Sputter/hesitation at WOT after intake mod

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Sputter/hesitation at WOT after intake mod

Postby traditional85 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 am

I'm having issues with my wife's '05 Met after installing the intake kit from the Ruck Shop.

It's having a hesitation/sputter/bog and loss of power around 30mph at WOT. It pulls hard and strong from idle-29mph at WOT no issue. I originally started with an 85 MJ and have since tried 82, 80 and 78, all to the same effect. It also has the needle shimmed. I have done plug chops but the plug is so new (and expensive, so I don't want to cut into it to see the core) it's hard to tell if its lean or rich. The air filter is an all metal mesh pod so it doesn't need to be oiled so I'm assuming it's getting plenty of airflow. Which would make me assume it's running lean, but I can't seem to dial in the MJ properly even though I've tried a wide range.

My Ruckus back in the day ran great with the same setup using a 35/80 combo and a needle shim, but this engine won't seem to run well even though it's the same elevation and climate. It only has 4000 miles and is in near perfect condition. I've run seafoam through several tanks of gas, through the oil, cleaned and rebuilt the carb (float is fine, all passages are clear, have run compressed air through the passages), detected no air leaks and am still stumped. These engines are pretty basic but this one is getting to me. I haven't checked the valve clearance yet and am about to go check to see if the gas cap vent is clogged.

Any suggestions?
1976 CB200
2005 Metropolitan
traditional85

Re: Sputter/hesitation at WOT after intake mod

Postby Tanuki on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Did you remove the restricter plate at the intake manifold? Your ruckus didnt have one but the mets do. Really sounds like an air leak otherwise. Good luck
Tanuki

Postby lilpinny on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Tuning is off... getting too much air like tanuki said. Could be a leak
lilpinny

Postby traditional85 on Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Tanuki wrote:Did you remove the restricter plate at the intake manifold? Your ruckus didnt have one but the mets do. Really sounds like an air leak otherwise. Good luck

2005's don't have a restrictor plate so that isn't the issue.

lilpinny wrote:Tuning is off... getting too much air like tanuki said. Could be a leak

I already mentioned that no air leaks were detected. I've done the soapy water test as well as using carb cleaner to locate a leak. None found.
1976 CB200
2005 Metropolitan
traditional85

Postby befitt500 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:06 am

Hi. Happy New Year!

I have never owned a ruck, but from all of the met vs ruck mods I've seen, for some reason mets will not take ruck hi- pro parts. I am currently having electrical issues with my '03 and I can't use a ruck ecm. Possibility that Honda programs ecm's so owners can't get into them with the epoxy sealant. Could it be the met ecm is that yr/model sensitive to hi- pro modifications. I may be wrong, however, that's just my 2c. With my met, it seems like Honda doesn't want owners to mess with their products lol.. i want more out of mine, however, I believe the "if its not broken- don't mess with it" rule. Good luck bro! Let us know how it goes!
befitt500

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions