Metropolitan 2 too lean?

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Metropolitan 2 too lean?

Postby Valvetronic on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello everyone,

Maybe a short introduction first: I'm Erik, I live in Belgium and have a 2002 Honda Metropolitan 2.
My father in law imported the mopet for my wife, back in the days when she was 16. She drove it for 3 years and 3100 miles.
Afterwards it was put away in a heated garage and therefore it still is in great shape!

It sat there for 10 years without moving until I started to work on it.
But up to now, I wasn't able to get it properly running. I have the idea that it just doesn't get enough fuel.
Things that I already done:
-New battery
-New motor oil, transmission oil and coolant
-New sparkplug
-New airfilter
-New fuel filter and fuel lines
-Flushed the fuel tank
-Cleaned the vario housing
-Removed the washer in the vario
-Removed the intake restrictor
-Cleaned the carb: removed all the jets, soaked everything (including the carb house itself) for 2 days, blew it throug with compressed air
-Changed the fuel pump (fuel did not squirt out that ethousiastic)
-Made the spring in the carb 5mm shorter

I'm getting a bit pissed of because after all this work, the bloody thing still doesn't run properly.
Things that go wrong:
-Hard to cold start, only with quickstart spray and full throttle it will start
-Once warm, it turns smooth but the throttle needs to be 50% open to keep it running
-You can drive it (27mph) but when you stop and the rpms go down, it wont pickup again immidiatly.
-When I restrict the air intake with my hand, it revs immediately and strong!
-Even after a long soak, I still cannot look through this jet:

Is that normal?

Or does it just run to lean because I de-restricted it, and therefore I maybe need new jets?

Thanks for reading and I hope that someone could help me out because I'm getting desperate!

Cheers!
Valvetronic
Valvetronic

Re: Metropolitan 2 too lean?

Postby tortoise on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Valvetronic wrote:Even after a long soak, I still cannot look through this jet:

Is that normal?

Pilot fuel flow would be obstructed.

Some pilot jets have internal cross-hairs (similar to a rifle scope). Try using a small twist-tie wire or sewing needle to clear.

Another strategy to clear the obstruction is to place the jet(s) in a small cup, cover with water, add a drop of dish detergent, then microwave for a few seconds to boil the water.

Last edited by tortoise on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tortoise

Postby DaBinChe on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 am

yeah the pilot jet is clog. Find a thin strand of electrical wire to poke thru the clog. If you can't find something to poke it clean then a new pilot jet is in order. Actually you should also get a regular main jet too. The met2 comes with a one size smaller main jet compared to the met1. If I can remember right the met1 main jet size is 75 and the met2 main jet is 72......check that the ruckus comes with a 75 and the met comes with a 72. Whan I had a 06+ met I used the 75 jet. Think your met2 should be okay with the 72, there is even an option for a 70 on the 06+ mets.

I think the cam was different too on the met1 and met2...there is a thread on this forum that tells what the differences between the met1 and met2.
DaBinChe

Postby Valvetronic on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks for the quick answers!

I've dismounted the carb again (can do it with my eyes closed by now in under 3 minutes) and tried to clean the pilot jet again.

Even with a piece of fine steel wire I cannot push the obstruction out. I've even taped the jet to my compressor pistol and gave it the full 10bar of pressure without success.
So my final try will be the microwave over trick!
If this fails, I'll order new jets. Only hard to find the right parts here in Europe. JetsRus.com does not allow paypal payments and is expensive for shipping to Belgium. So, if anyone knows a good parts-site, all info is welcome!

PS; great board by the way! Got here so much useful info already!

Cheers!
Valvetronic

Postby DaBinChe on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:16 am

I hear ultra sonic cleaners works well, I have one but have yet to try it for cleaning carbs. Get them on ebay or amazon for about $30
DaBinChe

Postby Valvetronic on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:45 pm

Good stuff!

The microwave trick worked!

But nevertheless, a collegue of mine has an ultra sonic cleaner. He'll push the entire carb and jets in there.
So I don't have to open up that thing again in the next years!
Valvetronic

Postby Smorris on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:27 pm

I'd never heard of this microwave technique before. Very clever! This will come in handy, as I was testing my Honda generator, and guess what I found. Clogged carb...

Thanks!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby marcopo63 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:13 pm

I have a Met 2 also and had a problem with the hard start when cold. It started easy when it was hot. The issue was with the Electric Choke Valve getting stuck. I changed the Electric Choke and fixed the problem quickly. Hope this helps.
marcopo63

Postby tortoise on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:00 am

Valvetronic wrote:a collegue of mine has an ultra sonic cleaner. He'll push the entire carb and jets in there.
So I don't have to open up that thing again in the next years!

Before final assembly, might also verify the pilot fuel passageway is clear by submerging the carb top casting in water and observing that air bubbles exit the small holes in the throttle bore. Those not having access to compressed air and can blow through a small hose, drinking straw, or squeeze a baby aspirator.

tortoise

Postby Valvetronic on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 am

Yesterday I got my ultra sonic cleaned carb back. I checked the pilot flow channel with compressed air and all seemed to be OK. I Blew everything through with brake cleaner one last time and reassembled everything. I switched the ignition on 3 times to fill the carb and it started right away!!! So the choke valve is working perfect as well.

After I reassemble all the plastic covers (That is like an IQ test!) I was able to take it for a ride.
It runs nice and smooth. It gets to 28mph pretty quick, but it does not creep up to higher speeds unfortunately.
Anyway, 28mph (45kph) is the maximum speed allowed for these mopets in Belgium, so that's OK.

Despite the fact that I'm used to have more power (I've a BMW R1100S as well) it is still fun to ride!
I also bought new plastic fixing plugs, so no squeak and rattles!

Thanks for all the good tips!
Thanks to this board I finally got that thing running after 6 months! B-)

Cheers.
Valvetronic

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions