Who wears a helmet?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Who wears a helmet?

Postby seafea on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:11 pm

I've only rented scooters before, but I would never consider riding one without at least a 3/4 helmet. And after seeing pictures in on of the crash threads, I'm thinking of using a full-face helmet all the time.
seafea

Postby Bustin on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 pm

seafea wrote:I've only rented scooters before, but I would never consider riding one without at least a 3/4 helmet. And after seeing pictures in on of the crash threads, I'm thinking of using a full-face helmet all the time.

=D>

As the great philosopher Stinky McFarland once said : " A smart person learns from their own mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others ."
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby happyphysicsman on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:31 pm

The question of "Should I wear a helmet when riding?" is an age old question. It can be answered in many perspectives.

#1: The full right wing conservative answer - Why is it the government's business to tell me whether or not I need to wear a helmet? Big government bad, small government good. The least number of fingers the government has in my life the better.

#2: the full left wing liberal answer - You should have no control over your own life, and the government will tell you everything that you should do and also when and where. The government will take care of you and dictate how you WILL live your life.

Now, of course these are two extremes, but they paint two interesting perspectives on the issue at hand. I believe the answer to the question has nothing to do with laws, regulations, or anything government related. Instead the answer is all centered around Darwin's "theory" of evolution. (I place theory in quotes because as a scientist, my definition of theory is much more concrete then the lay-man's definition. Scientific "theory" are drastically more concrete then questionable...But I am a full blooded Christian. THE TWO ARE NOT PITTED AGAINST EACH OTHER). I want my genes to carry on. Natural selection obviously assumes that the two individuals procreating are alive. If you decide not to wear a FF helmet (or any helmet) then you have a much greater probability of not being able to procreate and that women or man of your dreams will never meet you.

Another aspect of Darwin's theory is survival of the fittest. This survival does not just assume physical fitness, but also mental fitness. In my opinion, you are not mentally fit if you believe there is no requirement to wearing a helmet when riding your bicycle, scooter, or motorcycle. Therefore, you will not survive.

I have a good friend who takes the right wing extreme perspective and adds the twist of Darwin's Theory to state that we should do away with all laws and regulations the require helmets and let those "idiots" who would ride without them, ride without them. Then because of Darwin's theory, those individuals genes would have a much greater probability of not being passed onto posterity eventually eradicating the "idiot" genes from the human gene pool.

I personally don't agree as I have respect for all our Heavenly Fathers Children, but It is another interesting thought.

Moral of the story: If you want to live, regardless of what laws are in your state or how silly you might feel because no one else is doing it, wear a helmet - preferably a full face helmet.
HPM
'05 Met II in process of becoming a Met I
happyphysicsman

Postby Bustin on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

I actually kind of agree with the "Darwinism" argument, although in practice it probably produces more orphans than it prevents stupid people from breeding , lol.

Safety and constitutional issues aside, just about every hard-core, year around rider I know (myself included) wears a full face helmet ,comfort being one of the main reasons. This design keeps the rain, cold, wind, rocks, and bugs out of your eyes, nose and mouth. Much warmer in the winter. Quieter. Better visibility in inclement weather. And......errr, lets leave the safety debate out of this, lol.

The no-helmet / brain bucket crowd generally have one thing in common: They ride in warm, dry weather almost exclusively . Many of them ride heavy cruisers with big windshields. Many of them are more concerned with rocking the "biker" look than safety or comfort. That's their choice, and they are entitled to it.

Plenty of urban scootin' types also run little open face helmets (or go without) , but again, they are generally riding for short distances, at low speeds, in good weather. I suppose you could do this for years down in SoCa , Hawaii, or Florida , and not catch a lot of foul weather in the face....and bug strikes are less of an issue at 40mph as opposed to 80mph, for sure.

In the rest of this country, where we have cold and wet weather on a regular basis, if somebody decides to ride year around with an open face helmet (or no helmet), they will invaribly get tired of being uncomfortable , and start looking for ways to fix the problem. Buying a full face is the obvious answer, but you will see people trying to attach faceshields to their brain buckets , or using various face covers, whatever....no of which are gonna prove very effective compared to a full face lid. I had one guy in my store this winter who was using five (5) extra pieces of gear (I counted) in an attempt to convert his peanut-shell helmet into an effective all-weather setup....and it still wasn't working for beans. For the cash he blew on all those extra doo-dads, he could have bought a cheap full face, and maybe kept his lower face in the event an accident to boot, but hey, to each his own.

One thing that always hold true when it comes to safety gear in general : The more experience, years of riding, and miles a rider has under their belt, the more likely they are to use good full coverage gear , including a full face helmet. New riders (or weekend warriors) without much (or any) riding experience often scoff at safety gear and go without. Read into that whatever you want , but I really only see one conclusion that can be drawn from this .

;)
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby PDXRUCKUS on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:53 pm

My helmet is like my gloves, always on. oregon helmet law enforces that rule anyway.
PDXRUCKUS

Postby fishcutter44 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Yup, helmet always on when riding. 3 different ones in the garage. When an acquaintance of mine showed up riding his Bajaj sans helmet for the 4th time, I made him take one and keep it. I can't force him to wear it, but at least he has it.
17 Met, 2016 Kymco Like 200i, Bajaj Chetak, one 1965 Fuji Rabbit, a 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Special, but formerly 2005 Vespa GTS 250, 1965 Vespa 125, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1980 Suzuki GS450, 1980 Honda Rebel 250, 05 Met Kanji-sold to a good friend
fishcutter44

Postby KABarash on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 am

I once rode around the 'block' without my helmet (about 2 1/2 mles) I felt NEKKID!!! :-o

Rented a 50cc scooter on vacation once, they looked at me as if I was nuts when I inquired about helmets along with the rental! This was in Chintique Va.
''04 Honda Met. 'Archie'
'08 Buddy 150 St. Tropez 'Simon'
EPSP #136
KABarash

Postby Marcster on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 pm

KABarash wrote:I once rode around the 'block' without my helmet (about 2 1/2 mles) I felt NEKKID!!! :-o

Rented a 50cc scooter on vacation once, they looked at me as if I was nuts when I inquired about helmets along with the rental! This was in Chintique Va.

Wife and I rented a scooter in Bermuda last May. They only had half-helmets -- that felt naked too!

I wish I would have known, I would have bought goggles -- dust and whatnot gets in your eyes.

Around here, I always wear a full-face. I kinda like my brain.
Marcster

Postby KABarash on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 am

Marcster wrote:
KABarash wrote:I once rode around the 'block' without my helmet (about 2 1/2 mles) I felt NEKKID!!! :-o

Wife and I rented a scooter in Bermuda last May. They only had half-helmets -- that felt naked too!

I wish I would have known, I would have bought goggles -- dust and whatnot gets in your eyes.

Around here, I always wear a full-face. I kinda like my brain.

Makes me crazy sometimes, y_e_a_r_s ago I rode without a helmet, laws changed I wore a 'skull cap' helmet, I layed down a bike on the Long Island Expressway going Waaaay TOO fast.... survived with nothing more than some rash that 30++ years later is just about invisible now.
When my son and I got the Met, we got a half helmet, I told him I wished he'd wear at least a 3/4
(I get claustrophobic in a FF!! ) Heck we made our kids even wear bicycle helmets when I was a kid I don't think they had even been invented yet!
Laws have changed, and Laws have changed again, what makes me Mad as a Hatter is that here in Pa. we can ride without a helmet, but when I work on the road side, and how fast can I really walk, we HAVE to wear a hard hat, what use is that!!!
''04 Honda Met. 'Archie'
'08 Buddy 150 St. Tropez 'Simon'
EPSP #136
KABarash

Previous

Return to Apparel Discussion