Body Armor- Hockey padding substitute?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Body Armor- Hockey padding substitute?

Postby fluidattitude on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Struggling with decision about gear this years ride. What do people wear for pants?
Last year I just rode with Carhartt, heavy, reinforced front panels.
These became rather hot, as I'm sure they will again riding in 100+ weather.
Those pants are also now covered in paint.

I have my eye on Icon body armor-just the leg protector.

Anyone ridden with it before? Does it breathe easy?
Not sure if I want/can spend teh $65 bucks on it.

So, Hockey pads...went to Play it Again sports today and priced hockey pads, shin/knee gear. It's pretty ghetto,a penny pincher solution, yet possibly a good substitute.

What think you?
Even better...anyone have riding body armor that they want to loan/trade me for 12 weeks? :D
fluidattitude

Re: Body Armor- Hockey padding substitute?

Postby tmn72tx on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Hockey pads might be more dangerous. This is the best time of the year, the playoffs, and some really excited fan might give you a full body check when you're sitting at a red light!
2007 Honda Helix
tmn72tx

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:14 pm

The Stanley Cup Playoffs are the greatest spectacle in sports!
Paddy_Crow

Postby choochoo on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:05 am

How about some moto elbow and knee pads? They seem to be a quite a bit cheaper than the icon armor. Thor, Shift, EVS, Alpinestars, Answer, Fox, Oneal, etc. all have models under $25.

I just picked up a pair of these:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/8506/ITEM/Shift-Racing-Enforcer-Knee-Shin-Guards.aspx
1993 Red Honda Elite 80
choochoo

Postby RickRussellTX on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Seems like the main danger of hockey pads is that you'll start putting "Eh?" between your sentences and refer to everything as "a wicked pissah".
Rick Russell
RickRussellTX

Postby fluidattitude on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Very nice deal. Thanks for that lead. Those are 'boot' as much as hockey pads.
Without the accent. Great!
fluidattitude

Postby Magnulus. on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Alpinestars makes some good knee/shin pads that go well under pants. For over pants, Knox makes some knee armor that works well with higher-top boots. It isn't cheap as it is made in the UK but it is good fitting knee armor that goes well over jeans or under them.

The Icon knee armor is OK but if you have big calves at all they won't fit very well. Still, very nice armor. It's of a softer, semi-hard foam variety. I actually prefer more of a harder shell but both can work.
Magnulus.

Postby tmn72tx on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:38 pm

Here's a link with some suggestions:

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/ ... -lot-money
2007 Honda Helix
tmn72tx

Knee Protection

Postby tortoise on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 am

I have been using some cheap foam kneepads from Wal-Mart for around 2 years under jeans and overalls. They have been easy to "slip into" and slide up, but the elastic straps are not all that strong and they need to be repositioned frequently. Better than nothing, but they leave a lot to be desired. Weight is .8 ounces per pad.

These $15 Turtles Kneepads (Lowe's garden department) have a harder molded foam and are a step up. The heavy duty straps are easy to adjust, attach, and detach. Weight is 3.2 ounces per pad.

For short scooter errand/commute applications . . if safety items are too much of a nuisance to put on, they tend NOT to get used. The velcro closures on Vega/Nitro Metro boots make them very easy to put on and take off.

The $65 Icon Field Armor Leg Guards would definitely offer superior protection, but the multiple attachment straps would be a bit of a nuisance for short errands.

Last edited by tortoise on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tortoise

Postby vulcan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am

Basically, anything is better than nothing, as long as it stays in place. The most important part is how difficult it is to put on and take off, and how comfortable it is. If it is difficult and time consuming to deal with, and is uncomfortable, you won't use it. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby scootinstonecold on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:14 pm

I'll be riden' this summer with a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes!.....Can't wait
scootinstonecold

Postby pinklady on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:43 am

RickRussellTX wrote: and refer to everything as "a wicked pissah".

What does that even mean? :-/
-------------------------------------------------------
2003 Honda Jazz - my scoot of many names.
EPSP Member #120 - the first Canadian!
------------------------------------------------------
pinklady

Postby JeremyZ on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 am

I don't even bother with the pants most of the time, even after crashing while wearing shorts and scraping up my legs pretty thoroughly.

Any pants that are going to give decent protection are going to be hot in the summer. I just wear long pants and say my prayers.

If I was going to get some riding pants, I'd find some ventilated motorcycle-specific pants.

Try newenough.com and ebay.

I do have some Joe Rocket pants that are supposedly all-season. They have zip off vent panels. But I only wear them on longer rides, and usually only in spring or fall.

I should also mention that unlike work pants, the fronts of knees are not the only areas to be concerned with. Be concerned with your hips and lower spine as well.

With gloves, get something with decent protection on the knuckles. I had some cheap Olympia warm weather gloves. They were very cool to wear in the summer, but they burned right though at the knuckles when I crashed.

A good warm weather cheap jacket was the heavy fleece jacket I was wearing. There is something about the way the fabric is made that it didn't burn through, even though I had quite a good tumble at 45 mph. The wind blows through it, but it still provides good abrasion protection because it is not tightly-woven.

Was glad I had a full face helmet.
Pullin' Gs Blog - Updated 10/21/09
-2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (For Sale)
-2009 Kawasaki KLR650
JeremyZ

Postby vulcan on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:41 pm

I also wear just plain jeans, but something like this might be a good idea. Jerry. http://www.dragginjeans.com/
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby masukomi on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:55 am

I'm sorry if this comes off as gruff but it amazes me that so many of you seem so willing to do a half-assed job of protecting yourselves. I can respect people who choose to wear no armor at all, even though they may be in for broken bones and skin grafts up and down their body. But those of you who recognize that armoring up is worth it and then use some cheap ass gardening pads?! What are you thinking? If you're going to protect yourself do it right. Gardening knee pads are NOT designed to stay in place during a 30mph impact or skid. They are NOT designed to absorb hard impacts.

Any good armor sold in the US or the EU is CE rated. “Armor can be placed into one of three categories with level 1 armor being the least protective and level 3 being the most protective. Level 1 armor is rated at 50 joules, level 2 at 75 joules, and level 3 at 100 joules. In order to achieve a rating armor must be able to absorb that amount of energy in an impact and transmit less than 35 kN of force. “ Most of the armor you find on the market is level 1. I've never seen level 3, and suspect it's only used by pro motorcycle racers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton

Equally important to the amount of force armor can survive is the fact that when you buy proper motorcycle gear you're buying something that was designed to hold the armor in place during a crash.

Yes, as some have suggested in this thread you can get decent strap on motorcycle armor pieces, and there's nothing wrong with these, but they do nothing to protect the rest of you from needing massive skin grafts, grinding your fingers off, etc. Skidding at 30mph across asphalt is more than enough to permanently disfigure you. Jeans require only 4.5 pounds of force to tear. Leather is about 110, and kevlar is about 1,200. There are many materials that fall within that range, but don't mislead yourself into thinking you're protecting yourself by wearing jeans (Draggin' jeans being the exception because they've got kevlar lining).

There are are plenty of places online where you can go and get affordable motorcycle gear. A jacket and pants are going to run you about $100 each, and about $35 for gloves. If you do your research you can even find short motorcycle boots that are comfortable to walk around in when you get where you're going for about $100 too. While you're considering your safety remember that 40% of the time your head impacts something from a motorcycle / scooter crash it's doing so along the jawline. Personally I'm not going to take a 40% chance on breaking my jaw and scraping the skin off my face when all I have to do to avoid it is wear a full-face helmet.

Go to a motorcycle store and start trying gear on. Yes, some of it is bulky and a pain to get in and out of, but some of it is incredibly well designed, easy to get in and out of, looks cool, and is comfortable to walk around in. You can spend outrageous amounts of money on it, but you don't have to.

For cheap gear I recommend checking out
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com and http://www.newenough.com

I wrote a post a while ago that provides a decent overview of motorcycle safety gear, and what to look for when buying it. If you haven't already done your homework about what's available and why you should wear it then you might benefit from reading it. It was written for motorcyclists but the vast majority of it is applicable to scooter fans too.

http://weblog.masukomi.org/2008/04/05/so-you-want-to-ride-a-motorcycle-and-not-die
Promote safe riding: get a Free "Gear Up!" sticker
masukomi

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion