Honda CHF50 clicks but won’t start

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Honda CHF50 clicks but won’t start

Postby frogblossum on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 pm

We have 2 Honda CHF50’s and one has suddenly stopped running.

When we turn key, the fuel pump primes, the lights turn on but when we push the ignition button, we get two small quick clicks from the grey Relay Swing / fuse box area.

We switched the Grey Relay Swing and the Green Starter Relay with the running Honda parts but got the same results.

Any advice about where to look next?

Thanks in advance for any help….
Last edited by frogblossum on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frogblossum

Re: Honda CH50 clicks but won’t start

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Model year?
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Re: Honda CH50 clicks but won’t start

Postby frogblossum on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Sorry #:-s

The on that won't start is a 2009 Honda Metropolitan CHF50

The working scooter is a 2006 Honda Metropolitan CHF50
frogblossum

Re: Honda CHF50 clicks but won’t start

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Did you try swapping the battery from the good one to the bad one? just to at least test the easiest thing. Bad battery may not start the bike when a strong battery will. Worth a try if you are willing. Even if you don’t swap ‘em, test voltage on the 2009. If it’s not good, it’s a direction to go.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby frogblossum on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:10 pm

We just swapped the batteries and still the same result. When we plugged the battery up to a charger, it was at 100%. The battery is less than a year old.

We are willing to try anything! Would love to fix it ourselves rather than taking it to a repair shop.
frogblossum

Postby lilpinny on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:58 pm

I've heard of all sorts of crazy things that prevent a met from starting that aren't the usual stuff. Usually when it clicks a couple of times (or a bunch) and doesn't turn the starter motor it's cause the battery is dead or the relay or solenoid are bad. But I've also seen where it does the same thing and it's cause it needed a valve adjustment, the fuel pump was bad or there was gunk in the carb and it needed a cleaning. Sometimes ground wires, where it grounds to the frame come loose.
lilpinny

Postby frogblossum on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:30 pm

I don't think it's the fuel pump. It sounds ok and I've replaced one before on the other bike. We'll look at ground wires.

I do now recall one time my husband was riding the bike and it just died on him. He had to kick start it but then it began starting normally. The brake light burned out but we replaced it with an another bulb - and we also tried my original Honda bulb just to chase that rabbit. Willing to try anything!!!
frogblossum

Postby lilpinny on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm

try using a multi-meter. Put it on the continuity selection (usually same as the resistance setting) and touch one end to the frame where it grounds and the other to the neg terminal on the battery and see if it says you have a circuit. Then just make sure those wires are tight and making a connection.

While you are at it, you might put the meter across the battery on voltage and make sure you got 13.4-13.6 with the bike off. Then when you start it, it'll dip real quick and should (technically) start and the voltage comes back up. If it dips below 9v the battery is toast.

You can test the relay with the multi-meter too... I forget the specs but it's on google.

I would say you're solenoid is suspect, but that's in your ECU, and you really can't get at that. I mean if it's not spinning the starter or trying to turn over... that's usually some sort of lack of electrical problem and not crud in the tank. crud in the tank would crank and crank and then not start up. Same with valves. hmmm...

Also, since this happened suddenly and it popped a bulb perhaps and perhaps shorted the starting system, look for pinched wires on the harness... like off the controls on the bars and stuff. See if anything is zip tied too tight.

mysteries, mysteries. You'll find it. This is all a shop would do, just keep poking at it until they find it.
lilpinny

Postby frogblossum on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:07 pm

We really appreciate your suggestions! We will probably have to wait until this weekend to "play" with it some more.

Could we switch out the ECU from my bike to his to see if that's the problem? Of course if there's a wire pinched or a ground wire problem, I'd hate to mess up my ECU.....
frogblossum

Postby lilpinny on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 pm

I’m guessing it doesn’t kick start.

The kick start should by pass all the electrical start stuff. If it’s not kick starting I’d def look at the engine ground or a pinch in the harness.
Last edited by lilpinny on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilpinny

Postby lilpinny on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 am

One thing I was looking at last night was hitting the google cache for old totalruckus articles. Totalruckus is now gone but some of it lives in the cache. You have to use the desktop version of google (this is what worked for me) and put in your search terms with “site:totalruckus.com”. Then when it comes up with the results choose the green arrow next to the url and select cached. It ain’t great what’s in the cache, but there was 12 years of info on rucks and Mets that wouldn’t start.
lilpinny

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions