Importance of boots?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Importance of boots?

Postby greidel on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm

This section has been a little inactive lately, so I'll ask a question I've been wondering about: What is the importance of wearing boots on a scooter?

I can see it on a motorcycle, where you have hot pipes right next to your leg... but are boots important on a scoot? And If so, what are they protecting me against? I mean what should I be looking for in a boot? Traction? Scuff protection? Crush protection? Heat protection?

I always wear the FF helmet now (I love the wind protection), and I have gloves and the armored mesh jacket. But I love my canvas All-Stars. Are my feet in danger?
'07 Yamaha C3
'06 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (traded)
'08 Kawasaki Versys
http://www.scootlancaster.com
greidel

Postby dirtyone on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm nopt an expert, but, I'd say the ankle tweakage protection would be a good thing, plus a little grip wouldn'thurt . And I also love my Chucks specially turning the toes out while movin to catch a little air in the vent holes, feels real good after working all day
not going to colorado anymore or at least it seems
dirtyone

Postby Bustin on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Chuck's high tops are actually better than a lot of casual footwear , when it comes to scooterin' , due to the ankle protection and adequate lacing , but they still aren't comparable to any real cycling boot.

The low tops are unacceptable for scootin' , IMHO. No ankle protection, and they would probably fly off your feet in most crashes.

Most scooter wrecks are going to beat the crap outta your feet , knees, and hands , among other things.

I like my Icon Super Duty boots for "casual" riding , and my Alpinestar Web-Gortex for serious rides and anything cold or wet.

Bottomline : If you go down , you will probably end up wishing you had on REAL motorcycle gear , from top to bottom. People who have actually been in a crash have a tendency to either stop riding completely or gear up a little more , nothing like a little firsthand knowledge to help you make informed decisions ;)
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Re: Importance of boots?

Postby Magnulus on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:12 am

Motorcycle boots on a scooter protect your ankles and toes from abrasion. There have been people in scooter crashes that had their toes ground off in 35 mph crashes, because they were wearing shoes. A motorcycle boot that goes over the ankles will also give some rigidity to your ankle and help hold your ankle together should you break or sprain it.
Magnulus

Postby Deadalive on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:29 pm

So my VANS Flip Flops are not good protection?
I LOVE EMOTICONS!
I MISS MY MET.

Visit my dungeon of horror: www.myspace.com/Jakehorror
Deadalive

Postby bcard on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:34 pm

So, are my steel toe boots okay? that is what I usually wear.
bcard

Postby Trollby on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:32 am

bcard wrote:So, are my steel toe boots okay? that is what I usually wear.

Steel-toe are fine as long as they are over the ankle, not shoe type steel-toe
Current Bikes:
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic - Candy
1975 Honda CL-360 Scrambler (restoring at this time) - Oldtimer
Trollby

Postby Paddy_Crow on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:13 am

My experience from hiking is that ankle support from boots is pretty minimal. You can still roll your ankle while wearing boots.

I think the main reasons for wearing boots on a bike is the padding on the ankle bones and the fact that they are much less likely to come off in a crash.
Paddy_Crow

Postby greidel on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:01 am

I ended up buying the Accelerator Milwaukee Boots. Boots are required for the MSF course in PA, and I'm starting my first class on Friday.
'07 Yamaha C3
'06 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (traded)
'08 Kawasaki Versys
http://www.scootlancaster.com
greidel

Postby angie on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 am

Deadalive wrote:So my VANS Flip Flops are not good protection?

I love my Vans slip ons. :x And yes, I ride with them, even though I shouldn't.
angie

Postby JeremyZ on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:09 am

I'm a little late to the party here, but I would say that footwear is not important unless you crash. Then, it suddenly becomes very important.

I was wearing Crocs clogs when I crashed my Buddy a few months ago. I went for a tumble down the road at 45 mph. When I stopped tumbling and found that all my appendages still worked, one of the places that was missing skin was the outside of each ankle. One Croc was about 20' away, the other was still on my (bare) foot. I then proceeded to bruise up the bottom of my foot walking across the gravel shoulder to retrieve said Croc.

It felt good, riding with Crocs & shorts on a muggy 85° evening, but I don't ride while dressed like that any more. Now, I wear steel toed over-the-ankle boots from work. If I had that same crash in these, my feet & ankles would have been un-injured.

One doesn't realize how much one's ankles protrude from one's legs until one is sliding down the highway on them. :(
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Postby KaraokeMistress on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:41 pm

Up until a week ago, I had been wearing my burgundy hi-top Chucks to ride my scoot. I took a slow speed spill recently and relized I needed better shoes to ride in. I'm a little short on cash to buy more gear, so I just bought a pair of combat boots that have the nylon-reinforced canvas from the bottom of the ankle to the top of the boot, and leather on the upper.

I figure they'll be good for summer riding. You guys think they'll be okay for some crash protection, too? Better boots are on the list, but they have to wait for now.
Scooter Diva, fully fledged
2008 Honda Metropolitan in Monza - "CLEO"
(Monza - That's fancy Honda-speak for all red & black.)
KaraokeMistress

Postby Paddy_Crow on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:25 am

That should help.

As I posted earlier, the ankle protection that boots provide is really pretty minimal. You can still turn your ankle pretty severely. To me, it's aout wearing a shoe that isn't going to come off in a crash and has enough structure on the foot to protect it.
Paddy_Crow

Postby Bustin on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:28 am

As Jeremy noted above , abrasion resistance is also a big part of the picture. A boot with a stout upper will keep you from grinding your ankle flesh off , in many situations. Riders also have a tendency to get their feet tangled up under the bike in a low side situation , and that can turn your ankle into a frame slider very quickly. At that point, a layer of tough material over the ankle is extremely important.

Ankles, knees , elbows, and palms tend to hit first and slide the farthest , in most bike crashes.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby hunnysan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:34 am

ankle protection and also when you are on any two wheel (bike/scooter) things tend to fly at you...and if something hits your foot and you are wearing just slippers or sneakers it could rip or tear through the show.

it happened once to a motorcyclists where tire thread hit him in the foot, turns out it ripped off the front part of his shoe (truck tire)..so yeah...for protection.
1998 Panda 50 - Monkey Clone
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - Blue
2007 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
hunnysan

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion