Honda Met II (speed upgrade)

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Honda Met II (speed upgrade)

Postby Westtl on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:06 pm

What’s going on guys? I currently have a 2003 Honda Met II that I use daily for school. I’m just curious if anyone knows of any modifications to increase the speed on this scooter. I’m topping out at 23-25 MpH (downhill with the wind blowing). Thanks for any advice!
Westtl

Re: Honda Met II (speed upgrade)

Postby lilpinny on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Sounds kinda slow.

you might want to make sure all the maintenance has been done since alot of that stuff wears and needs to be replaced over time.

Change the oil
Change the gear oil
Replace the roller weights (those wear and slowly lose their weight over time. Could explain things)
Change the belt
clean out your carb and jets
Make sure your tires are at the right pressure.

That should get you back to spec. Things you can try on top of that:

Move from roller weights to dr. pulley sliders (will get you in a higher gear)
pick slider weight based on your weight (google for tips on this, there are a number of different opinions. Honda just has one weight of rollers they put in for everybody... sorta one size fits all)
Put in an after market varilator, like a pollini. Changes the angle the sliders/rollers move up and down at, gets you into a better gear.

All of that is easy stuff. Keep your stock parts (except for the roller weights you pull out and belt you replace, those are no good). Keep your old varilator so you can revert back to stock if you need to.

You gotta experiment with the weights to see what weight, or combination of weights work for you. See how you do with just doing that.
lilpinny

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 am

There are many posts and threads on this board relevant to older Met II models, which were deliberately sold as speed restricted. There's no point in reviving any of these with new questions you have, just go read them. Use Search or better, Advanced Search, to select search terms and narrow the focus to get results only in the Mods area. Try terms like “derestrict MetII” so you get what you’re looking for. The OPs have not been on urbanscootin for a while and most have moved on to speedier scooters, so they won't be answering your questions.

There are several videos on YouTube about mods to make to improve the Met II. They will all assure you that speed improvement is relative. The Met II bikes were no longer sold in the US after 2005. The Met I of all years could do about 38-40 mph and the Met II was restricted to 25-28 mph. Few people buy them and ride them still. I'm not surprised you're disappointed in the top speed, but you will not achieve much better speeds after making modifications.

Look for threads discussing derestricting by removing the restrictor plate, rejetting the carburetor, replacing the roller weights, replacing the CDI, and other mods. It may be hard to find many needed parts as your scooter is now 15 years old and no longer produced. You will need the shop manual to know how to do many of the modifications, unless you have DIY experience with motorcycles and scooters. At best, after some red knuckles and a wild goose chase for parts, you might get to 28-30 mph. A lot of work, expense and hassle for 3 mph improvement.

Though lilpinny is correct with his suggestions to improve performance of your Met II, they are most accurately maintenance issues he's addressed. Every idea he offers is absolutely valid and will put your old bike into top condition. When he refers to getting back to specs, I have to emphasize that 23-25 mph is pretty close to specs for a Met II. His wise suggestions might get you to 28 because it's an ideal basic overhaul of an old bike, but you won't get over 30 mph.

You can try to find a Met I from 2006-2010 vintage and expect it to got 38-42 mph. If you own a Met II, you already know it is not a Met I. Refocus on finding a better, faster bike, or fulfilling the sensible suggestions of lilpinny, rather than ever expecting your old Met II to do what it was never designed to do. After you bang your head against a wall long enough, it feels very good to stop.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Happypancake! on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Met II restrictions:

ECU limit. GET an NYC Cdi to remove limit
Cam has less lift. Ruck cams are cheap on eBay. DCR makes a high duration cam
Restrictor plate in intake. It just pulls out
Ruckus gears. GET a set of Met gears.
Variator has shorter ramps. GET a
Carb jets smaller
Carb diaphragm spring longer.

Add
PC10/PC20 carb or port OEM. 78/80 jets
Gates belt
40 psi in tires
Ruck swingarm

Have fun.

Yes Rucks/Mets can go 55+
Rides : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17240 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17262
TR refugee since 12-7-2017

]
Happypancake!

Postby lilpinny on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Woo-hoo!

Maybe a little too much sunshine and salt air. Maybe.
Last edited by lilpinny on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilpinny

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Be sure to advise the OP of costs and time for the modifications, so he gets the full idea of what it takes to achieve the goal. Provide sources for the parts, to be really helpful.
Not sure of the wisdom of reaching 55 mph on 10 inch wheels and only drum brakes. Have you heard of the Darwin Awards? (What could possibly go wrong?)
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Happypancake! on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:48 am

Ok. I consider scooting a hobby and not just a mode of transportation .

As w/ most hobbies, there is no financial ROI.

To each his own .
Last edited by Happypancake! on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rides : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17240 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17262
TR refugee since 12-7-2017

]
Happypancake!

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 am

The satisfaction of having the scooter work the way you want it to, having the fun of riding it after making modifications you enjoy and set aside money for, is the return on investment. ROI isn’t just dollars. I wouldn’t discourage anyone from modding the hell out of their bike, but if they are asking how-to questions, they need to know the full picture.

I suggested the time and expense be noted so the OP can know that the improved speed has a cost, but only he can evaluate this as a practical use of time and money, or if it’s as much a hobby for him as it is for you, so then “practical” is not relevant. I sail as a hobby. Sailboats are not practical as transportation or even objects to own. But I’ve been in it for a lifetime with no thought to ROI. I wouldn’t expect my sailboat to go 20 mph, no matter how I modified it. I’d get a power boat with a big engine for times I wanted to be on the water going much faster. I’d use the sailboat when I want to enjoy the quiet, slow graceful day of relaxation it offers in itself. I wouldn’t put a giant engine on a sailboat and hope it can do all I expect. I’d certainly tell someone considering buying a sailboat and about to take up sailing more about it than the “fun” of it. Understanding someone’s expectations is part of giving advice.

I expressed concern about safety not knowing the level of riding experience or planned routes the OP might be thinking of using when anticipating such higher speeds in a scooter not designed for such speeds.

Until the OP gets back to us with a go-for-it-no-matter-what attitude assurance on his part, both sides of the issues in taking on modding an old bike to the extent recommended are appropriate to offer. None of my posts are prohibitive, but including more than one perspective is a balanced method when a member joins asking to take on a project that changes a scooter’s fundamental functions. I’m not saying anyone should not mod, just they need to understand the real as well as the undefinable aspects.

People can also decide to own more than one scooter: one for appropriate speed for where they’re going, one for enjoyment of a bike just for its own design and capacity. Or decide on what feels more important if they can only own one. For instance, I choose not to own a power boat. Sailing at slow speed with no noise or fuel other than wind is enough for me. I mod the boat for beauty and comfort. It’s a fine hobby and I learn every day. Plenty of ROI in sunshine and salt air.
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions