09 Met very hard to start cold

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

09 Met very hard to start cold

Postby corysam on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:51 pm

scooters,

Im having a problem with my scooter and maybe you can help. I've searched the board and found some issues kind of like mine but not quite.

Here's the problem. Its a 2009 Metropolitan. It is very hard to start when its cold. You have to crank it and crank it. After about 15 minutes it may start. Then it wont idle and dies. If i wait about 3-4 minutes it will start again and it keep the throttle on for about 5 minutes until it warms up. After it warms up it will start easily and runs and idles fine. After it sits for an hour or more it wont start again.

Any ideas? It has new gas in it. The plug is sparking good. The fuel pump is getting fuel to the carb. I put a replacement auto by starter on it. That seemed to help a little for a little while. Now its back to not starting.

thanks,
corysam

Re: 09 Met very hard to start cold

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Add some fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Sea Foam into your fuel tank. Don’t exceed suggested proportions. It is most likely your carburetor needs to be cleaned thoroughly and clogged jets will affect performance just as you describe. Stabilizer may help clean out gunk and make your carburetor less balky. If it doesn’t work, you will have to get the carburetor pulled out and soaked and cleaned. Yes, it would be a pita, but probably resolve your issues. If the bike had a choke so you could make the fuel mix richer in cold weather, the dirty carburetor would not be as much of an issue. But once it’s clogged and the fuel/air mix is too lean, it’s rougher in cold weather.

Try fuel stabilizer identified above and run the bike long enough, often enough, to get it through the gas lines and carb. You may luck out and it will reliably start soon if the clogging dissolves. Some starter spray can help as a temporary assist. (Do not smoke while using starter spray!!)

The Honda Met finally went to fuel injection with the 2013 model and that was the end of miserable carburetor woes and hard starting in cold weather.

Think positive; the weather will be getting warmer soon and the bike will run better.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby corysam on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am

thanks GizmoGal Ill give it a try although the carb looked clean inside.
corysam

Postby Tanuki on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:19 pm

This may help, ive had to a couple times in my 4 years of scooterthrashin! Good luck
https://youtu.be/KN3vd0svrHk
Tanuki

Postby corysam on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:10 pm

success!
It was the valve lash. I just got the shims in and replaced both with smaller shims and it started right up. There's a good video on youtube about this and i followed the guys instructions. Thanks everybody for your help.
corysam

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:09 pm

corysam wrote:success!
It was the valve lash. I just got the shims in and replaced both with smaller shims and it started right up. There's a good video on youtube about this and i followed the guys instructions. Thanks everybody for your help.

Glad you’re happy! Such a good feeling when things go right.

If that video you used is a different one than the one Tanuki linked to, then you should supply a new link to the video that helped you. Saying you saw it and followed directions isn’t the same as leading others to the good video. If it’s the same one that Tanuki referenced, then let us know that.
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby corysam on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Same one. Sorry
corysam

Postby GizmoGal on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:57 am

Best of the forum is when one member helps another. Tanuki and lilpinny have been exceptional contributors to the Maintenance topics with direct advice and links to help.

Thanks to you for confirming the usefulness of that video, corysam. Someone else will benefit by reading your follow up.
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions