Honda Metropoitan 2005 500 miles

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Honda Metropoitan 2005 500 miles

Postby azoob on Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

When the scooter goes above 25mph it begins to sputter and loosesx power and shakes
azoob

Re: Honda Metropoitan 2005 500 miles

Postby GizmoGal on Fri May 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Is it a Met I (unrestricted model) or a Met II (speed restricted)? The Met II was a restricted model with a top speed of 25-28 mph. 2005 was the last year that Honda sold both types in the US. From 2006 on, there was only the unrestricted Honda Met sold in the US.

If you own a 2005 Met II, it will struggle and suffer to make speed better than about 25 mph, depending on the weight of the rider, even with wide open throttle. So your complaint sounds very much like you own a 2005 Met II. Don't expect any faster speed if that's true. Are you the original owner or is the bike only recently yours?

Until you can supply more information, there is little more help to offer. You don't say which model you own. You should describe how the scooter has been used, stored, and maintained with such low mileage over 12 years. You don't explain what type of riding environment you use the bike: hills? paved roads? long commutes or short rides? Cold weather use? Are these symptoms sudden or did they develop over time ? Did it ever happen before? You don't have to answer every single question, just use them as guidance to fill in information that might be helpful to know while trying to help with your scooter problem.

Without clues, your potential advisers stay clueless. Add information and also be sure to check if you own a Met I or Met II.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby azoob on Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm

I bought it used with 500 miles on it. I got it with a full tank. It sat during the winter but he said he took it in to prepare it for the idle time during the winter. THe first few days when driving it I got to 35 or so mph and then this started happening. I would assume it is a Met II. when I tested it it did not go above 35 mph.

Supposedly it was taken care of and prepared for Winter. It only has 500 miles on it.

The rider weighs 100 lbs. I tried it at first and I am 230lbs and it went to 35mph or so.

I do not have records on how it was maintained. Garage Stored. Paved roads only. Short rides

The symptoms started like 4 days after we got it. They are sudden.
azoob

Postby GizmoGal on Mon May 22, 2017 5:17 pm

It's more likely a Met I. The Met II would not make 35mph as it is restricted to only about 25-28 mph. You say it got to 35 mph for a few days. So I'm sure you have the unrestricted model that would get 35-38 in perfect condition. You have the better bike but it needs maintenance. If you don't have the skills to take out parts and put them back, you need a mechanic or a bike shop. If you know how, then you need to service the scooter yourself. The former owner "taking it in to prepare for winter" does not explain what was done to the scooter. Took it in where? Prepared how? I don't need the answers, you do! You don't seem to know much about how this bike was taken care of. The bottom line is this scooter is 12 years old and you say it has hardly any miles. So it was idle more than it was used. That causes problems if it was neglected. Machines are designed to be used, not stored idle.

You might need to clean the carburetor by removing it, soaking the parts and thoroughly clearing clogs in the needle and all places that are obvious and then reassembling it and replacing. Fuel that sat in the tank all winter or longer without fuel treatment can cause problems. Empty the fuel tank, refill with fresh fuel (87 octane is sufficient) and add appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer like StaBil or SeaFoam or any product similar. Don't overfill the tank. Run the engine at a moderate speed while on the center stand to let the carburetor and fuel lines benefit from the fresh fuel and treatment products. With good fuel and a clean carburetor you should find better performance eventually at top speed. A new spark plug with a proper gap also could be helpful. Look up the correct plug type and gap in the owner's manual or perhaps postings in this forum. Also check the oil. If it is old and dirty, changevthe oiland put in fresh clean oil at the proper weight. Make sure you do not overfill the oil level. Check it with the dipstick as you fill so you keep,it right. Overfilling with oil will impact top speed. These suggestions are simplest places to start based on what problems you described.

It is not advisable to ride any scooter at wide open throttle at all times. It does incremental damage to the belt and rollers and then that also causes top speed problems. If your scooter isn't fast enough for traffic conditions or for your comfort, get a different, faster scooter instead of trying to make your Met go at top speed all the time. A pony is not a race horse. And nothing works well if neglected or abused.

Work on the fuel and carburetor first. Or get a professional to give it attention. Fuel and carburetor corruption are the most common culprits with older Mets. If you don't see performance improvements you can come back for more advice if you account for your efforts and results then. I have no other ideas.
Good luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions