Goggles/over your glasses scooter wear: recommendations?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Goggles/over your glasses scooter wear: recommendations?

Postby sidceaser on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 am

Hi gang,

I've hit the age where I have to start wearing glasses for long-distance sight.

Just wondering what those who wear glasses while scootering wear that doesn't get in the way of the glasses. Any comfortable over-the-glasses goggles out there? Anyone wearing scooter glasses that go over your regular glasses?

Just curious what is out there from those with real hand experience.

Thanks!
http://www.ceaserphotography.com
------------------------------------------
2006 Metropolitan
sidceaser

Re: Goggles/over your glasses scooter wear: recommendations?

Postby hondamatic on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:38 pm

If I understand your question, I have worn glasses since high school, more years ago than I care to remember. As for what to wear when scooting down the road, I have a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. It is better than just wearing goggles over glasses since it protects most of your head. Your face is not protected in a crash nearly as well as a full face helmet but it is protected from bugs.
I am going to get a full face helmet as soon as I can find one that fits with my glasses. I have found out by trying them on that a modular helmet is what I will need since I can put the helmet on and then put my glasses on after the helmet is on my head. Otherwise it will take an act of congress to get my glasses on my head after the helmet is in place.
I would strongly recommend that you do get a helmet if you don't have one and if you do a face shield will do what you are asking, protect your eyes at the same time you are wearing glasses.
I am sorry if I rambled on too much.
Have fun and be safe out there.
hondamatic

Postby sidceaser on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks!

I do wear helmets - I have a 3/4 helmet that I wear. Up until these new glasses I wore a foam/padded pair of motorcycle googles/glasses as I have a hard time with wind hitting my eyes and tearing up something fierce.

I got my glasses a few months ago before taking the scoot out of storage, instantly realizing that what I've been wearing for eye cover will need to change.

:-B

Just wondering if everyone with glasses is using larger bulky goggles, or glasses with Rx lenses in them, or full helmets, etc.

Cheers,
Sid
http://www.ceaserphotography.com
------------------------------------------
2006 Metropolitan
sidceaser

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:56 pm

I wear a modular, full face helme,t. That's a helmet with a solid chin bar but a latch that enables the front of the helmet to be raised and lowered. I wear prescription eyeglasses since childhood, so I'm wearing glasses every time I put on my helmet. In addition, I wear a pair of fit-over sunglasses over the eyeglasses. My helmet also has a pull-down built in sunshade inside the face shield, if I desire to use it, but I like polarized sunglasses better.

Both pair of glasses, one over the other, fit comfortably and easily under the face shield of the helmet (size XS). My procedure is to remove glasses and hold sunglasses aside. Pull on helmet and fasten chin strap snugly. Pop open chin bar latch and raise front of helmet. Slip eyeglasse on and then sunglasses. Yeah, ear pieces may need a bit of wiggle to slide past temples under helmet. When glasses and sunglasses are in place, lower chin bar and latch properly. To remove helmet, I raise the chin bar and take off the glasses first, then pull off the helmet.

Riding more than 10 years and 15,000 miles with Rx glasses and fit-over sunglasses and full face protection. Don't need goggles and I plan to come out of a crash with a functioning brain and a full face. No guarantee, but a good chance. A half helmet and goggles are less likely to provide that.

If you need to wear glasses to see, buy a full face or modular helmet that fits and your glasses will fit. B-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby hondamatic on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 am

What kind of helmet is that Gizmo? I have been looking for a modular flip up helmet with the flip down shade but haven't been too successful yet. I currently have an HJC open face with a shield but as I age I find that I am growing more attached to my chin and nose and would hate to lose them now in case of a crash.
hondamatic

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:51 am

Helmet in picture is similar to helmet that I described as my own. Photo was a generic modular to show that a modular helmet is a full-face helmet, but has the flip up feature, too, so the OP, sidceaser, sees what I mean. Ideal for folks who wear glasses under their helmets and want it easy but good head protection.

However, Hondamatic, the helmet I wear is quite similar in looks and color. It is an HJC Symax II modular. Now out of stock everywhere as it is a discontinued model. If you like the look and fit of an HJC, they are modestly priced, extremely comfortable and true to size on their size chart, if you measure your head and follow the chart for a good fit.

So here's my suggestion. Although the SyMax II is no longer around, you can buy a current model
HJC IS Max 2 helmet and get that same drop down sun shield that retracts with a push button and adjusts to three positions. It's under $200. Look here for good choices of colors and sizes. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc- ... lmet-solid Be sure to watch the video on that page--it covers every detail of the helmet features and advantages. Also free shipping. Other vendor to try is
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/69 ... lar-helmet

There is also the HJC Symax III which is just the next up model from the Symax II I own. But it is closer to $300 and would not be my choice.

Highly recommend HJC helmets for comfort and quality as well as that nifty sun shield. Hope I've helped.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby hondamatic on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks Giz, I will check out those sites. I like the fit of HJC and will go with them.
Happy riding!
hondamatic

Postby New2Scoots on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm

I wear glasses but over 30 mph the wind still hits my eyes & they tear up until I'm squinting & can hardly see. I got safety glasses at Home Depot that fit over my glasses & work great. All clear plastic & cost about $5.00. No more wind in the eyes. So far they don't scratch easily. I rinse off the bug juice & keep them under my seat with the helmet & gloves. I wear a Vega XTA half helmet in hi viz yellow when riding the Metro around the neighborhood. On the Buddy or Suzuki I ride further out & wear a Schuberth C3 Pro modular full face helmet, also hi viz yellow. That one's pricey but super quiet on the highways.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2013 Honda NCH 50
2007 Suzuki VStrom 650
New2Scoots

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Some of eye coverage, with or without vision correcting glasses, is dictated by helmet law in some states. For instance, New York State helmet law requires DOT approved goggles or a face shield be worn with a DOT motorcycle helmet. In NY a half helmet with Home Depot safety glasses would be illegal, even if a rider considered that sufficient.

As for me, I don't consider neighborhood scooting less dangerous than highway riding. Getting hit by a bad driver or a street speeder running a stop sign going 35-40 mph will send me airborne for a hard landing or a face plant or skidding along the pavement taking skin off me even in the streets. If I prefer full face protection I wear a full face modular helmet for all riding conditions. Eye protection is provided by my DOT graded face shield, not eyewear meant to protect me from a flying wood chip.

Everyone should ride with what is comfortable and legally required. Many think ATGATT is the way, some accept the minimum coverage. First inquiry is to find out what state helmet protection law is and then approach compliance mindful of comfort and convenience.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby goodsimphone on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:04 pm

But it is closer to $300 and would not be my choice.
gclub มือถือ
goodsimphone

Return to Apparel Discussion