I need Better suspension

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

I need Better suspension

Postby Jayro80 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 am

I have some issues with my Honda. I am a little bigger, 250lbs, and was wondering if there is anything I can do to assist the rear shock absorption? I bottom out a bit and think if I was 165lbs it would be perfect. Is there anything I can do?
Jayro80

Re: I need Better suspension

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Changing to a stiffer shock absorber might help, but I really think it's a poor solution. If you want to learn more about the viability of that, look for threads in the forum regarding shock absorber upgrades and similar modifications. Use the Advanced Search feature and restrict the search to the Maint & Mod Questions topic area.

Of course, the obvious answer for your bike's survival is for you to lose weight! But that's a mean way to word it. More constructive is to recommend you buy a bike better suited to your physical size. You are asking a lot of a 49cc Met to roll successfully with a big guy as you describe yourself. It's impractical and unrealistic. The bike will never get up to its normal street speed, it will be damaged bottoming out, it wears the tires badly, and its brakes are not suited to stopping with such small wheels and a heavy load.

Don't modify the Honda Met. Get a scooter appropriate for you. Start with looking at scooters at least 125cc. Good luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Re: I need Better suspension

Postby jeorge7 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 am

What he said. The stock shocks are a bit soft so getting aftermarket ones can help.
jeorge7

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions