Nah, I don't need a full face helmet.

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Nah, I don't need a full face helmet.

Postby Argee on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:29 pm

I started with a convertible enduro-style for awhile, to get used to the claustrophobia, and that helped. Finally ended up with a lightweight Urban N20 full-face and took out the cheek pads. You get much of the protection, none of the bugs, and lots of fresh air. Weighs only 3 lbs, too.
- Argee
Argee

Postby sgtdraino on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:15 pm

I'm thinking about getting one of those full-face helmets where the whole front of the helmet is on a big hinge, and you can pull a lever on the front and open up the whole front of the helmet.

Anybody have experience with these?
sgtdraino

Postby Bustin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 pm

sgtdraino wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of those full-face helmets where the whole front of the helmet is on a big hinge, and you can pull a lever on the front and open up the whole front of the helmet.

Often referred to as a "modular" helmet.

Very popular with people who ride touring bikes . Also popular with people who wear eyeglasses.

Comparable to a standard full face from a safety standpoint, IMO, as long as you don't ride with it open.

HJC , Shoei , and Nolan all have excellent modular offerings , with the HJC CL-Max being an especially good value, a bulletproof design with easy availability on replacement parts. Shoei is , of course, premium quality and the best of the bunch, but you pay for it. I personally would avoid Vega and Fulmer . The Vegas are very cheaply made and often have parts falling off them right out of the box , while Fulmer uses a butter soft face shield which scratches very easily and is often hard to find at your local shop. Nolan isn't the greatest outfit for customer service , but they make a solid helmet in the N-102.

Just my .02 , other opinions may differ. :D
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby vulcan on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:28 pm

The only thing I have to say about those, and I have never owned one, is to get one with a good reputation. Schuberth probably makes the best one, but it is ridiculously expensive. Both Shoei and Arai are known for top quality helmets, but are also very expensive. When the cheaper ones started coming out, they developed a reputation with motorcycle magazine types as being unsafe, because the locking mechanism and hinges were known to break in some accidents, and the helmet would come apart. That was a few years ago, they have probably improved since then. I wear a standard full face KBC TK-77 on motorcycles, and either that, or an open face Shoei RJ-101 on scooters. I also recently bought a Bell MX helmet, after buying a Honda CR250R. It was cheap, looks good, and should offer good protection in the dirt. (I don't race, I just ride for fun) Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby Paddy_Crow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:53 am

sgtdraino wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of those full-face helmets where the whole front of the helmet is on a big hinge, and you can pull a lever on the front and open up the whole front of the helmet.

I just bought an HJC CL-Max in October when I got a bigger scooter. I like it a lot, it's not bad putting it on without taking my glasses off. Only used it for a few weeks, though. Check with me in a few years to see how it holds up...
Paddy_Crow

Postby FLATOUT50 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Paddy_Crow wrote:

I just bought an HJC CL-Max in October when I got a bigger scooter. I like it a lot, it's not bad putting it on without taking my glasses off. Only used it for a few weeks, though. Check with me in a few years to see how it holds up...

I wear a white HJC CL-33. Very comfortable, and with the clear full face shield I only HEAR the pebbles and hard shelled bugs bouncing off, but I don't feel them. And It's no problem with glasses.

I'd be just as concerned about a serious neck injury in a crash. I used to do the Motocross thing and my neck is a little creaky from all the bouncing and jarring. That was 30 years ago when I was a 16.

Lots of folk get pre-occupied with the head, but it's about the neck too!

Be safe everybody!
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby FLATOUT50 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:54 pm

SGT Draino -

I've got a HJC CL-33. The whole front sheild is clear and clicks up in various positions. The sides are semi-wrap to
offer added coverage. I wear glasses and two Oticon Delta hearing aids and it poses no problems at all to either.
Really comfortable and reasonabley priced for a DOT helmet.

Jeff
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:59 am

I own two modular helmets (that's what flip-up full face helmets are called). I find them comfortable and I feel safe in them. One is a Vox ( see my avatar; it was shipped plain blue but I put on the reflective star stickers. The Vox also has a pull down deep tinted sun shade inside the face shield that can be retracted or pulled down. Grat for really glaring sun in your eyes.) and one is a Gmax (very cool American Flag r/w/bl graphic). They were both relatively inexpensive (about $99-$125). Better (higher priced) helmets (HJC modulars) probably have metal mechanisms to engage the hinges, while these have plastic. Both are both DOT apoproved and that means they will withstand expected impacts sufficent not to break open .
Both have very handy push button mechanisms that release the hinge locks to allow easy flip up with one hand, even gloved. YOU just slam the bottom back down and hear the hinges click into th locked posissoitn to close them back up. I have not seen any with a lever to push up the bottom,a s you mentioned. The hinges are not big on the two I own, but big is a relative term. I don't know what modular brands you have come to see.

I wear glasses all the time and if I am on the scooter I wear sunglasses made to my prescription. I have plenty of room inside the helmet for the faceshield to cover the glasses without interfering, but being able to flip up the bottom part makes it easier to put the glasses on and off when getting the helmet on and off my head. The modular jaw style is also very handy for taking a sip of water or soda from a sports bottle or a straw by flipping up the helmet while the chin strap remains cinched properly. Occasionally I ride with someone and if we need to talk for a moment at a red light, it makes it a lot easier to be heard and understood to flip up the helmet. And sometimes you just need a bit of air more than the opened faceshield can give you, so stopping to open the bottom on a sweaty day can be almost as good as removing the helmet if you need a rest.

I've had no trouble with the hinges or faceshield of either of my modular helmets and I was able to change the faceshield on the Vox when it got scratched up by mishandling.

Bustin is right: you must not ride with the bottom flipped up, but in all ways these types of full face helmets accomplish the purpose of the full protection and the versatility of use. Highly recommended. Make sure it fits right.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby sgtdraino on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:16 am

FLATOUT50 wrote:I've got a HJC CL-33. The whole front sheild is clear and clicks up in various positions. The sides are semi-wrap to
offer added coverage. I wear glasses and two Oticon Delta hearing aids and it poses no problems at all to either.
Really comfortable and reasonabley priced for a DOT helmet.

Looking at the pictures, I think that's what we got my wife. Not bad, but doesn't really offer me much more protection. A full face shield will not protect your chin like a true full face helmet will. I presently own the Davida helmet in my avatar, and a red full faced helmet. I think I want something that combines some of the features of each.

GizmoGal wrote:The Vox also has a pull down deep tinted sun shade inside the face shield that can be retracted or pulled down. Grat for really glaring sun in your eyes.)

That sounds really awesome, GG. I have it on good authority that someone has gotten me the helmet I had my eye on, but I don't think it had the tinted inner sun shade. I don't remember what brand the helmet was. I haven't received it yet. I might have to look into getting a Vox next time me or my wife is ready for a new helmet!

GizmoGal wrote:Bustin is right: you must not ride with the bottom flipped up,

That's what the lady at the dealership said, though she said she's seen many people ride with them open anyway. Is it just the matter of wind resistance, or are there other reasons? I also asked if it was possible to remove the whole front of the helmet during warmer months, she said it was not.
sgtdraino

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:22 am

here's where you can buy the Vox with the flip down sun visor--many colors available:
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/vox ... GgodkVhxDw
Below you can enjoy the view of features.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby sgtdraino on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:13 pm

<drools> Wow, you're making me think about trying to take back my Christmas present that I haven't even received yet!
sgtdraino

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:09 am

Two helmets can be fun to own.
Or: don't return the gift one until you order the Vox, try it on and decide it's "better".
You may return the one you don't prefer or keep them both to enjoy--one may be best for riding in sun, the other may ventilate better or the release mechanism is easier, or the chin strap is more comfortable. So you keep each for its own benefit and enjoyment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby benjo on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:11 pm

I got a scooter because I felt silly riding a bicycle with a full-face motorcycle helmet in the winter! :D
benjo

Postby haruko on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I've had a 3/4 "skull bucket" for a while, and my rule about other apparel I got from my mother (I got my scoot at 16): jeans, tennis shoes, and long sleeves. I generally ride on residential (25 mph) streets with the wind in my hair but if I need to go on a busy highway I put the helmet on. I ALWAYS wear shoes and pants. Shorts and flip flops? Are you nuts? I wore flip flops ONCE (it was just a few blocks!!!! :*> ), and an emergency stop ripped them off my feet and shredded my toes! Reading this thread makes me rethink this logic... I think I will go look at a FF and wear it 100% along with a jacket. I like my face even if I'm not going to post a picture of myself to prove it's worth saving :P So while it appears this thread seemed to be about pre-formed opinions either way, I've changed my mind because of it. Good job "safety nuts"!

P.S. I live in South Dakota. Yearly temps range from -40 or so to 110. Any ideas for a good FF helmet for the heat especially?
haruko

Postby Bustin on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:03 am

haruko wrote: I live in South Dakota. Yearly temps range from -40 or so to 110. Any ideas for a good FF helmet for the heat especially?

One of the things you get in a higher end helmet, like a Shoei or Arai , is much better ventilation. These manufacturers actully cut air channels all the way through the inner liner, from the intake vents to the exhaust vents. The exhaust vents actually create a vacuum which pulls air through the helmet . The design increases airflow dramatically , which in turn pulls heat from the helmet much more efficiently than many of the lower priced helmets. I'd recommend the Shoei RF-1000 , I love mine, and the excellent ventilation is a big reason for that . Of course, you can close the vents during the winter , and turn off the "A.C." , lol.

In the cheaper brands of helmets, they typically just drill vent holes through the liner , which doesn't work nearly as well.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

PreviousNext

Return to Apparel Discussion