Who wears a helmet?

Discuss protective gear, jackets, shoes and all things you can wear here

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Re: Who wears a helmet?

Postby kcteabag on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Before we had the helmet law in Calif., I never used to wear a brain bucket, but now I feel nakkid without one. I havea fullfaced helmet as well as a half helmet and I use the full faced one more because it's cold here and sometimes misty (fog). in hotter weather the half helmet will suffice, but my eyes won't feel protected from all of the debri and wind.

kc
kcteabag

Postby benjo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 pm

I tried on a 1/2 helmet and a 3/4 helmet the other day and I felt naked. :P
benjo

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:22 pm

benjo wrote:I tried on a 1/2 helmet and a 3/4 helmet the other day and I felt naked. :P

it's always better to wear pants and a shirt when trying on any helmet. ;)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby brhythm on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Always a helmet with me. I bought my scoot used of some guys lawn, and when I went to pick it up, I took my bicycle helmet with me. I used that to get my Met home. When I went buy the motorsports store in my area (1/2 hour away), I picked up my helmet. For me, it's helmet, eye protection, Chuck Taylors, and long pants and shirt. When it got cool enough, I started wearing by LL Bean barn coat. I don't think it will matter how hot it gets--a helmet is essential!
brhythm

Postby longhairedrockstar on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:35 pm

seven zero seven
vandetta

got it for 50 bucks on sale and love it.

a buddy of mine just had a deer leap out in front of him while he was on his crotchrocket.
after i saw the impact on the chin of his helmet and the condition of his bike, i went out and got a fullface too.

in the summer i was using a little skullcatcher like the harley guys use...but i might just stay with the FF for the better protection.
2008 honda metrolitan - gothic
1981 honda cm400c
longhairedrockstar

Postby Phred on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 am

I was wearing an open face helmet with a face shield last fall when I was sideswiped by a pickup that failed to yield at an intersection. I was doing about 30 mph on my scooter at the time, the pickup was going faster than me. The face shield peeled off the helmet when my head impacted the asphalt, scraping across my right eye, nose and upper lip, taking a good deal of skin with it. The helmet itself cracked and has some impressive road rash on it. I do feel that it saved my life. I am replacing it with a full face helmet, and I will wear it always whenever riding my (new) scooter. I was also wearing leather padded gloves, but lost skin off the backs of both hands as they "burned" through sliding on the pavement. Ditto both knees as my dungarees were shredded. Right collar bone and three ribs were broken when the truck hit me. Had two fractures of the pelvis, probably when I hit the ground.

I believe in choice. Wear a helmet or don't. It's up to you. But for me, I wouldn't consider riding without one.
2005 Metropolitan II, salsa
2006 Metropolitan, denim
Phred

Postby Marcster on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Full-face helmet, armored jacket, armored gloves, riding boots -- for every ride.

I add Icon's Leg Armor if the ride is over 15 minutes at 45mph or above.
http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_sh ... r_leg.html
--Drowning in the scooterness... Image
Right now I feel: Image
Marcster

Postby Marcster on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 pm

paperskater wrote:I wear a full-face helmet on my Met. :) I look pretty funny with my tiny body and my huge helmeted head, but oh well.

Some helmet manufacturers make helmets with different sized "shells" vs. just making thicker foam to accommodate make a larger shell fit properly on a smaller head.

Look for a manufacturer with 3-4 different sized shells. That could prevent the "spaceman" look you are referring to.
Marcster

Postby ruck_ryder on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:27 am

I worked in a hospital for a long while and saw my share of folks involved in MVA (motor vehicle accidents) who were on bikes. Let it suffice to say that I'd wear a helmet even if it wasn't the law in NYS.
2007 Ruckus

Ride like you stole it...
ruck_ryder

Postby aero80lover on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:29 pm

I never used to wear a helmet until about 3 years ago. I was on a ATV and flipped, shoved the handle bar into my leg about 2 -3 inches. I used to be under the impression that if you knew what you were doing, you didn't need a helmet. Now I wear a full face. The one thing that bothers me is that in Utah and most states, they enforce the seat belt law, but if you are over 18 you don't have to wear a helmet. How is me not wearing my stupid seat belt going to affect anyone other than myself in a crash???? That just is my 2 cents.
1983 Honda Aero80
1985 Honda Aero50
1984 Honda Aero 80
www.aeroriders.proboards.com
aero80lover

Postby FLATOUT50 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 am

Don't leave home without it...
2009 Honda Metropolitan (Sold)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic
FLATOUT50

Postby nuttmeg on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:15 pm

I wear my full face helmet (I want a modular one), joe rocket summer riding gloves, something long sleeved (ordered my armored jacket, its not here yet), closed toe shoes, and of course jeans. I like my skin I wouldn't mind hanging on to it and my brain. In this state of Illinois there is no helmet law so people think just riding on a scoot or motorcycle in shorts and a t-shirt is ok.... I don't want to ever see an accident with them involved, it would not be pretty. I zipped down the road, once without my gloves on and I felt so wrong, never again will I do that...
Megan
Vespa GT 200L
2009 Scion xB
nuttmeg

Postby shaggy8 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I raced motorcross for 4 yrs. I only wear a full face helmet, gloves, jacket, and tennis shoes. It seems like alot but when you take a spill, and you will sooner or later, it is worth it. Ive seen alot of damge and blood over the years. I hate 3/4 and "bowl" helmets. They are cooler in the summer, but hurt your dental plan in a spill. :D
shaggy8

Postby Nickie on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:34 pm

I do. I see an awful lot of dummies on scooters around here with no skid lid, slip flops, and even no eye protection. What if a bug hits an eye... about one in four motorcycle riders around here wear helmets, and it's even worse for scooterists. I guess they think "It wont go very fast, so I wont get hurt bad." Stoopid!
Our club, Slowpokes Scooter Club, requires a helmet to go on our rides... don't like the rule? Too bad!
Nickie

Postby Bustin on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:09 pm

Yeah , I just spent some time in Hawai'i and about 80% of scooter and motorcyclists don't wear any kind of helmet. Saw quite a few people riding without even eye protection , I don't understand how that works, but my guess is "not very good" ....especially when the daily , 10 minute monsoon rain storm comes out of nowhere.

:))
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

PreviousNext

Return to Apparel Discussion