Metro has lights and fuel; won't start

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Metro has lights and fuel; won't start

Postby vedderfreak12 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey gang,

Trying to fire up the old Metro. I've put a fully charged battery on, and have even tried jumping it from a car. With the key in the ON position, the fuel pump primes up and lights come on. When I hit the black button - nothing.

Is there a starter I should be looking for? I know there's a STATOR, but don't know much else on what keeps the juices flowing on it.

2002 Metro, shit-ton of miles, hasn't been ridden in three long, sad, lonely years.

Whatcha think?

Thanks
Bryce
vedderfreak12

Re: Metro has lights and fuel; won't start

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I think you have old crappy fuel that has turned to varnish, filthy fuel lines that the pump is struggling with and a carburetor that Is clogged and sludged. Unfortunate negatives thwarting a start.

Empty the fuel, make sure the tank has no crud in it, and supply fresh fuel with some StaBil or Seafoam or any good fuel stabilizer added. Remove the carburetor and clean it thoroughly and properly. Use the Search feature here to find ideal methods for cleaning the carburetor effectively. Not fun, but necessary.
What's the spark plug look like? If it's full of carbon blocking the gap it won't spark properly, so pull it and change it.
Don't ever jump the bike from a car! Oh no! It will blow the ECU and you will have fried the thing's brain so it will have to be reset or might need a new ECU. Lotsa luck! It is possible you have already killed it from a jump start with a car, but you won't know until you optimize your chances for starting success by executing the other suggestions first. My first suspect would not be the ECU, but the other items mentioned are much more obvious and likely to be the causes of failure to start.

3 years of doing nothing makes your Met present you with many hours of challenging work. It can be done. Take heart, start the job and you will eventually get the satisfaction of making it run. Chin up!
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby vedderfreak12 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm

I should clarify - I've never jump-started from a car that was running :) Just using the cranking amps that the (car) battery has to transfer over.

Spark plug is new!

I'll be tackling the carb and gas tank tonight! Stay tuned, and thanks for the quick response!
vedderfreak12

Postby vedderfreak12 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 pm

2/28/17 update - Got a freshly charged battery on it, new fuel filter, spark plug, clean tank/fresh gas, and a cleaned out carb.

Left brake locked, key in on position, red kill switch disabled, fuel pump primes, lights/turn signals work, press START button.... nothing.

I'm really beginning to think it's something electrical. I haven't traced the wires from the Start button back to the harness, but thinking about starting there next.

Any suggestions on where to go to next?
Thinking about testing relays, and inspecting the stator. I don't really know how to tell if the stator is bad.... I guess what I need to know the most is what the black start button is actually starting. Does it go to the ECM, and then to the stator? Is there a relay somewhere in the mix? Fuses look fine.
vedderfreak12

Postby fishcutter44 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Check the kill switch, and don't ask me how I know this :D
And also be sure to squeeze the brake lever, otherwise the starter is disabled.
17 Met, 2016 Kymco Like 200i, Bajaj Chetak, one 1965 Fuji Rabbit, a 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Special, but formerly 2005 Vespa GTS 250, 1965 Vespa 125, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1980 Suzuki GS450, 1980 Honda Rebel 250, 05 Met Kanji-sold to a good friend
fishcutter44

Postby GizmoGal on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:06 am

Vedderfreak12, release the locked brake lever. Instead, try starting with one or the other brake levers squeezed by hand for starting attempts. Try either one, not always the left one (that locks). If a sensor is dead and you keep assuming the left lever is engaged to allow the starter to work, you may never start. Make sure to try to start with the right brake pulled as a variable.

Good that you already know about the kill switch. Fishcutter44 gave good advice. That kill switch could be hung up. Try working it on and off a couple of times and then leave it off and try to start.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions