2010 Yamaha Vino - Acceleration (Lack Of)

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

2010 Yamaha Vino - Acceleration (Lack Of)

Postby imzbushman on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi all, I bought a used 2010 Vino and had to bring it up to the dealer to fix a 'hard to start' problem last year. Well, they said they had to clean out the dirty carburetor and change the oil. $$$$ Lo and behold, three days later, I take it out for the inaugural ride and it kinda starts better but the real issue is lack of acceleration. It's not 'peppy' at all like my friends 2006 Vino. It'll get up to about 33 but it does take a long, long time. It's as if there is a choke problem like it's not workin' right. It just makes you feel bad knowin that it aint workin right.

Does this sound like an automatic choke problem?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks
imzbushman

Re: 2010 Yamaha Vino - Acceleration (Lack Of)

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Now that you have a clean carburetor and, I presume, fresh fuel, along with clean oil, you need to add some fuel stabilizer to keep the carburetor clean. Look for Stabil or Seafoam to put in the tank and don’t exceed recommended quantity in proportion to gas. The carburetor will get dirty and clogged all over again if you don’t look after it with maintenancecand protective efforts.

Now that you’ve lived through carburetor problems you seem to be thinking all problems are carburetor related. Unlikely. Acceleration isn’t something the fuel-air mix directly affects. That would be more like stalling, idling rough, etc. Your concern is that the bike is slow and sluggish.

Your report of the bike’s symptoms implies a different diagnosis that is not a carburetor or “choke” problem. You don’t say how many miles your Vino has. I think you may have a dirty belt and one or more flat spots on the rollers. That will definitely affect acceleration and top speed. If the CVT belt is loose or dirty (your bike is almost 8 years old, so it’s possible), especially if the belt has to be cleaned, tightened or replaced. If your rollers have flat spots, common with a lot of miles, or a history of jack rabbit starts off a full stop, or long periods of top speed riding, you have to replace them with correctly weighted rollers. Yeah, new round ones without flat spots!

Either go back to the shop for additional professional work, or learn this task as a DIY project (not recommended). Buying a used bike means you buy it as is and with whatever neglect or bad riding habits the former owner imposed on it. You can fix it up and ride it happily ever after. If you didn’t test it and ride it before the purchase, you are now learning its defects. It can be made right. Get it diagnosed and decide if you want to pay to get it put right or sell it it to someone else and buy a scooter that’s in better shape.

Hope you get it solved and find yourself enjoying the bike.
(what happened to the 2006 Vino you wrote about last July with the lights problem , now that you have this 2010 model?)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Re: 2010 Yamaha Vino - Acceleration (Lack Of)

Postby imzbushman on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am

Hey GizmoGal, thanks for the feedback. All right, a dirty CVT belt and/or flat spots on the rollers. Hmm...something I wouldn't have even considered (or even know about). Sounds like I will bring it back to a professional but maybe not a Yamaha dealer. They are pricey per hour and I'm surprised they didn't catch the acceleration issue in the first place. It was definitely apparent if you took it for a ride. Anyways, I'm going to read up on these two subject areas. Any recommendations on how to approach a repair shop person to have them address my issue(s) with the Vino?

By the way, might light issue was fixed. It was a disconnected wiring harness. Once I started disassembling things up front under the headlight, it showed up. It was like, 'Yeah', it's not a major electrical problem.'
imzbushman

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions