helmet is a definite must in my opinion though. I don't want to start a big stink ,I am just trying to make up my mind, I live about 3 miles away from my job.

i see where you're coming from...being a cyclist with minimal spandex and a lightweight helmet and going up to 50mph down some fast canyons, how come i gear up on the scooter?

well, at least on bike, most of the time i'm in a bike lane or on fairly car free roads. the gear (full face helmet, jackets, etc) while important in case you lay down the bike due to rider error, is mostly to protect you from car vs scooter. i'm zipping through city traffic/cars with the scooter and not so with the bike (too much ;-)).

also, practically, while cycling, i need ventilation and lightweight vs on a scooter gear can be heavy/armored without being too limiting.

my first (and only and hopefully last) crash was when i was new to scooter riding...50cc scoot, wearing, fortunately a full face modular helmet (cheap zeus 1 size too large because i didn't know any better), no gloves, and just a windstopper jacket and khakis. t-boned by a car at an intersection. helmet, despite being sl too big, saved me from serious damage. armored gear would've saved me a lot of soreness and abrasion.

so now i ride with a appropriately fitted helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and overpants (usually).

there's plenty of comfortable gear that will be easy on/off -- i can see how for a short 3 mile ride, it would seem overkill to get super geard up. but i think at minimum you should consider helmet, gloves, and jacket. the gloves and jacket can be practical anyways (keep you warm, pockets, bugs off your nice clothes). for longer rides, pants and boots probably a good idea.
misu

Postby dkw12002 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I can tell you that in Texas nobody wears much protective gear on scooters unless they are on the interstate riding a maxi scooter. Harleys, about half the time, sports bikes, usually, scooters, never. I've seen hundreds of scooter riders and never yet saw anything except helmets, jeans, sometimes gloves...not a single leather or protective pants or jackets. I have also never seen anyone in a full-face helmet on a scooter in town. Personally, I would vote against a full-face helmet in town cause I don't think you can be as alert with those.
dkw12002

Postby hamstrings on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Oh, you get used to the full face helmet quickly. Over a 3/4 helmet, it simply adds the chin bar. I can hear just fine with the visor down, but speaking is tougher. ;)

Here in Vancouver, it depends on the scooter. The guys and gals with sportier or more powerful scooters tend to have full face or modular.
hamstrings

Postby mgospo on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:20 am

I have both a 3/4 and a full-face modular. I don't think the 3/4 makes me any more "alert" at all. I can see just as well peripherally in the full-face helmet. I just prefer the 3/4 in warmer temperatures.
2009 Metropolitan - Graphite
mgospo

Postby misu on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 am

i used to have one of those harley cruiser cap type helmets in case of a passenger.

i'd wear it sometimes on warm days. came to realize i much preferred my flip up. felt much safer. could see just as well. liked wind/debris protection for my eyes/face. on warm days i just flip it up at stops for venting, works great.
misu

Postby EvilNerdLord on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:13 pm

I wear a tourmaster air intake jacket, FF most of the time, fox sport knee/shin under jeans and if too warm, leave off the jacket and pop on fox sport elbows....

9 months non-weight bearing from a shattered knee from a <3 mph spill (in chaps, on a heavy cruiser), now facing knee replacement....taught me ARMOR!, HARD ARMOR..just like roller blading, MX, BMX, skateboarding, etc...

Because, pavement doesn't care...

BTW, My ride is stella 4T, but 80% of my riding is < 45mph.
EvilNerdLord

Postby JaneBr on Sun May 15, 2016 8:02 am

Wear armour , be smart even falling of a bike at a standsill will hurt.
Keep your face and brains whole and georgeous.
JaneBr

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion