How to: check your frame grounds

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

How to: check your frame grounds

Postby lilpinny on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 pm

I had to do this yesterday.

Let’s say you just painted or PC’d your scoot and put it all back together and it won’t start or it’s charging system is acting funny. Then you remember that you are supposed to sand where the two half’s of the frame connect and where anything grounds to the frame. Maybe you did that, maybe you didn’t, maybe you can’t temember. Before you tear everything apart, here is how to check to see if it’s your problem:

With your multimeter, set it to ohms/continuity (usually it’s the same setting, the continuity symbol is like the WiFi symbol on its side).

Bike is off.

Clip on a lead (polarity doesn’t matter in the case) to the neg side of the battery. Use leads with aligator clips, rig a clip jumper, or get a friend to help.

Then touch or clip the other lead to the ground you want to test. If your meter reads 0 ohms your ground is good. If it says “open” or OL you have no path, no circuit, no ground.

So somewhere between that ground and the neg terminal you have some paint or PC in the way that is preventing the connection and it needs to be sanded away.

But if you get a circuit on all your grounds you just saved yourself a lot of work because that’s not the problem.

Autocorrect is the devil.
lilpinny

Re: How to: check your frame grounds

Postby Tanuki on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I got shocked pushing start button 2 days ago. Forgot to hook up the ground on the Swingarm. Strightened my nut hairs right out!
Tanuki

Postby lilpinny on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 am

It’ll do that! If you don’t have a good ground it might think your body is a better ground! Since your body has resistance, it’ll create some amps and buzzzzzz!
lilpinny

Postby devhour3D on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:41 pm

good stuff, i'll be pc ready in the next couple months so, this helps me avoid a shocking reminder.
gonna tape off some spots for the pc guy so he knows what spots i'll be using.
devhour3D

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions