Elite 80 Carb rebuild kit?

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Elite 80 Carb rebuild kit?

Postby SouthA on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I just bought a Honda Elite 80 ('85) and I need a carb rebuild kit OR... a new carburetor. Anyone know where I can buy either or both online?
SouthA

Re: Elite 80 Carb rebuild kit?

Postby akosecki on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 am

check ebay.... ive seen carburetors on there before
www.myspace.com/djayskylark tell me what you think of my music!
akosecki

Postby corbinsdad on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:16 pm

Yeah I went and looked at a 85 Elite 80 that needed a new carb just a week or so ago. Evidently the owner had tried to rebuild the carb himself and lost a bunch of the pieces. I was afraid to buy it because I didn't know how hard it would be to find a new carb or the parts. Where did you buy this one from? I went to a place called Ware Shoals here in SC to look at it.
2008 Lifan T-6 50cc
http://www.cafepress.com/bsgdesigns for scooter stickers and gifts
corbinsdad

Postby Bustin on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:41 pm

OEM Honda parts are available for just about anything on an Elite 80 , especially if it has to do with mechanicals and not cosmetics.

Typically , a "rebuild kit" for a carburetor is a gasket set . Honda usually just sells all the rubber parts in a kit, and offers the other stuff, like float valves and jets, piece by piece. The idea is , you take the carb apart, clean and inspect everything , replace anything that is damaged or otherwise not working , and reassemble it with new gaskets throughout. Companies like K & L and Keyster offer more complete kits, but not necessarily for every application. These kits usually have jets , needles, and float valves included in them , but not always.

On the actual topic of buying online, you may very well be able to find an entire carburetor offered online for that bike , but keep this in mind : Online sellers are notorious for "stretching" the application chart for their products. They will take a carb or or whatever which fits a specific bike , and list it as fitting a bunch of machines that it doesn't really fit , at least without modifications and a lot of screwin' around. Their motivation is greed, because the more applications they can list for their their product, the more potential buyers they can attract . The whole mail-order aspect makes returns much more difficult for the buyers , and they know this . They'll take your money, and hope that you don't jump through all the hoops to get your money back when the part doesn't work.

I can't tell you how often a guy comes into our shop , all pissy , and throws some part or accessory on the counter that he "bought online, but it doesn't fit my bike" , and expects us to produce some magic adapter that we can sell him for $0.99 which will make it suddenly work on his machine. Of course , we are just jumping for the chance to provide after-sale support for some lowballer who sells crap on online that doesn't really fit the bikes he lists it for, not to mention Mr. Customer, who prefers to buy online instead of supporting his local shop. And , of course , if we don't produce that magic part and sell it for a dollar, and instead tell the guy he is SOL , we are just another "Stealer" trying to screw him over.

(:|
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby akosecki on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:57 pm

or you can pay with paypal and reverse the payment if anything goes wrong. <:-{
www.myspace.com/djayskylark tell me what you think of my music!
akosecki

Postby vulcan on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:33 pm

It has been my experience that unlike for older American cars, "carb kits" are not available for Japanese vehicles of any kind. I do know of one place that sells carb rebuild kits for older GoldWings. I would suggest an online place like http://www.bikebandit.com, that sells oem Honda parts, for less than local dealers. I just ordered over $300 worth of stuff from them, and got a confirmation email today saying it has been shipped. I have had nothing but good experiences with them over the years. They mostly likely won't have a carb rebuild kit either, because nobody makes one, so you need to figure out what parts you need, and order just them. Gaskets for sure, probably a float needle, and that may be about it. Otherwise, It probably just needs a good cleaning. If it has been messed with, and messed up, you have a big problem, with no easy answer. Jerry.

Edit. Here is a link to a list of '85 Elite 80 carburetor parts that Bikebandit has. Note that they do not have the entire carburetor. Since the basic layout of the Elite 80 has not changed over the years, a carburetor from a different year would probably physically fit, but might or might not work properly. They do not list it, because Honda changed the part number on it, from other years, and probably made some minor change, probably emissions related, and they do not have one with the correct part number for an '85. If Bikebandit doesn't have it, most likely a Honda dealer would not be able to get it either. I have been put down to many times when going into a dealer (I'm referring to AZ dealers here, I have no experience with dealers in any other state) looking for parts for older bikes, so I don't do it anymore. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 85/o/m2101 Click on carburetor.
'08 Vino 125, '09 Genuine Stella, '77 Puch Newport, '02 Vulcan 750, '85 Goldwing, '01 XT225, and brand new 2013 Honda Met

just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it isn't any good, it just means it isn't made anymore
vulcan

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions