HONDA AERO HELP!

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

HONDA AERO HELP!

Postby Mechanicguy24 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am

Hello everyone! I have a Honda aero scooter I just purchased, I believe it's a Honda aero? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It seems someone has taken the oil injection pump and resivore off. I got it to start and run on premix after it had been sitting 8-10 years according to the person I got it from. I'm just wondering if it's safe to run on premix or if I should buy all the missing oil injection parts and bring it back to stock? Why would someone remove all those parts in the first place? Also this scooter only has 1,400 miles on it. I bought it at a flea market for $75. I rode it for about 15 minutes yesterday on the 50:1 premix and it seemed to run good. Good power on the low end but got sputtery on full throttle. Also the electric start doesn't work, it just clicks when I hit the start button. I think something is wrong with internal wiring. I've traced and inspected all wires and nothing seems to be broken. But when I hit that start button I get 5v on the engine where there should be a ground. This is a 12v system correct? Any help would be great! Thanks everyone!!
Attachments
Screenshot_20171002-111303.jpg
Screenshot_20171002-111303.jpg (440.33 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Mechanicguy24

Re: HONDA AERO HELP!

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 am

Glad to see your enthusiasm as a new rider. This forum is decidedly skewed to Honda Metropolitans for riding and fixing and there aren't many Aero owners or those with Aero experience here.

I do hope you are able to get answers and get the scooter running perfectly. It's not a good idea to run it only on pre-mix. It is designed to use gasoline and the pre-mix is to handle the two stroke workings, not to provide fuel. You'll certainly need to put fresh gas in it after cleaning the tank and the lines. But lots of luck getting parts--that's a really old bike and dealers and parts places may not have what you need. Enjoy it any way you can.

I can also suggest that you go to another forum to see if you can make contact with other Aero owners. The other forum, Adventure Rider, is mostly motorcycles, but also has a scooter section and a big thread for Aeros. I belong to Adventure Rider to share with other Honda Elite owners.

Take a look at the link I've provided and then perhaps you will want to join that forum as well and post questions and photos.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/t ... ad.934504/

Hope I've helped.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Mechanicguy24 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the help, I'll look at the other forum and see what kind of answers I can get. EBay seemed to have a lot of parts I would need to rebuild the scooter to "stock" settings.
Mechanicguy24

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Buy only from EBay merchants who will accept returns and provide refunds or will guarantee parts they sell. Not all available parts are authentic and will fit or work. Aeros are bikes with historical popularity but they are long gone, which means parts are sometimes from stripped or disabled scooters that don’t work, are rusted or damaged, or do not always come from actual Aero models.
Explore resources for parts on the Aero thread on AdvRider. In the case of EBay, unless the part is really inexpensive so there’s no big consequence, be careful. You know what is said: trust, but verify. Caveat emptor.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions