Importance of boots?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Importance of boots?

Postby RedBikeGirl on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 am

I am resurrecting this old post to ask this question:

Does something like this, look like it would be good for wearing on the scoot?

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... at4=503425
2010 Red Elite.
RedBikeGirl

Postby greidel on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:18 am

Looks good to me. I bought a pair of Timberlands of similar height to use on the scooter.
'07 Yamaha C3
'06 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (traded)
'08 Kawasaki Versys
http://www.scootlancaster.com
greidel

Postby radishes on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 am

As the burn scar on my right calf may suggest, boots or proper leg protection is important. Got it on second week of scooting - took a turn too hard. I think it was the exhaust, not really sure.

While not 'real' motorcycle boots, I wear a pair of leather (real leather, not that odd Payless stretch pleather stuff) knee-high flat boots with, while not 'hiking boot' quality, good grips. Great under pants, or if I'm feelin' risky, with a skirt.
radishes

Postby Smorris on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:43 pm

When this topic comes up, I have to refer folks to this post from the ScooterBBS from POC Phil in Oct '06. Don't look at the photo if you are sqeamish...

"POC Renae - Crash Post-Op Review"

On Wednesday at about 5 pm we were returning a scooter to a customer and we decided to take the shoreway, a 50 mph highway that cuts out about 20 stoplights on our trip. Renae was riding a Buddy 125 with a Grandpa sized windshield and I was riding my Honda Superhawk 996.

We were just getting on the shoreway and coming up the on-ramp at about 35 mph when Renae's handlebars began to oscillate wildly. They whipped back and forth violently for about 3 seconds while she was trying to grab the brakes. The scooter careened into the Jersey wall and then pitched her off on the high-side. She landed on her right elbow and skidded for a distance with the bike on top of her legs. Then she got into the cut pavement and it flipped her onto her chest, at this time the entire weight of the scooter was resting on her right foot, which was now toes down into the pavement.

As the scooter and her foot skidded along the road it acted like a grinder and took first the laces from her converse running shoes, then the tongue of the shoe, then her sock, then her skin, then the meat on her foot and it ended up sanding her foot bones clean and basically grinding her two smallest toes into nothing.

As I tried to slow down to avoid running her over I was hit from behind by a black chevy s-10. I felt the lunge of the car hitting my back wheel and I decided to just stay hard on the brakes and see if my motorcycle could keep this truck from running over both of us. It worked. I was able to keep my bike upright and come to a stop before running over renae. The distance from my front tire to where she was laying under the scooter was about 2 feet.

I did a quick assessment of her vitals and she appeared to be alert, aware and not in too much pain. I checked her neck and head for obvious injuries and stabilized her head with my gloves. I then lifted the bike off of her leg and saw the huge wound and open-top shoe injury. I stood the bike on its centerstand and then checked her for lower leg and knee injury. Once I was satisfied that I wouldn't hurt her more I elevated her injury onto the floorboards of the scooter. At this point it was bleeding pretty badly and I decided to opt for elevation instead of any type of compression to reduce the risk of doing more damage. At this point an off-duty fireman showed up and he called the crash in on his radio. By this point I noticed that all 3 lanes of the shoreway were a complete grid-lock and I could hear sirens approaching. Renae was doing great and not freaking out. I kinda felt like there was nothing else to do at this point until the squad got there so I opted to remove her helmet (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED). If any of you have ever had to have a helmet cut off in the E.R. you will know that it is not the way you want to get out of a helmet. We took it nice and easy and her helmet came off without a problem.

The paramedics arrived in under 5 minutes and they were fantastic, they gave her a collar and scooped her up most rickey tick. The firefighters who arrived on scene do not receive such high marks. The lieutenant approached first and said "Man, that foot is fuckin' GONE!". Not the thing me or Renae needed to hear at that moment. They loaded her up and I was able to move the scooter to the shoulder and then take the bike over which allowed them to get traffic open on the freeway again.

They took off with her and I rode the Buddy (which fired up and ran perfectly WTF?) up to the next exit and then stored it in a friends warehouse that was literally in line with where the accident occured. The cops gave me a ride back to my bike and I took off for the hospital.

Frustration - unless you arrive in the ambulance in any major metropolitan hospital you are going to have a very hard time getting back in touch with your injured friends, we sat in the waiting room for nearly an hour and we were eventually called back for counseling. We called a friend of ours Joe Hongosh who is a Cleveland Paramedic and with his connections we were able to get to see Renae right away. She was all wrapped up on a gurney and there was a lot of blood by her right foot. They took her into a room and cleaned the wound while Joe and I watched. I have NEVER seen anything so gross / traumatic in my life. You could actually see all of tendons and ligaments inside her foot. Her last two toes were all but gone. The entire top of her foot from the mid-point down was gone. It was like her foot was made into a convertible. The doctor asked her to wiggle her toes and it was like looking down into an old fashioned typewriter...you could see how everything worked. They cleaned her foot for a while, dressed it and went about finding her a room.

I stayed with her that night, through pain, nausea, and one psychotic room mate who eventually needed to be restrained and sedated after pulling 3 nurses down onto a urine and feces coated floor. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. Renae wasn't allowed to eat anythng which was unfortunate since she hadn't eaten hardly anything that day and they're best forecast for surgery was some time in the next 24 hours.

The next morning we were happy to hear they were doing surgery first thing in the morning. Everything went well, they ended up amputating her smallest 2 toes on her right foot and using the remaining skin to create a sort of bandage to cover a good portion of the wound. She will be going back for at least 2 more appointments with plastic surgery in the next week to develop a plan for repairing the foot and giving her as much use as possible. A compression bandage and splint was applied and I was briefed on how to change it. Renae was given some physical therapy training and we were finally released at about 5 pm. Almost exactly 48 hours after the crash occurred.

We've got her set up at our house, I've got all the right after-care stuff still left over from my Denver Mile High Mayhem 5 Tib-Fib-Rib adventure, so it's been pretty easy taking care of her so far.

The pain pills (Percocet) are working well for the time being and she's eating, sleeping and moving around as well as can be expected.

I'm attaching a broken link to a picture of the foot after she got out of surgery yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to take a picture of it before.

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/toes. jpg (you'll have to put the jpg on the end yourself. I'm not going to force everyone to look at the image).

Do NOT open this image if you have a squeamish stomach.

Thanks for all the love and support, one of our local mechanics stepped up today to help out here at the shop and it does my heart good to see the way people have really responded to Renae in her rough time.

Phil Waters
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
2078 W. 25 St.
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
www.clevelandscooters.com

I saw Renae last week and she still limps...
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby lscjd86 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Eeeww
2006 Honda Metropolitan "Scooty"
http://www.scooteraddict.com
"enabling your two-wheeled addiction when you are not riding"
lscjd86

Postby RedBikeGirl on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:19 am

I ended up buying a pair of Timberland hiking boots last night, instead of the llbean snow sneakers.

thanks everyone, for your input.
2010 Red Elite.
RedBikeGirl

Postby undertheradar on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:18 am

I wanna know what the girl did to cause herself to crash that badly.
undertheradar

Postby RedBikeGirl on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:16 am

undertheradar wrote:I wanna know what the girl did to cause herself to crash that badly.

Me too. It almost sounds like she let go of the handlebars completely.
2010 Red Elite.
RedBikeGirl

Postby Paddy_Crow on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm

Sounds to me like her front wheel started oscillating wildly. I guess it's known as a "tank slapper" by motorcyclists. It can happen when you're coming out of a skid. I've experienced that, very little you can do except hope you can stay upright long enough to get your speed down and regain control. And since it usually happens in a corner, chances of that aren't good.
Paddy_Crow

Postby Smorris on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 pm

Apparently the wind got ahold of the *very* large bar-mounted windscreen and started the oscillation. Renae is a very experienced scooter and motorcycle rider.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby longhairedrockstar on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Smorris wrote:Apparently the wind got ahold of the *very* large bar-mounted windscreen and started the oscillation. Renae is a very experienced scooter and motorcycle rider.

dang~!
that pretty much seals the deal on my slight interest in getting a windsheild for the met.
i do wear some oldschool Frye harness boots cause i wear them all the time anyways.
that picture reminds me that i need to wear them when i'm riding to the gym too.
yikes...

best wishes for her and her recovery.
2008 honda metrolitan - gothic
1981 honda cm400c
longhairedrockstar

Postby benjo on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 am

I just read that long writeup about the crash. Looks like I'll be parking the scoot and going back to bicycles when it gets warmer. A 22-lb bike would cause far less damage in a crash like that compared to a 200-lb scooter. :-ss

I experienced a 25 MPH slide on a bicycle before and it barely scuffed my jeans, leather jacket, and shoes.
benjo

Postby vulcan on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I wear Redwing lace up steel toe linesmans boots on my motorcycle most of the time, but I rarely take it out unless I am going some distance, so it makes more sense to take the time to gear up. On the scooters, especially if I am only going a short distance, I usually just wear what ever I have on, plus a helmet and reflective vest. I now have a specific helmet for scooter riding, and I stuff the vest inside of it, so I don't have to hunt for anything when I get ready to hop on the scooter. I rarely ever wear full motorcycle gear on a scooter, even though I know that's not really a very good idea. I hope that my bright white helmet and orange reflective vest will cause car drivers to see me, and prevent an accident. I have had a number of close calls on 2 wheelers, but every single one of them has involved a 4 wheeler that violated my right of way, with one exception. I did have a minor low side crash on a cruiser once, at low speed, because the footpeg bracket hit the ground unexpectedly. Only got a few scratches from that one, and learned a valuable lesson. Don't try to lean a cruiser over very far. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby benjo on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:30 pm

My right shoe after a car hit me from the back at 45 MPH. Granted I was a pedestrian at the time since I was walking my scooter home. My foot would probably be in far worse shape if I was wearing a flimsier shoe. :-ss
benjo

Postby Bustin on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm

One more example of the feet taking a beating in a mishap , although Benjo's scenario was a bit different, since he was actually a pedestrian when the car struck him.

Either way , the pattern is obvious : Jeremy, Soozned , Benjo.... all these incidents have a common denominator , in the types of injuries suffered. I could add a few dozen more similar scenarios to this list, because I work in a bike shop, and hear all the blow by blow accounts of crashes. We focus and argue about helmets all the time , and I've seen many a jacked up post-crash helmet , but proper boots are right up there on top of the list of "shoulda worn" items that riders mention, when the dust clears and the injuries are tabulated.

It's a free country , but I don't have to learn everything from first hand experience ...... I can learn from other rider's experiences. That being the case, I wear good boots , specifically designed as motorcycle safety gear, everytime I venture out on the street .
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

PreviousNext

Return to Apparel Discussion