Who wears a helmet?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Who wears a helmet?

Postby BleedsHuskieRed on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Just wondering how many of you wear helmets when you ride your scooter? I live in Illinois where it is optional and I rarely see anyone else with a helmet. I have one and I wear it everytime I ride my scooter. I see no reason not to.
1984 Honda Aero NH125
BleedsHuskieRed

Re: Who wears a helmet?

Postby scienceguy on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:06 pm

My wife owns a MP3 250 which will do 70+ MPH (she lets me borrow it). The ground and cages do not care what you are riding when you make contact with them in the event of an accident. Even at 30 MPH, you can lose a lot of skin and it does take much to convert a working brain into mush if you fall for any reason. A helmet at a minimum should always be worn, and other protective gear can literally save your skin. There is a good reason the MSF courses have minimum clothing requirements to be worn during classes.
scienceguy

Postby Saiboogu on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:43 pm

Helmet, and trying hard to wear my jacket all the time too (though it's a little warm around town). I did feel a little goofy at first - haven't seen a single scooter rider in town wearing a helmet, other than my friend who I bought the Met from. It's already second nature by now, though. I skipped it last week when I ran a mile up the road, but didn't feel right - that's the last time I went more than a few dozen feet without a helmet.
EPSP # 100
Saiboogu

Postby johnmcneely on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:01 pm

I wear a 3/4 helmet even though it is not required in Colorado. I also always wear a very bright green vest with reflective stripes and I also wear gloves. I confess although I have armor, I don't always wear it. I don't generally drive in much traffic and keep my speeds low.
The Errand Runner - 07 Ruby Met "Esperanza 2"
johnmcneely

Postby Trollby on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:51 am

Wear safety gear even for a ride down the block to the Quicky-Mart (even when 90+ outside).

Full Face Helmet
Boots
Gloves
Long pants
Riding jacket
Current Bikes:
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic - Candy
1975 Honda CL-360 Scrambler (restoring at this time) - Oldtimer
Trollby

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:30 am

In all of NY State it is compulsory that riders, scooterists or motorcyclists, wear a helmet and full eye coverage, which is considered legal if there is a face shield on the helmet or goggles worn separately. I've seen some very skimpy compliance, including tiny brain buckets loosely fastened or not at all on riders with big noisy bikes. Even if there were no law, I'd still wear a FF helmet every time I ride.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby vulcan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 am

I always wear a helmet, one of 6 I own. Full face is always best in an accident, no other design will protect your face when it hit's the ashpalt, but I do have an open face and a shorty style as well, all DOT approved. Those little salad bowl caps that bikers wear are just for looks, they are not approved, and offer no protection at all. As for the rest of what I wear, It mostly depends on the season. I always wear jeans, because thats all I ever wear anytime. I do have a pair of motorcycle gloves, and a couple of armored jackets, but usually only wear those in the winter, even on a motorcycle. Summer temperatures here average between 115-118 degrees. I wear a long sleeved MX jersey a lot in the summer, to protect myself from sunburn, but it also breathes, so you don't get overheated. It would be worthless in an accident though. Safe Scootin, Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby sooznd on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:38 am

I always wear a helmet when riding my scooter-- 3/4 helmet on the Met, FF modular on the Vino 125.

Colorado is also another of the no helmet law states--however eye covering is required.

I see many scooterists and motorcyclists w/o helmets or proper gear. Flip flops, shorts, etc. that might be fine on a small Caribbean island with only scooters & bicycles to contend with--but we have trucks and suv's here.
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby BleedsHuskieRed on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:43 am

I try not to wear flip-flops, but I do wear shorts while riding. Just wondering why some of you wear a 3/4 helmet on one scooter and a full face on others?
1984 Honda Aero NH125
BleedsHuskieRed

Postby sooznd on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 am

BleedsHuskieRed wrote:I try not to wear flip-flops, but I do wear shorts while riding. Just wondering why some of you wear a 3/4 helmet on one scooter and a full face on others?

When I ride my Met or Vino 125 on our local scooter club rides, I feel it is easier to communicate with people better when wearing the 3/4 helmet. For me it is personal preference...

I tend to gear up more when I ride the Vino 125, because I will ride on faster roads out of town. I do not always wear boots when I ride my Met, I do when I ride the Vino 125.
Last edited by sooznd on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby lildebbie on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I always wear a full-face helmet..anything less makes me feel vulnerable and exposed.

debbie
2006 Kymco People 150- Miss Scarlett
lildebbie

Postby dmill120 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:23 pm

BleedsHuskieRed wrote:Just wondering how many of you wear helmets when you ride your scooter? I live in Illinois where it is optional and I rarely see anyone else with a helmet. I have one and I wear it everytime I ride my scooter. I see no reason not to.

I always wear my Helmet even though NH law does not require one.
I figure that either the pavement or a vehicle bumper is much harder than my face or head.
That would make a terrible grease spot! Ouch!

Dennis
dmill120

Postby kittwhy on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Who wears a helmet? People who want to live and not on drugs or machines. People who want to arrive safely, not just arrive all cool and cute. I am a newer rider, but I'm not stupid. I wear gloves, helmet, safety glasses, jacket with armor, long pants, and boots. (well, and sometimes hi-top Converse sneakers! I know- I know.) I took the MSF course, it was excellent. And, I value my brains more than ever, now.

Here in PA the helmet laws were revoked a few years ago. Just the other day, 4th of July, I crashed at maybe 5 mph as I was leaving a parking lot, and went awkwardly into a mini-median strip. I could have sustained a LOT more than just bruises and an injured ego had I not been wearing full riding gear. (I spazzed out and accelerated when I should have braked, and turned one way when I should've turned the other. Honestly I don't even know what happened.) Fortunately, no one hit me nor the bike. That time was on our 250 Vespa; I usually ride my Met. What a big difference: lots more HP and lots more torque on that 250.

So, you just keep on wearing that helmet in Illinois, you don't want to become a statistic.
08 Monza Met, baby
kittwhy

Postby Shelley74 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:21 pm

I do! : ) I feel fragile without it!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shelley74

Postby sab001 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm not hard-headed; therefore, I shall wear a helmet.
Scott from Houston, TX
2009 Kymco Agility 125 (blue) - 10/01/2008
sab001

Next

Return to Apparel Discussion