Honda reflex won't start

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Honda reflex won't start

Postby vetdoc on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi new on the board. Due to a prolonged serious illness I did not ride or start my 2004 Honda Reflex for 9 months. It sat in my very hot garage in Florida. I went to start it the other day and the battery was of course dead. ( didn't have it plugged in to battery tender.)
I charged up the battery and tried to start engine . I cranked the engine for 5 sec about 6-7 times but would not start and battery died again. I siphoned old gas from the tank, gas was very gummy and sticky to the touch. I replaced new gas and new plug. I then tried jumping from my car battery with engine off and it would crank but not turn over. I tried to drain the carb bowl but there was no gas in it! I then tried starting it by spraying starting fluid for 2-3 seconds in the air intake and the engine started but dyed immediately. I tried spraying starting fliud several times and each time engine would start but die without more starting fluid. I checked the carb bowl again after all the starting attempts and still got no gas to drain out. Also the spark plug was bone dry and had no smell of gas at all.

I'm assuming I have a fuel problem with no gas getting to the carb or plug. Is it possible that the old stale gummy gas has plugged up the fuel filter, gas lines or damaged the fuel pump.

What do you guys think about it.

Thanks
vetdoc

Re: Honda reflex won't start

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:35 pm

You must remove the carburetor and clean it thoroughly, including the jets.

Here is some guidance, though for a Honda Met, notba Reflex.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16157
Look for more How-To in the section on Maintenance Procedures here in the forum, or research YouTube.

Gummy fuel stays gummy everywhere. You should add a fuel additive like StaBil or SeaFoam into the fresh fuel, so if gas ever goes through the fuel lines, it will clean up some gunk alng the way. Fresh gas in a dirty tank without additive means the crud stays in the tank and lines. Ideally you should have cleaned the tank before putting in fresh fuel. Siphon out the gas and research how to clean the tank. Then replace with new gas and be sure to put in additive in correct proportion. Additive is not fuel, so more additive isn’t necessarily better. You only need enough StaBil or SeaFoam to be effective. Good gas + additive= clean feed lines and ignition.

Change the spark plug and gap it properly. It is likely the plug is full of carbon and very weak.

Once you have additive in the tank, a new plug, and have an absolutely, immaculately clean carb and jets like new, then put a new battery in there. When a battery is drained to nothing and sits without charge for a long time, it will fail quickly, even if recharged. It won’t hold a charge, which is why it dies fast when you try to start the scooter. Your battery is ruined. Buy new, an appropriate scooter battery, and keep it tended.

Lastly, it is possible you already blew up the CDI or other electronics by putting a car battery on there to jump start it. Too much battery!! Don’t start a lawn mower, a scooter, any small engine etc, with a car battery. You will cook the starting electronics. Buy a proper battery if the size and amps intended for your engine and electronics.

Though I’m sorry your health problems resulted in a critical decline of your scooter, you will kill it for sure by assaulting it without methodical approach. It needs to be cleaned up, and gently managed into starting. I hope you are fully well now to tackle this project. Be patient, spend time being thorough, and if you are not prepared for the necessary work, get it to a mechanic and pay to have it restored to service.

Good luck.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby vetdoc on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:01 pm

GizmoGal wrote:You must remove the carburetor and clean it thoroughly, including the jets.

Here is some guidance, though for a Honda Met, notba Reflex.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16157
Look for more How-To in the section on Maintenance Procedures here in the forum, or research YouTube.

Gummy fuel stays gummy everywhere. You should add a fuel additive like StaBil or SeaFoam into the fresh fuel, so if gas ever goes through the fuel lines, it will clean up some gunk alng the way. Fresh gas in a dirty tank without additive means the crud stays in the tank and lines. Ideally you should have cleaned the tank before putting in fresh fuel. Siphon out the gas and research how to clean the tank. Then replace with new gas and be sure to put in additive in correct proportion. Additive is not fuel, so more additive isn’t necessarily better. You only need enough StaBil or SeaFoam to be effective. Good gas + additive= clean feed lines and ignition.

Change the spark plug and gap it properly. It is likely the plug is full of carbon and very weak.

Once you have additive in the tank, a new plug, and have an absolutely, immaculately clean carb and jets like new, then put a new battery in there. When a battery is drained to nothing and sits without charge for a long time, it will fail quickly, even if recharged. It won’t hold a charge, which is why it dies fast when you try to start the scooter. Your battery is ruined. Buy new, an appropriate scooter battery, and keep it tended.

Lastly, it is possible you already blew up the CDI or other electronics by putting a car battery on there to jump start it. Too much battery!! Don’t start a lawn mower, a scooter, any small engine etc, with a car battery. You will cook the starting electronics. Buy a proper battery if the size and amps intended for your engine and electronics.

Though I’m sorry your health problems resulted in a critical decline of your scooter, you will kill it for sure by assaulting it without methodical approach. It needs to be cleaned up, and gently managed into starting. I hope you are fully well now to tackle this project. Be patient, spend time being thorough, and if you are not prepared for the necessary work, get it to a mechanic and pay to have it restored to service.

Good luck.

Thanks for your info. There is no doubt the carb needs a complete cleaning including all jets. What do you think about no fuel getting into the carb bowel, wouldn't that suggest a clogged fuel line or fuel filter?

I'm really down about what happened to my Reflex . It rode flawlessly and I maintained it for the 10 yrs I have had it until I got sick and let it go to hell. I'm not certain at this point (still recovering not much energy) if I'm up to the task of tearing the bike down and getting the carb out and dissembling it to clean it. I'm really frustrated.
vetdoc

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Further speculation about what ails your scooter seems pointless. If you knew for sure it was a clogged fuel line or a damaged fuel filter would it magically work again? There is probably no one thing that is the key to success, since so much was undermined due to neglect you couldn’t avoid while you were ill. I can understand your lack of energy to take on the challenges of stripping it down, restoring it to clean functionality, and putting it together again. And that’s only a hope, not a guarantee, since you don’t quite know for sure what it needs! You have to attack a list of speculations.

If you can afford it, just get it to a mechanic and pay the cost to get it running. Decide what you think it’s worth to you and then don’t overspend. The investment of money will ensure it will never be neglected again. If cash is tight, get an estimate and save up as a priority until you can afford the refurbishing.

A dead scooter and slow return to health sounds like a bummer. Get to your goals. Your only other choice is to decide if you love this Reflex scooter more than riding itself. If not, sell it, as is, to someone who loves to tinker and buy yourself a scooter in good running condition. Then go for a ride to celebrate your improved health and the feeling of fun in your life. If the Reflex is really what all the fun is about, then commit to getting it fixed and set aside the money, if not the time.

The best thing about owning any scooter is riding one. Find a way.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby vetdoc on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm

GizmoGal wrote:Further speculation about what ails your scooter seems pointless. If you knew for sure it was a clogged fuel line or a damaged fuel filter would it magically work again? There is probably no one thing that is the key to success, since so much was undermined due to neglect you couldn’t avoid while you were ill. I can understand your lack of energy to take on the challenges of stripping it down, restoring it to clean functionality, and putting it together again. And that’s only a hope, not a guarantee, since you don’t quite know for sure what it needs! You have to attack a list of speculations.

If you can afford it, just get it to a mechanic and pay the cost to get it running. Decide what you think it’s worth to you and then don’t overspend. The investment of money will ensure it will never be neglected again. If cash is tight, get an estimate and save up as a priority until you can afford the refurbishing.

A dead scooter and slow return to health sounds like a bummer. Get to your goals. Your only other choice is to decide if you love this Reflex scooter more than riding itself. If not, sell it, as is, to someone who loves to tinker and buy yourself a scooter in good running condition. Then go for a ride to celebrate your improved health and the feeling of fun in your life. If the Reflex is really what all the fun is about, then commit to getting it fixed and set aside the money, if not the time.

The best thing about owning any scooter is riding one. Find a way.

Thanks again for your helpful response. I will check around to find a qualified mechanic who has experience working on the Honda Reflex. I'm hoping I can find such a person in my town. The price to get it restored could be a deal breaker, I'm willing to spend up to $500 give or take. Ill start calling around tomorrow.
vetdoc

Postby lilpinny on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 pm

does your fuel pump work? those things break all the time.

and just do it yourself. it's easy.
lilpinny

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions