How to Drain Carb?

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

How to Drain Carb?

Postby xyz-user on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:26 am

Can someone provide picture(s) and/or detailed instructions that help me find the drain screw for the carb?

The backstory:
I am very appreciative of the great info you've provided in this forum....
I got this 2008 Jazz (Canadian 'Metro') new in late August and have accumulated almost 1000 km, commuting, grocery shopping etc. Despite no previous experience with motor maintenance, with the help of Urban Scooting and the Honda Owners Manual, I've done all my own basic maintenance - 3 oil changes, brake adjustments etc.

Unfortunately, the temps are now continually below 0 C here in rural Quebec and the roads are icy and dicey, so it's time for winter storage. As the manual suggests, I've changed the oil, added stabilizer to the gas, removed the spark plug and added a little oil to the piston, removed the battery and placed on a charger, but I cannot figure out how to drain the carb. I feel like an idiot, but neither the Honda manual, nor this forum (I have searched! :) ) have a picture or sufficiently detailed instructions for me find the carb and drain screw. Please help!
It's gonna have to be in storage until mid-April at least.
xyz-user

Re: How to Drain Carb?

Postby Paddy_Crow on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:08 am

Three oil changes in 1000 km???

There is really no need to do all that, especially draining the carb since you've added Stabil. Just run it for 5 minutes or so to get the bowl filled with fresh gas/Stabil mixture.

My opinion, there isn't really much need for Stabil. Especially if you're storing your scoot in a cold garage. Heat is one of the factors that shorten the shelf life of gasoline.
Paddy_Crow

Postby scootinstonecold on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 am

Just hook up a battery tender to it....make sure you put about one and half ounces of Sea Foam in it before topping the tank off, and you're good to go...Let it run until the gas mixes with the additive and gets to the carb....It wouldn't hurt to squirt some oil in the cylinder if you feel better about it, but that's about it....Actually, everyone has a differant concept here, but just so you don't stop riding it, park it and then expect it to run next year....you'll do fine...LeRoy
scootinstonecold

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm not in the tundra of Quebec, for sure, but I've never drained my cab or removed the spark plug, and the thing stays in a cold garage all winter here. Fuel stabilizer addded to a full tank of fresh gas, run long enough to get it thru the carb. Pump air into the tires, give it clean oil and a tended battery that stays charged correctly and not cooked. All the rest is over the top. Your other advisors here are right. Doing useful things like battery upkeep and stabilized fuel are adequate to insure it will start after the April thaw.
Your biggest winter enemy is killing the battery or keeping gunk and goo in the carb or dirty old gas. You have that beat by your own description of steps you have taken. Go skiiing and stop worrying.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby xyz-user on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 pm

thanks for the advice, even if it isn't actually an answer to my question.
i'd still welcome a picture or description of how to get to the carb drain screw, even if it is overkill.

just to clarify that I'm not a maintenance nut -
first oil change was after 100 km to remove any 'new engine bits'; recommended by honda dealer; at $4 DIY why not?
second oil change at 800 km, as fair bit of riding on gravel/dusty roads
third change so it goes into winter storage with clean oil; I'd keep riding sub zero, but the roads are now too icy.
xyz-user

Postby vulcan on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Ok, I figured out how to drain the Met carb. Look at the bottom of the carb, from the right (exhaust) side of the scooter. It will be just above the exhaust, in front of the rear fender. You will see a straight slotted screw, and a fitting that points toward the back of the scooter. Using a small, long straight screwdriver, turn the screw counterclockwise, and the gas in the float bowl will drain out through the fitting. Most carbs I've seen have a hose on that fitting, but the one on my Met doesn't. The Met has a complicated fuel system, more like a car than a motorcycle. There also may be fuel left in the line, filter, and fuel pump. Also, I don't see any way to drain the tank. But, I would drain the carb anyway, because it is more likely to get plugged up due to evaporation of the gas in the float bowl than any of those other things. Carb jets are very tiny, and easily plugged.

I have 2 dirt bikes, and if I store them more than a month (inside a shed, I would never store anything outside), I drain the tanks, carbs, remove the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, kick them over a couple of times, then put the plugs back in. It takes about 15 minutes to do them both, compared to an hour apiece to remove, dissassemble, clean, reassemble, and reinstall the carbs. And yes, the carbs will get partly plugged up in not much more than a month. They will still start, but they don't run very well.

Gas does stay good for more than a month, but if you let the whole float bowl full of gas evaporate, it leaves enough goo to partially plug the jets. And besides, I never know how long they will be stored. Jerry.
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5, 2001 Yamaha XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella, 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 1980 Puch Newport
vulcan

Postby xyz-user on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:16 pm

thanks, jerry!! I guessed you'd come through with this sort of info :)
i'll give it a go tomorrow night when I get home from work and let everyone know how it works out.
xyz-user

Postby scootinstonecold on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 pm

WHEW!!!!!!!
scootinstonecold

Postby alx101598 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:04 am

For what its worth - I was also told by my shop to drain the carb. For me their is a largish screw toward the bottom of the carb and a small hose running off the carb. My shop said you turn the screw and a few ounces will drain out but then when retightening the screw just snug it - you dont want to strip the threads. Stay away from the small screws at the top of the carb - they are adjusting screws.
1984 Honda Aero 125
2003 Honda Reflex "Yellow Scoot"
alx101598

Postby Daisy831 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:37 pm

My dealer told me the exact same thing as "alx101598", one post back.
Daisy831

Postby tvon on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 am

anyone got a picture of where this screw is located?
'03 Met (red) - "Jean-Luc"
tvon

Postby tortoise on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 am

tvon wrote:anyone got a picture of where this screw is located?

Your forum join date is 2006, so you should know how to use the search feature . . at least make a worthwhile effort to review previous forum contributions!
tortoise

Postby tvon on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:23 pm

naw.
'03 Met (red) - "Jean-Luc"
tvon

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions