CDI recommendation for 2005 Met II

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

CDI recommendation for 2005 Met II

Postby Trigger1212 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Hello all, first post here.

Just picked up a 2005 Met II with 1,900 miles on it, very nice shape. Has not been started in 5 years, stored in garage. Before Gizmogal yells at me I DID do a bunch of searching already, search function leave a bit to be desired! :D

Having said that I have found a bunch of great stuff, very nice site and helpful members. I am very mechanical (started as a mechanic back in the day) so no worries working on anything.

Paid $300 for unit so not in it for a lot and I KNOW the limitations of a Met II, not trying to make it into a crotch rocket, just need a bit more speed/acceleration as my daughter will be using it at college and I don't want her to get run over for going too slow. If I can get 35mph I'll be happy.

Steps taken so far:

1. Purchased the Honda tech manual for it.

2. Pulled carb, cleaned and installed new float and seals, and Met I spring. (will complete this weekend to get it running).

3. Pulled fuel tank, and drained, actually quite clean inside which was surprising.

4. Installed new fuel filter.

5. Installed temp intake hose on fuel pump and stuck it into a can of seafoam, then cycled key to pump it through the lines/pump to clean out any old varnish. Let set awhile then put intake line in a can of gas to flush the seafoam out and did a volume test on the pump, passed with flying colors.

6. Removed the intake restrictor.

7. Will check the valve lash once I get it running as this can have a significant impact on starting/idle/performance.

8. Change oil and service air filter.

9. Air up tires.

10. Purchased a Polini variator kit, have not installed yet. Want to get it running to see what it will do then install it so I can quantify the increase in performance.

10. When I first got unit I understood that the ECU was also a limiting factor on Met IIs, saw a GET-67 ECU on ebay and got it with the wiring harness for $80. THEN I learned that you can use the original GET-77 ECU, you just need to install a CDI which will defeat the revlimiter in the ECU. So instead of using the GET-67 ECU I will keep the original in.

PROBLEM: Which ECU should I install? Tried to search for this info on the site but it's all over the board and usually not specifically for Met IIs. What is the consensus for the best CDI to use on a METII? If possible would like a plug and play unit with no soldering needed (can if I have to but would like to avoid it), an one with some support, not just off ebay where your on your own if you run into issues.

I've seen kits that include new coils, but I think that is probably overkill for a unit going 35, but I could be wrong, you tell me!

Lastly, I know that the Met II has a lower performance cam than the Met I, may replace in future just for the heck of it, but will be last resort. Also know that Met II has lower ratio final drive and that is fine, should actually help with acceleration and with the Polini it may actually compensate by driving it a bit faster.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will give you all the info you need for a recommendation with out a having to ask a bunch of questions first. See Gizmogal, I DID read up on this first! =))

Thanks to all in advance!
Trigger1212

Re: CDI recommendation for 2005 Met II

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Looks like you’ve taken very good preparatory steps to get the old beast running again. As the Met II hasn’t been manufactured since 2005, there may not be many members here that have enough experience from way back then to give advice about the ECU. There are a few Ruckus wrenchers here on the forum and they love questions like yours, so they may reply, but they don’t read this board very often. Be patient.

Hope you get answers and get the speed boost you’re looking for. ECU swapouts are not common, which may be why you found very little about it here. Did you take a look on YouTube for some guidance? There are often some insights there besides how-to videos. Had you asked here before your purchase, you would have found the best recommendation to avoid the Met II altogether, and try to locate a used Met I, particularly from 2006-2009, whose top speed was more like 38-42. Way easier than the project you’ve taken on, but maybe more than $300 to take one home. Can’t say if that’s worth a few skinned knuckles.

I don’t “yell”.
I never write in all caps.
But I do suggest, urge, propose, advocate, recommend, indicate, endorse, champion, espouse, support, exhort, offer, and favor the use of Search. (Time after time, after answering a few common questions hundreds of times.)
Advanced Search tends to give a better yield as you can narrow the focus and find the most relevant posts. Useful.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Trigger1212 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:36 pm

GG,

Was just having a little fun with the yelling comment. From what I can see on this site your dedicated to it and trying to get people to use the resources that are already there. Thanks for the help! And hoping others will chime in.

Trigger
Trigger1212

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Understood. Thank you, Trigger.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Tanuki on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:37 pm

This dude here, is a legend
http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/2 ... itan-build
Your welcome :D
Tanuki

Postby FatKid on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:42 am

I wouldn’t wait to check your valve lash... it caused mine to not even start... same 2005 sat for a year
FatKid

Postby FatKid on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:43 am

Also I would check your jets while your carb is open... just blow them out and make sure your jets are good
FatKid

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions