Mystery of first oil change!

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Mystery of first oil change!

Postby simple1 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Recently I've bought a 2013 MET. After riding it for 100 miles, I decided to change the oil (it was still looking ok, but just in case). I've read the manual, I watched this video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGP_wU9gAX4) and I went for it. According to the service manual, after draining and engine oil strainer cleaning the new oil quantity needed is 0.8 Litter (0.9 US qt). After doing the old oil draining and the cleaning of the oil strainer with gas, I poured in the 0.9 US qt mentioned in the service manual. I went around the block for 2-3 minutes (as advised in the video), then I waited for 3 minutes to cool down. I removed the dipstick, I've wiped it clean with a paper towel and I checked the level. To my surprise and alarm, the dipstick had oil only at the very tip, under the minimum level. I checked the draining bolt and the oil strainer cap screw, but there was no leak on anyone of them. I poured in the remaining oil (the whole full quart). After wiping out the dipstick and checking the level again, it showed a little over the minimum level. Later, I run the scooter on idle for five minutes and I waited three minutes. When I re-checked the level, the dipstick was AGAIN, wet only at the very tip!!!

The drained oil was still in the tray. I poured it in an empty 2 L Pepsi bottle. To my surprise, the bottle was filled more than half, which means more than one liter (Image)(http://imgur.com/a/JvLmU).

I don't understand what's going on! Where is the new oil going, since it's not on the pavement (under the scooter), but it's not showing on the dipstick either??!! And why the old oil is more than a litter?!

Since I live in Southern Florida, the new oil I've used is one quart of Valvoline Motorcycle Oil, 4T Stroke, Full Synthetic, SAE 10W-40. I'll appreciate any help to explain this MISTERY! :-/ :-/ :-/

UPDATE:
Without driving the scooter at all, after the oil change described above, I drained all the new oil added today. Instead of over 0.9 liters I've put in, I got only 370 ml out!! There was no spill under the scooter during the six-seven hours between adding and draining the new oil. The draining bolt and the oil strainer cap were dry with no trace of oil around them. Where went more than half a quart of oil without riding the scooter for more than 0.3 - 0.4 miles? Could be some black magic going on??
simple1

Re: Mystery of first oil change!

Postby tbalon on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 pm

If I were to wager a guess, I would say that somehow the oil that you thought you were adding to the bike was actually going into the pan instead and mixing with the old oil that you drained out the first time. This would explain why you had so much oil when you measured it with the 2L bottle. Try adding oil again to bring the level up to full. :-? :-$
tbalon

Re: Mystery of first oil change!

Postby pappydog on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 am

It may be a dumb reply, but you did put the oil in the engine and not water tank filler =))
There is no obvious answer why you are losing oil without signs of it.
Unless it smokes like a bitch....
pappydog

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions