Aftermarket GET fuel pump?

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Aftermarket GET fuel pump?

Postby dataguy on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Thinking my stalling issues could be fuel system related. The pump output seems to be good, but wondering if something in the pump is malfunctioning and shutting down the ECM (see my other post:)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17127
The service manual says if the ECM detects a problem in the fuel system, it will shut down - but it's not overly specific beyond that.

So, anyone had any luck with the aftermarket fuel pumps on ebay for the Metro and Ruckuses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-Scoot ... Y0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-2003-2017 ... 1041502489

For the price, I am thinking its worth a shot! I cringe at throwing another 75 bucks (Honda OEM pump) at this thing...it's been a money pit of sorts.
dataguy

Re: Aftermarket GET fuel pump?

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm

I have no idea if either of those ebay items will solve your problem. But both merchants offer satisfaction guarantees and want to sell you a compatible product for your bike. I don't see any down side as the price is very advantageous.

I've bought zillions of parts and doo-dads, though not a Met or GET pump, from ebay merchants and I've never been burned once. There is always recourse through PayPal if you think you've been screwed by a bad deal, but I think your doubts are misplaced. Buy the damn pump and see what happens. A very modest investment to solve a really galling problem.

Do you really need to hear a cheer from this forum to be convinced to try a $25-$35 opportunity for a solution?
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby dataguy on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 pm

No, not needing a cheer, but just wondering if they weren't worth the effort, or better still, if anyone's bought one and it worked great.

I realize I have recourse through paypal and ebay, but if I knew they were garbage up front, I wouldn't bother with it.

Sorry if I struck a nerve; I'm new to these scooters. My experience is mostly with older bikes that don't have computers.
dataguy

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:59 am

No nerve struck. It just seems your hesitation is unwarranted. You won't get a lot of forum members telling their varied experiences with eBay pump purchases as it is just not common enough to have anecdotal value. I was trying to encourage you to buy the pump and get the fix going for your bike. Even one report of a positive prior experience will not prove validity for your pump purchase. Strike new ground, buy a pump knowing there is something to help if there's a defect, and write back if you lucked out and got the bike back in order and rolling. We'll all be the wiser.

Your first post got no response (so far) to help your diagnostics. It's too bad there is not more willingness to offer support and advice. Or people may not really know the answers to suggest anything. So I tried to move your inquiry to something positive by encouraging the purchase based on my general success with eBay parts and reminding you there is recourse if the deal goes negative.

Best I can do to help. It's very likely that if you only accept an endorsement of ebay pump merchants based on past pump purchases, you will wait a long bit to hear anything or buy anything. Only you can prioritize how fast you want the bike fixed and how long you will wait for advice.

I do hope your analysis is accurate, a low price pump works magic, and you post to say you're riding that scooter.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby 2Wheels4Ever on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Hey Dataguy,

I bought a fuel pump for my '02 Met II off of Ebay from a seller named happy19star. Paid $26 for it about 2 months ago. It has worked like a charm . . . still going strong after about 500 miles. I was leery, too, about a price that seemed almost too good to be true, but figured what the heck. It worked out for me (so far).

2Wheels4Ever
2Wheels4Ever

Postby dataguy on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Hey 2wheels,

Thanks for the information. I know, the price seemed too good to be true, although mine was a different seller. I received the pump, and it looks identical.
dataguy

Postby animogrom on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:33 pm

you get what you pay for name brand and cant go wrong than china made fuel fuel pump.
animogrom

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions