Dormant Met bogs at mid throttle

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Dormant Met bogs at mid throttle

Postby 09met on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi all,
I just bought an '09 Met that had been sitting for at least 2 years. I replaced the original battery, replaced the plug, changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, drained the gas, replaced it with 100% 91 octane and cleaned the carb jets (I didn't soak it, I just took it apart, removed the jets and cleaned them out). It will now start and run. It will rev pretty high on the center stand.
However, when I ride it, it bogs at about half throttle. I have tried letting it warm up quite a bit at idle. I have seen about 30mph down a slight hill. If I feather the throttle, it will rev a little higher but not much. I would guess the slide isn't opening all the way.
I have ordered a ruckus #75 main, ruckus needle, D-bit, and will remove the intake baffle when those parts arrive.
I think it would be a good idea to get it running properly before I add these parts. Any ideas for me?
Thanks,
09met
09met

Re: Dormant Met bogs at mid throttle

Postby Stevenmrvl on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 am

I just went through the same, with same model. Same symptoms, it was my jet with emulsion tube, not sure if I'm using correct terminology, but I had used a fine strand of copper wire, took a while between soaking and poking to get it through. But once through and reinstalled, works perfect ! Where you able to clean this jet to get such as wire through it ?
Stevenmrvl

Postby Tanuki on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:21 am

Also check you intake box and the rubber cuppler between carb and manifold, sounds like it could be an air leak.
Tanuki

Postby 09met on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Pardon my late response. I am having email issues lately and I need to check my forum response notification settings.

Steve, I did clean the emulsion tube during my carb cleaning session. I used a bbq grill brush wire. I got some sea foam. When I open up the carb to install the ruckus needle and jet, I will soak the carb when I have it open.

Tanuki, I will check the intake area for leaks. I will be removing the restrictor plate and I will make sure the seal is intact.

Since my post, I have had a few more rides and the weather has warmed up some. I have also installed the cold weather ngk plug. I think the warm weather helped more than the plug. But I still feel like there is something else going on. I am out of town for work all week so there will be no progress for a while :(
09met

Postby Stevenmrvl on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:28 am

Hopefully getting her moving, and a clean carb works ! As well, maybe do an ecu reset ? I have just done mine, but wet weather is keeping me from trying it out. I will follow up!
Stevenmrvl

Postby 09met on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:30 pm

I have installed the ruckus main jet and needle. reset ecu. Couldn't start it on my first tries. Charged battery and it started with some idle and some "D" adjustment screw tweaks. I let it idle for a while like that. First brief ride bogged again. I haven't spent enough time adjusting the D screw yet.
09met

Postby 09met on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm

I have this set of idle jets on order. I want to make sure the tiny #35 is clear. I might go up a size. They are pretty cheap but as long as the threads are good, I don’t see a concern with the cheap set.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3324384839

I also have an air filter on order.
Briggs & Stratton 491588S Flat Air Filter Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011WP4Q6/re ... LAbQQFVT4B
09met

Postby Stevenmrvl on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 am

I've been thinking on this, if your new jets, and air filter don't do the trick, might want to check valve clearance. I'm no mechanic but have experience. I am new to the forum, but will try to help, if in my realm
Stevenmrvl

Postby 09met on Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 pm

My belated update to this problem. I tried all the easy fixes - spark plug (learned of the winter/summer varieties from NGK), drain gas, gas treatment, new fuel filter, de-restrict intake and change main jet, oil change, clean carb, D screw for carb., etc etc. Cleaning out the carb the second time with an air compressor did the trick. I think the micro size idle jet was clogged. I could barely get a wire from a bbq grill brush to go through it. Now my Met starts eagerly above about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. It takes about 15 seconds of idling before it is ready to go. My last tasks are changing the gear oil and replacing the original tires.
09met

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions