Nah, I don't need a full face helmet.

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Nah, I don't need a full face helmet.

Postby sgtdraino on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 pm

GizmoGal wrote:here's where you can buy the Vox with the flip down sun visor--many colors available:
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/vox ... GgodkVhxDw
Below you can enjoy the view of features.

I ended up keeping the helmet I got as a gift (it's a Fulmer), but next time we have enough, I think my wife and I will both save up and get Voxes, they look awesome.

Question: Is it hard (or even possible) to take the whole front hinge on and off? To make it an actual half-helmet occasionally?
sgtdraino

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:08 am

sgtdraino wrote:Question: Is it hard (or even possible) to take the whole front hinge on and off? To make it an actual half-helmet occasionally?

Answer: No, it is not possible to remove the chin bar (that's the name of the part you refer to) without breaking it. I admit I haven't tried to do that since my purpose in having a full face helmet is to cover my full face. Always. Unless I am not actually in motion, and then my lower face, i.e. chin, is not in danger if the chin bar is raised. I would buy a half helmet if I wanted to risk riding that way occasionally.

I believe the hinges on that Vox are made sturdy enough to pass the DOT standard to make sure it can withstand impact without popping open and suddenly becoming the half helmet you don't want just at the time you are about to land on your face. :-o So forcibly undermining those hinges may weaken or break the efficacy of the helmet.

The faceshield does remove pretty easaily if you need to change it if it cracks or gets scratched. I've done that once already. I have also never removed the pull down sun visor. it stays tucked up when not in use.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby sgtdraino on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Here's a question for you, GG: How bad is the wind noise in the Vox? It gets pretty loud in my Fulmer, and I wish there was a good way to block out drafts coming up under the open chin area on colder days.
sgtdraino

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:09 am

Sgtd: If I crack the Vox helmet's face shield a bare little bit, the wind noise is quite tolerable. I own a GMax helmet, too, and that is noisier than the Vox. With the face shield entirely closed without any open space the Vox is quite noisy inside and with the face shield completely open (chin bar down and locked, but face shield all the way up like on a really hot day ) at street speeds (33-38mph ) it can be incredibly shrill--maybe a whistle effect as the wind vibrates between the space of the face shield and the pull down sun visor, which I generally ride with tucked up. I wear sunglasses and use the visor only for low sun right in my eyes to cut direct glare. So the quietest way to experience the Vox is with the face shield cracked open a bit--maybe 1/2 inch, or a bit less or more is fine. It will stay in place without falling or sneaking upward on its own. In that respect it is surprisingly good after 2 year steady use. No changes in the qualitylike any face shield position slipping , though I did change the plastic shield once after I got a bad scratch.

I don't get a lot of chin wind that I can blame on the Vox helmet, though I know what you are referring to. That can be very uncomfortable in winter riding and I have used a neck gaitor or a muffler tucked around my neck in winter. Sometimes I just gotta scoot in Dec-Jan-Feb and I don't think the Vox is a big factor in chin wind. My neck gets cold but my lower face stays pretty comfortable, even with the shield cracked a bit open for less condensation.

If you happened to have the pinhead I have and could fit the XS I wear, I'd ship you my Vox to try for a week of riding on your own and I'd use my G Max. (My kid cousin, 26 years old, is 6' 2" lanky tall and somehow he can wear that same Vox. The only other full grown adult with a small head like mine.) I know it's not cool to use someone else's helmet but I'd be willing to let you experience how versatile that Vox is. Perhaps you could purchase it from Vox , wear around the house for an hour or so or on a short fast ride enough to test it if you keep it clean (wear a head scarf!) and you could return it if you really don't get a buzz from it.

Hope I have helped with information.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby sgtdraino on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:21 am

GizmoGal wrote:If you happened to have the pinhead I have and could fit the XS I wear, I'd ship you my Vox to try for a week of riding on your own and I'd use my G Max. (My kid cousin, 26 years old, is 6' 2" lanky tall and somehow he can wear that same Vox. The only other full grown adult with a small head like mine.) I know it's not cool to use someone else's helmet but I'd be willing to let you experience how versatile that Vox is.

Wow, that is very kind of you. Actually I do have a small head, but probably don't rate an XS, unless the Vox is sized differently than other helmets. I currently own an HJC, a Davida, and the aforementioned Fulmer all in size S. However, I am pretty much already sold on the Vox. When we can afford one, I will probably get one for my wife first. She does not yet have a full-face helmet and wants one. We'll see how much she likes hers, and then I'll see if I want it badly enough to buy another for myself.

Here's a question: Anybody here sell their old helmets? What is the best method for getting something for your old helmet? Craigslist?
sgtdraino

Postby sgtdraino on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 am

Well, my Fulmer helmet is now broken in a couple of places. Parts of the latch on the left side, that lock the shield down. I didn't drop it or anything, the points at which the screws are screwed into the plastic simply snapped off on their own.

Your Vox still holding up okay? ;)
sgtdraino

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:58 pm

My Vox going strong in its third year. I ride nearly every day even in colder weather. I get enough ventilation and it's not very heavy. Highly recommended for comfort and features and it has enough color choices to make you happpy. It 's a solid color so reflective stickers can add safety and decoration if desired. Replacement face shield was cheap--<$20 and shipped fast. (I finally scratched mine enough to replace it.) When th helmet comes new in the box (with a cloth carry bag) it has clear plastic film on the face shield; It isn't that obvious so I urge you to peel it off before you think your plastic is distorted!

So sorry that the Fulmer did not hold up. I am surprised--I have ac ouple of acquaintances who own Fulmers and have not had breakdowns. If you are shy of getting another Fulmer, try the Vox.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Bustin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:54 pm

sgtdraino wrote:Well, my Fulmer helmet is now broken in a couple of places. Parts of the latch on the left side, that lock the shield down. I didn't drop it or anything, the points at which the screws are screwed into the plastic simply snapped off on their own.

This just adds to a long list of negative reviews I've heard on Fulmer street helmets over the years , and my own personal experience with this brand was very disappointing .

I'm sure Fulmer has some happy customers out there somewhere .....I've just never met one.

:-/
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby FLATOUT50 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm

I wear a HJC 3/4 Helmet with full clear shield and prescription sunglasses under it when I need them or my regular glasses when I don't need the sunglasses.

I like the idea of protecting my well preserved 47 year old face but a lot of full face helmets are really heavy and they are hell on my neck, which is a real problem. (I got used to wearing open face helmets and googles when I raced motocross years ago).

Can one of the more experienced full face pro's, Gizmo or Bustin suggest a lightweight full face helmet?
Two guys at work wear full face helmets on their road bikes, one guy has a $350 carbon fiber one that weighs a ton and fogs up. The other guy has a HJC that he has trouble fogging up too.

Plus I take a large, which of course adds weight!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby sooznd on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:58 pm

flatout
I just read a great review of the HJC FS-15 Carbon Fiber helmet on another forum. The person writing the review has back and neck problems--here are a few things she said. It is expensive, but seems like one of the lightest weight helmets out there

"So How light is it?
It is so light, you begin to notice the difference right away when you pick up the box UPS delivers to your door step.
It is so light, that I felt like I was holding alien technology in my hands the first time I held it...really, its fucking amazing.
It is so light, that when you are riding you really forget you have a helmet on your head.
It is so light, that I had my first ride in over a year where my neck and back did NOT hurt!!!!!"

Here is a professional review of the helmet by Webbike world.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/fs-15/
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:59 am

Nothing I could suggest could beat that HJC carbon helmet that Susan just posted about. Invest and enjoy greater comfort and certain safety.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby FLATOUT50 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:01 am

THANK YOU Susan and Gizmo!
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:33 am

I thought I'd post this here as an exhibit in support of full face helmets...

Paddy_Crow

Postby srpvoltaire on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

I'll admit I get some funny looks when I ride my scooter with my full face helmet, and people question me as to why. I think of there things. A 3/4 helmet will work just fine, until I crash on my face. I'm too sure in how well I can aim in I crash, as I don't have a lot of practice, so I like the face coverage. Second, many of the same people who wounder why I wear a full face helmet with a scooter, but find it perfectly logical when I ride my motorcycle (or for that matter those who argue that a scooter that only goes 40mph doesn't warrent a full face helmet) forget my motorcycle spends most of its time going the same speeds as my scooter, because the roads going from my house to most of the places I freequent in my life have roads with a 35 or 40mph speed limit. So why does the scooter warrent less protection? I've also never understood the visiability argument. The full face helmets I've owned offer the same visability as a 3/4 or no helmet for that matter.
Shawn
2005 Honda CHF50 Metropolitan
2008 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
srpvoltaire

Postby nuttmeg on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:44 pm

I only have a FF helmet. Never ever ever thought about anything less. I have been looking at the modular helmet lately, because I do wear glasses and I hear that it is much more easy to get off and on with glasses on your head. I live in a state where there is no helmet law. When I took my motorcycle class the instructor was telling us about his wreck and his 2k teeth replacement because of the 3/4 helmet he was wearing at the time. I know people have their own preferences which is just fine, but I like the teeth I have. I get no grief from wearing my full face helmet, I would travel the same roads if I were on a motorcycle, considering I rarely leave town. I will not let anyone on the back of my scoot without full gear and a FF helmet, just my preference, if they don't like it they can find a different way to get around town. ;)
Megan
Vespa GT 200L
2009 Scion xB
nuttmeg

PreviousNext

Return to Apparel Discussion