70cc kit

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

70cc kit

Postby landon on Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:28 am

Two questions from a newbie...

I've read that a 70cc kit is supposed to give the scoot more power, but...
1) What exactly is a 70cc kit?
2) Can I use it on my Met?
05 Denim Met
2 months / 600 miles and counting
landon

Postby mick on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:36 am

1. A 70cc kit is usually a combination of a new block, piston, and head for your engine. These parts are designed for enlarging your engine displacement from 49cc to 70cc. Bigger engine = faster bike.

2. afaik, no one as yet makes one for the Met engine :(

mick
mick

Postby landon on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:51 am

That clears up that question - thanx.

Next question... are there some threads about how to make the Met I faster/more powerful? Are we stuck with what we've got unless we have someone constantly drive behind us with a swamp fan? :p
05 Denim Met
2 months / 600 miles and counting
landon

Postby sooznd on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:03 am

Landond- read through this Met modification thread--you can add new variators and change the weights to increase performance a bit.

for parts you can check out:

battlescooter.com or

http://wayne.visualloft.com/scooter/
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby mick on Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:46 pm

also, poke around this forum, http://battlescooter.proboards27.com/index.cgi
This site is dedicated to the Honda Ruckus, which shares the same engine, tranny, and probably a lot more with the Met. These guys do some heavy modifications...

mick
mick

Postby chanito on Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:21 am

:D Yes we do! :D
chanito

Postby the_only_normal_one on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:13 am

the quest for speed will eventually consume man...

wanna take a ride in my rocket car

(a quick translation of what i just said for SOME people, no matter how fast it gose we want it faster and "it" can be anything you want "IT" to be)
I love you all!!!
the_only_normal_one

Postby DandyDan on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:55 pm

If you want more speed there are a few mods you can make. The main ones are the H.O. camshaft and the big bore kit. The H.O. cam is sold by battlescooter.com for 170$ and the big bore kit is currently being developed by Chanito Motorsports. Unfortunately our engines have a permanent piston sleeve which means that the sleeve the piston slides up and down in can't be removed and bigger one installed with a bigger piston. The only option is to bore (drill) out the stock sleeve so the walls are a bit thinner and sneak a bigger piston in this way. The diameter of the stock piston is 38mm and the big bore kit will likely include a 41mm piston which takes you from 49.4cc to 58.5cc. which is about a 17% increase which should be quite noticable and good for an estimated 5 mph increase.

These are the two significant performance mods but you do need to make other mods. The cam allows the valves to let more air/fuel through and the big bore piston obviously lets more air in too but if your air flow has a bottle neck somewhere you won't see the rewards for this reason you also need to:
- open up the airbox cover or add an aftermarket POD type filter
- add an aftermarket exhaust
- ideally: Port the engine (increase the size of the ports (tubes) the air flows through the engine, just grind/drill em out)
- Big bigger valves in or switch to a 4V head
- Add a CDI to eliminate the redline and advance the timing
- Add an aftermarket variator to gear you taller so you can go faster.

You don't need to do all of these, the only one you really need to do is open up the airbox cover or add the aftermarekt Pod type filter. The rest of the stuff restricts you but its not necessary and you could always do it later.

You should be warned though that you would need to adjust the carb to compensate for your altered airflow and this can be a finicky learning process.
DandyDan

Postby prester_john on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:10 pm

DandyDan wrote:The only option is to bore (drill) out the stock sleeve so the walls are a bit thinner and sneak a bigger piston in this way.

Is the stock Honda cylinder plated, treated or lined in any way?

Tom
prester_john

Postby DandyDan on Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:12 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's plated. Depending on the rings we'd need to get it replated when we get it bored out. Chanito knows more about this than I though.
DandyDan

Postby daegon on Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:41 pm

I don't know if you guys have heard of this website, www.50cc.nl The english ain't great, and you have to fax them your credit card information, and the shipping can be a bit high (which is why we make group orders) but they have many many performance parts for the metro. (look under english > performace parts> Honda > Scoopy (which is the same as the metro)

Specifically, here is a list of the cylinder kits they have available for the metro. Remember, their prices are in euros.

http://www.50cc.nl/zoek_res_e.asp?TA=Ho ... nder%20kit
daegon

Postby RoundelRider on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:42 pm

Has anyone changed the final drive gearing. The Met I has a few teeth difference. I think that would make almost as much difference in top end speed as a expensive oversized cylnder.
RoundelRider

Postby DandyDan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:27 am

If you own the Ruckus you can easily change the gearing to make it taller by using the Metro gears but I think Metro owners are out of luck. The Ruckus is geared lower than the met cuz the Ruckus has bigger wheels to cancel that out. I think the Met 1 might use the Ruckus gears cuz it doesn't get to higher speeds so it can be geared lower.

You might be able to put slighly bigger rubber on your met. You could also try buying the back end of a Ruckus and using that with your met gears so you'd have the bigger wheel. I don't think you could just slap the 130/90-10 rubber in as is because your drive unit is shorter than ours it looks like so there would be clearance issues.
DandyDan

Postby prester_john on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:50 pm

daegon wrote:...but they have many many performance parts for the metro. (look under english > performace parts> Honda > Scoopy (which is the same as the metro)

Specifically, here is a list of the cylinder kits they have available for the metro. Remember, their prices are in euros.

Honda is notorious for re-using model names on entirely different machines in various markets. The Scoopy sold in Europe is a "big-wheel", two stroke 50cc scooter.

Tom
prester_john

Postby prester_john on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:53 pm

DandyDan wrote:You might be able to put slighly bigger rubber on your Met.

A couple of folks have suggested this is possible, but nobody has claimed to have actually done it. The clearance is awfully tight.

Tom
prester_john

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions