Replace oil tank on 2002 metropolitan

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Replace oil tank on 2002 metropolitan

Postby Chitta on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello!
Could anyone tell me about how much it would be to replace an oil tank on a 2002 metropolitan?
Happy Scooting!
Chitta

Re: Replace oil tank on 2002 metropolitan

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Are you writing oil tank when you mean fuel tank/gas tank? To my knowledge the crankcase, holding less than a quart of oil,is not removable. A fuel tank that holds gasoline can be removed and replaced.

When you ask about costs are you asking how much is the part or how much to expect to pay for the part and labor for replacement handled by a mechanic, such as at a Honda dealer?

Please clarify your question.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Chitta on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Thank you,
Sorry to be so unclear,

Well, it's leaking oil.
It has been hard to start and running rough. Sputtering and not getting much speed.
I've been trying to get it fixed, and have had So many different ideas from different mechanics.

The thought just came to me that maybe there is an oil tank and maybe that might be leaking.
So I don't really know what part is leaking. The oil is leaking right above where the kick stand is when the kick stand is engaged. It leaves a spot on the ground just there.

Would the crank case be leaking oil?
If the fuel tank is cracked and leaking it wouldn't be leaking oil, would it?

So yes, I am asking how much should it be for parts and labor.
Thank you.
Happy Scooting!
Chitta

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 am

If the fuel tank has a leak, it leaks gasoline, not oil. There is no oil "tank". But the crankcase may have a crack and thus oil will drip out. You say where, but you don't say how much oil. A slow once a day drip? All the oil dripping out overnight? Put newspaper under the area and change the paper often so you can judge how much oil drips how quickly. How often are you replacing oil and how much are you having to put back in. Those are factors you need to consider to decide if its worth fixing at all.

I don't know why you've heard different reports from different mechanics. The method is to show the mechanic where the oil leak seems to be located and let the mechanic decide the best remedy. Different mechanics may have a different approach to fixing it, but they all have to find the same oil leak and stop the leak. That is not subject to opinion. Oil leaks have to be stopped. But here might be one approach or another. You pick the fix you think is most sensibly described, by a mechanic you seem to trust, in a time frame that you accept, and most within your budget.

No one here can accurately tell you how much it is to fix an oil leak until it is known where the leak is and what is causing it so it won't break again, how big is the crack or hole or defect, how much time it would take to fix the leak based on what method is chosen.

Now you've stated a perfectly understandable question that cannot be answered until it is known just what is occurring with your bike. Usually a mechanic will quote how much you will have to pay for parts, if needed, and how much time a fix might take to complete, so you pay by the hour for labor.

I think you need to ask way more questions at the repair shop, not here, and get very clear answers from whoever is going to fix your bike. Find out about a warranty for the repair so you don't have it fixed and then it leaks again. If the cost to repair it, quoted by the mechanic (not guessed here with no way to see it) and explained to you precisely about the damage itself, is too much money for you, or more than the bike is worth, you can make a decision to go broke because you so much like the scooter, or walk away from it and sell the bike as is, or ride it until it dies. Bad luck is expensive, but it's not what it costs, its how much it's worth to you.

You might get an answer here guessing what exactly is causing the leak, but that will not answer how much it costs to fix it. Talent, time, and location often define repair costs. if you want to ask if a particular price quoted to you for the fix is reasonable or not, it might get some replies on the forum, via subjective judgment. But asking how much it should cost when the reason for the leak is unknown and the extent of the repair is unknown, is not going to get a fair answer, just guesses.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Chitta on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.
You have actually helped me very much.
I wasn't looking for a price quote just a general estimate. Even without that you've been a great help thank you. Now I know where to begin. Thanks again. Peace.
Happy Scooting!
Chitta

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions