chinese scoot won't start

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

chinese scoot won't start

Postby Dufussman on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:55 am

Hi guys. I know its mostly a honda board but need some help. I just bought a 4 stroke 08 Peace 50cc scoot. I figured I could get it running quick with a tune up and carb clean and new battery. Since I've put like 10 man hours into this thing and can't get it to fire. I has new fuel, new plug which does fire, thuroughly cleaned carb, clean air filter, clean and correctly installed fuel filter, new and charged battery, and no blown fuse at the battery box (main fuse I think). When I first got it it wouldn't start until an insanely long amount of trying, would barely idle and stall on its own and with any throttle twist would die. Now after all the work I can't even seem to get fuel down from the tank into the fuel line and filter to fill. Is there a fuel pump on these things? I've turned it over thinking it was gravity fed or sucked in fuel with the engine turning over but so far its dry. Mabye a bad petcock? The actual fuel tank is free if sediment. Any ideas? If I can get fuel down there I bet it'll start...if not I'll keep you posted!
Dufussman

Re: chinese scoot won't start

Postby tortoise on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 am

Check valve lash, then inject a few cc's of gas into the vacuum fitting on the rubber intake manifold. If the engine starts, that would confirm a fuel supply issue.
Last edited by tortoise on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tortoise

Postby skikman on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Dufussman wrote:Hi guys. I know its mostly a honda board but need some help. I just bought a 4 stroke 08 Peace 50cc scoot. I figured I could get it running quick with a tune up and carb clean and new battery. Since I've put like 10 man hours into this thing and can't get it to fire. I has new fuel, new plug which does fire, thoroughly cleaned carb, clean air filter, clean and correctly installed fuel filter, new and charged battery, and no blown fuse at the battery box (main fuse I think). When I first got it it wouldn't start until an insanely long amount of trying, would barely idle and stall on its own and with any throttle twist would die. Now after all the work I can't even seem to get fuel down from the tank into the fuel line and filter to fill. Is there a fuel pump on these things? I've turned it over thinking it was gravity fed or sucked in fuel with the engine turning over but so far its dry. Mabye a bad petcock? The actual fuel tank is free if sediment. Any ideas? If I can get fuel down there I bet it'll start...if not I'll keep you posted!

there should be a vacuum type fuel tap under the tank with two tubes coming out off it.one goes to the carb[feed]and the other to the intake manifold[vacuum].take both these off [not at tank]and suck through the vacuum one.fuel should run out of the feed one.if not or if you get a mouth full of fuel your tap is fucked.
skikman

Postby Dufussman on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 am

Okay guys heres an update. I finally got around to adjusting the valve lash on my 08 4 stroke peace scooter. It was a very easy job. Adjusted to .004., though it actually didn't seem to be far from that to begin with but I redid it anyway. I also seem to be getting good flow from my petcock and the fuel filter is filling right up with decent gas flow it seems. Not sure why I had trouble with that but it seems fine now. I probably misdiagnosed the fuel flow problem. The scooter still will not start. I turns over, good battery charge, and will occasionally fire up very briefly when I add direct fuel to that vacume line near the carb. Not sure which line it is but anyway. I have good spark and have cleaned the carb as best I can. I feel like I'm at the end of my ability to trouble shoot this thing. I think I either have a bad CDI or just need a mechanic to go through it and see what he thinks. Should I order this costly CDI and try that first or take it to the shop and pay who knows what? I kinda think a mechanic is going to do what I did and then tell me its the CDI :( or worse. Any more ideas? I've messed with the carb screw for rich/lean but again it doesn't run no matter how its adjusted. I also don't think readjusting the valve lash to .002 or whatever will matter but who knows...
Dufussman

Postby tortoise on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:44 pm

If the engine had fuel, spark, and compression it would start . . so obviously one of these elements is still deficient. If you have a multi-meter, ohm test the ignition coil.
Service Manual
Parts Resource
tortoise

Postby Dufussman on Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:21 am

If my CDI was fried I would still get a spark without the scooter running correct? I'll try testing that coil. Where is it and how do I test it do ya know?
Dufussman

Postby tortoise on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:12 am

Dufussman wrote:I feel like I'm at the end of my ability to trouble shoot this thing. I think I either have a bad CDI or just need a mechanic to go through it and see what he thinks.

If locating the ignition coil is a challange . . I would agree that you should have a mechanic troubleshoot the deficiency.
tortoise

Postby Dufussman on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Hey guys merry xmas. Its been a few weeks since the last post. In the mean time I gave up and took the bike to a legit bike mechanic. The mechanic claimed there was water in the fuel (which I drained and added brand new fuel twice) and cleaned the carb (I did this 4 times pretty thuroughly) and it started right up for him. I got there sceptical but indeed it did start right up. So I loaded the scooter in my car laying flat, got it home, and it wouldn't start :( Tomorrow I'm going to charge the battery and try again. Would having the scoot on its side matter like flooding the carb or is this thing just an unreliable p.o.s!? Didn't know you couldn't lay a scoot on its side and have it not start....educate me please. Thanks as always!
Dufussman

Postby Bustin on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:17 am

Laying a bike on it's side is to be avoided , but generally won't do any permanent damage.... a fouled spark plug is the usual result. Remove and clean , or better yet, replace. Also , check the airbox and the air cleaner element for fuel or oil saturation . If the battery is not a sealed type , and has caps on it to add water, check the water levels , because that type of battery can leak if tipped over.
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby Dufussman on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:06 am

Heres an update thats really more of the same. After 3 or 4 'cold start' attempts post expensive mechanic work I been able to get the bike started using starter fluid. Thats good and bad news as its will run and restart but obviously I need to be able to step up to this thing and start it without taking the air cleaner off every time. After the bike cools off overnight its back to starting fluid again. I did mess with the mixture screw on the side of the carb some but to no avail. Any ideas? New carb? I could spend the rest of my life replacing diaphrams etc...

For anyone following this thread that may want some input on my first impression of a running and mobile 50 cc 4 stroke peace scooter, boy does this thing suck. Now I'm still working the kinks out of it, but it has a rough idle, very poor take off speed, and my max speed of around 33 mph takes a while to get there. It acts like its going to stall as it decelerates and it hitches some on acceleration. All things that could be attributed to my known carb issue. My bike does have the 1p39qmb engine which is a real beefed up 4 stroke that is supposed to be completely derestricted and possibly 60cc right out of the box. Anyway, I'm skeptical and it seems to have less power than my other scooters. I'm still working on it and may try a different belt etc. The variator weights are stock too. Mabye I should just get a whole new carb for the bike. They're like 50 bucks.................
Dufussman

Postby Bustin on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Sounds like a fuel issue. As in, lack of consistent fuel delivery , either to the carb itself, or by the carb to the cylinder.

I'd be concentrating on verifying an adequate fuel supply to the carb at this point. Problems with vented gas caps and petcock valves are common, and can be intermittent . Clear fuel line helps a bunch when troubleshooting fuel issues.

The float mechanism in the carb bowl is also an area to focus on. A sticky needle valve can cause hard starting.

Peace (?) out ? :))
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby tortoise on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:39 pm

This thread may, or may not, be relative.
tortoise

Postby Dufussman on Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:05 am

Ya it could be fuel but at this point it could be a lot of things. I have to admit I'm getting frustrated with this scooter and its been the worst one I've owned of 6 by far. :( Theres one word I haven't heard from you guys and I'm almost too stubborn to admit myself. SELL. I think if I can't get this scooter running with the basic fuel spark carb issues that I've been troubleshooting that its history! Right now I'm in maine and I doubt I'll have it on the road for a few months. I think I'll let this thread die and update in the Spring. Thanks a bunch guys!
Dufussman

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions