'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Postby JeremyZ on Wed May 16, 2007 7:36 pm

She got off easy, if you ask me. She seemed to still have her teeth & jaw.
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sat May 19, 2007 7:39 am

I know the DOT / Snell helmets afford the maximum protection, but they seem a bit much for a scooter that struggles to get over 40. I'll probably get jumped on for asking this, but here goes anyway:

Has anyone considered using a full face BMX / downhill skiing helmet with a Metropolitan?

Another alternative I've considered is a motocross helmet.
Paddy_Crow

I know the trade-offs

Postby tmn72tx on Sat May 19, 2007 7:53 am

I know the trade-offs. With no helmet, you really feel free. Wind through your hair, the whole bit.

With a full face helmet, you might as well be in a car, IMHO. I don't like the way they feel. I don't want to leave my head completely open in a crash, but I don't want to be as restricted as a full-face is.

If you want a full-face, great. I don't, and intend to stay that way. I am making a choice, and I know that. Hopefully one I won't regret, but all the same, I prefer my 3/4 helmet.
2007 Honda Helix
tmn72tx

Postby ronnath on Sat May 19, 2007 9:19 am

uuuuummmmmm................

do the math.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Seat belts

Postby tmn72tx on Sat May 19, 2007 9:29 am

Do you also use a 5 point safety harness in your car?

What about a roll cage?

Why not? They are proven devices to help keep you safe. There are trade-offs we make every day bewtween safety and convenience.

I'll keep with what I have, thank you.
2007 Honda Helix
tmn72tx

Postby sooznd on Sat May 19, 2007 10:15 am

Choice of helmet is very personal. Some people will ride a whole lot more aggressively than others whereas others ride more leisurely and cautiously.

I admit I wear my 3/4 helmet 90% of the time while I am in town.
& the FF the rest of the time when I ride out of town on 45+ mph roads.

I feel I can turn my head better, see a lot more and am much more aware of traffic, sounds & surroundings with the 3/4.
With the FF my peripheral vision is not as great and I have to turn my head to see oncoming traffic, whereas I can just glance with my 3/4 to see my surroundings.
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby MGA531 on Sat May 19, 2007 12:31 pm

sooznd wrote:Choice of helmet is very personal. Some people will ride a whole lot more aggressively than others whereas others ride more leisurely and cautiously.

I admit I wear my 3/4 helmet 90% of the time while I am in town.
& the FF the rest of the time when I ride out of town on 45+ mph roads.

I feel I can turn my head better, see a lot more and am much more aware of traffic, sounds & surroundings with the 3/4.
With the FF my peripheral vision is not as great and I have to turn my head to see oncoming traffic, whereas I can just glance with my 3/4 to see my surroundings.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel safer in the ff helmet, but what I gain in visibility I think makes up for it. Plus, I hate having to tilt my head down to see the speedometer.
2009 Yamaha Majesty.
Previous bikes: 85 Spree, 06 Metropolitan, 06 Vino 125
MGA531

Re: Nah, I don't need a full face helmet.

Postby domromer on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:50 pm

My wife used to wear a half helmet while riding her razz. One day she was riding home from work and a truck cut across the intersection and she had no time to turn and ran straight into it. She need stiches, staples and plastic surgery. If she was wearing a full face helmet she probably would have sustained no injuries to her face.

I can post pictures of what crashing with an open face helmet looks like.
Dustybootsphotography.com
domromer

Postby Bustin on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Some people wear little half-helmets or whatever , knowingly accepting the additional risk of injury compared to a FF. That's fine, it's a personal decision. I don't agree with it, but it's not my call. People skydive and bungee jump , too....with inherent risk. One could argue that getting on a bike or a scooter is accepting a certain amount of injury potential , in the first place.

The ones that get to me are the "denial" crowd , that try to pretend that they aren't choosing to expose themselves to more potential for injury with those little play-helmets , or argue that full face helmets are somehow a riskier propostion , or that toy helmets are just as safe . I don't get that at all , probably because it makes absolutley no sense.

You shouldn't need tons of data to prove that many crashes are going to involve some sort of face plant or pavement chewing . Most do. Ask around .

If you can't see properly out of your full face helmet , something is wrong with the fit, shield , or overall design. I suppose if you bought a 20 year old Bell at a garage sale that was three sizes too big for you and had a thrashed up face shield, it might not perform well. Try on a decent, new lid, like an HJC , Shoei , Nolan, or Arai , that actually fits your head, and tell me that you can't see out of it , or that your vision is restricted. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that most of the goggles and sunglasses worn by open face afficionados restrict vision more than a quality full face, and when you throw the wind , dirt, and debris slamming into your face at speed, with accompanying tearing up and blinking......

How do I know this ? I've tried a little skull cap with shades before, more by necessity than choice . It sucked , and luckily I didn't have to test it in a crash.

Wear what you want , but don't try to tell me that a little brain bucket is as safe as a full face, because it isn't, plain and simple , in more ways than one. You will see very, very few dedicated motorcyclists that log serious mileage, and stay in the game for many years, wearing anything but a top quality , full face helmet , and that is because experience is a great teacher.

You will see many inexperienced noobies or weekend warriors wearing toy helmets , because they just don't know any better , or consider style and fashion to be more important than good safety gear. Those that ride for awhile and learn, typically gear up over time , as experience sinks in . Others typically stop riding after awhile, often citing "too dangerous" as a reason for selling their bikes. Oh, the irony.

(slightly used soapbox for sale, PM me) :))
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby tmn72tx on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Bustin', your logic is dead on. Thanks for not attacking my point of view, but still expressing yours very accurately.

I have actually come around a bit. I have been looking at full face helmets. I tried on a couple of really sweet HJC models (they were on sale and quite nice) but still having the thing on felt so weird.

I'm still debating if I want to step up a notch in safety. The full-face would be nice in two other areas. Rain and dust. Both a real bother in the 3/4 helmet.

That being said, as pointed out in this thread, full-face is absolutely the way to go for safety. What you choose is up to you, but if someone were to ask, I would tell them a full-face is the safest and to start there.

Maybe hypocritical of me. But I would feel awful if I told someone not to get a full, and they smashed the crap out of their face. So if you're asking me, get a full-face. (please realize my last posts were over a year ago. I've matured since then :D )
2007 Honda Helix
tmn72tx

Postby WyoScootz on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:28 am

I love seeing the mature, intelligent, respectful conversations about emotional issues - nice job, gang!

My hubby and I started off with cute half-helmets for our Mets. On a nice day with no rain, wind, or bugs, they were great. We both now wear FF modular helmets - and every time a bug hits my face sheild with a big SMACK or SPLAT I'm very glad to have it. :D
Lisa
EPSP #26
Blue 2007 Vino 125 - "Grace"
and hubby's Silver 2007 Vino 125 - "Darrell"
WyoScootz
Staff

Postby Bustin on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:23 am

It's good to see people expressing different opinions online, without things degenerating into a flame war. So rare !

I don't hesitate to offer strong opinions about this subject, because I know what is at stake here, I know that new riders read this board, and know that if I influence one rider to don a full face that I may be doing them a great service in the event of a crash , and very likely making their daily rides more comfortable.

One of the common scenarios we see at out shop is the "conversion" attempt. This is a rider that originally starts out with an open face helmet because they have a problem with full face designs or like the idea of "the wind in their hair" , or prefer the "look" of a toy helmet, but catches enough rain/bugs/sand/rocks/cold air in the face to start looking for more protection. A logical decision, generally arrived at fairly quickly . Of course, we offer up a full face, like the $89.00 HJC CS-R1 or the $129.99 HJC CL15.....since this is actually what the customer wants, even if they don't know it. Many of them stubbornly wave off the full face options and start trying to snap or glue cheesy little face shields onto their open faces, basically trying to "convert" an open face to provide the benefits of a full face . Or, they start trying to use various neoprene face covers, massive goggle setups, etc. Some get pretty elaborate and end up with like 4 or 5 different devices in use , even though the end result is always pretty silly looking, generally ineffective, and still completely devoid of any kind of jaw, mouth or face protection in a hard-hit scenario.....and many of them end up spending more $$$$ than they would have on an entry level full face . Of course , many of them blame us "The Dealer" , for failing to produce the magical product that will make their open face helmet quiet, windproof, weatherproof, bugproof,and generally comfortable and functional......in other words, like a decent full face design, which is typically what we suggested in the first place. 8-}
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby scooter_girl on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:15 pm

I agree with you all that a FF helmet is the best choice for safety. However, I do only wear a 3/4 helmet that has a visor. I know my risks but the last time I was at the Honda dealer, probably 3 weeks ago, I tried on a FF helmet and also one of the new modular helmets. Within 5 minutes I had an anxiety attack due to my claustrophobia, so for me, it's a matter of being comfortable with my 3/4 helmet because if I were to get on a scooter with a FF and feeling anxiety, it would definitely end in disaster. I wish I could wear a FF because I feel that it is the safest and I often put on my boyfriends modular for a few minutes at a time while just at home to try and become more comfortable with it. Hopefully, one day I will be.
"Oh, this happiness is strong stuff.It's marvellously liberating." - J.D. Salinger

http://www.scooterrebellion.net/phpBB3
scooter_girl

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:26 pm

For me, it helps to wear a FF helmet that doesn't have a shield. I don't even notice the chin bar except when I have to look at the speedo.
Paddy_Crow

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion