Who wears a helmet?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Who wears a helmet?

Postby sab001 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Also... expose whatever you want to lose. I'd rather not lose my head so I'll wear a helmet.
Scott from Houston, TX
2009 Kymco Agility 125 (blue) - 10/01/2008
sab001

Postby offa_broadway on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 pm

I wear a full face helmet, leather riding gloves, a leather jacket, and closed-toe footwear, always, even in 30+ degree Celsius weather. I'd rather be hot than dead. :D
~OffaBroadway~

2008 Vino 125 ~ Vinny
Iridium plug/PCV Valve/Disabled Accelerator Pump
85mpg AVG / 6900km as of 12/13/08
Snow Scootin!
offa_broadway

Postby jschmitz on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:23 am

I wear a full face helmet all the time.
jschmitz

Postby RedBikeGirl on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 am

I'm in Louisiana, where wearing a helmet is not required (I think it's not anyway). But I wear a helmet EVERY time I ride. I also wear a bike helmet when I ride my bicycle. I'm not stupid. B-)
2010 Red Elite.
RedBikeGirl

Postby scooter_girl on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:34 am

I always wear a helmet with visor down and sunglasses as well. The only time I don't is if I'm in my driveway working on it and need to listen for particular noises, otherwise it'd be stupid i think not to wear one.
"Oh, this happiness is strong stuff.It's marvellously liberating." - J.D. Salinger

http://www.scooterrebellion.net/phpBB3
scooter_girl

Postby Biffmeistro on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm

I always wear a half helmet. I feel safer with it than I think I would with a full helmet.

My opinion is that the best thing that 2 wheels has when it comes to accidents is avoidance. There's not too much luck about faring well in any accident ever if you're on 2 wheels, so it's always better to be more aware of the situation and avoid the accident in the first place. I'm of the opinion the half helmet with it's exposed ears allows you to hear things far better.
I've heard people say you can hear well in a full face or 3/4 helmet, but I'm a bit hesitant to believe it. While you may be able to hear what is going on, your ability to instinctively know from where that sound is coming is 99% likely to be impaired.

Just my opinion. But yes, I ALWAYS wear my helmet. And goggles.
Biffmeistro

Postby useless on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:40 am

Rulez of thumb:

Those who have something to protect, protect it, those who don't...well, they don't.
Sex, breakfast of champions.
useless

Postby vulcan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:45 pm

Since this is a thread about helmets, I thought I would post this link, to an article that appeared in Motorcyclist magazine. After reading this article, I went out and purchased a new helmet, the one that did best in their test. I had always thought that the Snell rating was important, and worth paying extra for. Turned out I was wrong. My new helmet is not Snell rated, and I will not buy another Snell rated helmet until they change their testing procedures to more accurately reflect real world conditions. I would trust Harry Hurt and Dave Thom over anyone at Snell anyday. They were around way back when I first started riding motorcycles on the street, and have earned their reputation. I have a copy of the original Hurt report, that I got way back when it first came out. IMO, it is STILL the only accurate source of motorcycle accident information out there. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html BTW, this is not meant to start an argument, I have stated my opinion, everybody else is entitled to theirs. Safe Scootin, Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby HuskieMobileMan on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 am

Whenever I ride in any traffic it is always full face, riding jacket, jeans and at the minimum gym shoes. I do usually wear some sort of boot instead of gym shoes.

When I am at my campground (20 mph speed limit) I don't wear any protective gear although I probably should.
2005 Kymco ZX50
1987 Honda Elite SE50
1984 Honda Aero NH80
1984 Honda Aero NH125
2001 Honda CBR600 F4I
HuskieMobileMan

Postby elliottly on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear my helmet and closed toe shoes and reflective motorcycle vest. I can speak from experience a helmet does wonders for keeping the noggin' safer when sliding down the pavement after a sudden separation from the motorcycle I was passenger on... Also, on my bicycle ALWAYS wear my helmet too. Just make sense to me.
two wheels is always the way
02 Juice Metro
elliottly

Postby honkerman on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:22 pm

I always wear a helmet with a face shield, usually wear blue jeans (though I'll admit to wearing shorts on occasion), and when it's not too hot to do so, I have a jacket I got at Wal-mart that's heavy canvas-like material that's almost as warm as leather.

I'd love to have a leather jacket. I figure, it must be good stuff because cows wear it all year round.

Anyway, for footwear, I have a pair of crocks. Probably not the best option, but I work in a health care related field and am on my feet most of the day.
scootinfool.blogspot.com
2013 Honda PCX-150 (yay!)
2009 Kymco People 150 (sold)
1983 Honda Sabre v45 750 (sold)
2006 Yamaha Vino Classic 50 (no longer owned)
honkerman

Postby skyscraper on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm hoping to get a scooter this winter as a Christmas/You're doing well in college gift. I've seen a few people on scooters that wear helmets, and others that don't. I may be young but definitely not invincible. There are some crazy drivers in the city and you never know what can happen. I'd rather wear a helmet and look goofy then not wear one and act goofy. (No offense.)
skyscraper

Postby paperskater on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:12 am

I wear a full-face helmet on my Met. :) I look pretty funny with my tiny body and my huge helmeted head, but oh well.
paperskater

Postby myras_girls on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:51 am

Always my 3/4 helmet, gloves, armored jacket & closed toe shoes. I do wear capri pants or skirts with leggings.

One day I rode my scooter a few blocks on side streets wearing just my helmet w/o my jacket or gloves because it was so incredibly hot. I normally would walk a few blocks but it was too hot outside to get even hotter by walking.
07 Sapphire Met/ 09 Light Blue Buddy 125

Killer Bees Scooter Club
myras_girls

Postby undertheradar on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Full face helmet, shoes, gloves, shorts and t-shirt...unless it's chilly then I wear a sweatshirt.
undertheradar

PreviousNext

Return to Apparel Discussion