Need some advice please

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Need some advice please

Postby Metro2006 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 pm

I bought a 2006 Metro that hasn't run in 5 years. So far this is what I have done to try to get it started.... I have drained the gas, added more gas and drained that as well. Replaced the battery, replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. Inspected the air filter (which is in good shape) Checked for spark and compression which are both fine. I checked the fuel pump and it is working. I took the carburetor off 3 different times to clean it, including both of the jets. The carburetor was reasonably clean after sitting for 5 years. It sounds like it wants to start but it will not. I even made a make shift temporary gas tank connecting directly to the carb (by-passing the gas line from the gas tank) hoping that would help, but that did not either. Has anyone had a similar situation or can anyone suggest why it might not be getting fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jack
Metro2006

Re: Need some advice please

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:36 am

Put some fuel stabilizer like Seafoam or Stabil in the gas tank with the fresh gas. It will make sure the fuel doesn't varnish over time.
Have you tried a short spray of quick start near the air intake while turning it over. It can get it going for you and once it's running it might clear the carburetor clog. I'm quite sure you need to get those jets really clean or replaced.
I think your engine is getting fuel, but it may be too lean.
Did you try kick starting just see if it can do It?
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

2006 Metropolitan won't start

Postby Metro2006 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:33 am

Thanks for your response. No I haven't tried kick starting it. How is that different from the electric starter? I figured that they would be the same? Also on a YouTube video I saw that someone soaked their carb in Berryman Chem-dip. On the re-install he mentioned resetting the ECU or ECM? I did not do that and was wondering what that does exactly? Could that be my issue?
Metro2006

Re: Need some advice please

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 am

The kick starter will work even if your battery is dead. It is a different system. I don't know the condition of your battery. If it's weak or has been discharged and then recharged time after time, it may not be enough to start the bike. So I suggested trying to start with the kickstart. Same as I believe fuel stabilizer will be beneficial. Or a squirt of quick start spray (ether). I have no particular strategy in offering ideas. Just making suggestions or stimulating thoughts you might want to pursue. To troubleshoot, you expand the idea base and see what works.

There are many prior threads about the ECU in the Maintenance section here, including the exact steps how to perform the reset. Use the Search feature or Advanced Search to cull threads that will edify. Then you can decide if you want to try that reset if you come to believe it may be a factor in your present problems. The ECU's job is to manage the air-fuel mixture, ignition timing, and idle speed electronically. If it is not functioning properly, a reset may get it back to normal and improve the starting/running for you, by properly managing the three elements. The downside is if you perform the reset improperly or interfere with it, you may have no functional ECU thereafter.

Perhaps the former owner blundered with that ECU and your efforts after all you've tried are thwarted by electronic malfunction? Can you contact the seller and find out what maintenance or repairs were given by the former owner?

As you have indicated you like YouTube help, read what you can here on the forum and take it further with a video if you want to try the reset. When you are confident you can do it, the ECU reset can be a solution.

No one can be certain what's your issue by answering in a forum. Diagnostics require hands on. You systematically try solutions and see what works. Suggestions are guidance, not gospel. Still hoping you find some luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions