Broken coil primary wires....

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Broken coil primary wires....

Postby Daskraut on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Wife's Honda Metro would crap out on occasion after hitting a bump and then when on centerstand, restart just fine. then this engine off after a pothole became more and more sensitive and finally only ran on the centerstand. Everytime the rear when would hit the ground, it would die. So I popped off the seat and bodywork and as it has 11000 miles, I changed out the fuel pump, fuel filter and cleaned all electrical connections since it lives outside. Took it for a test ride and after 4 blocks it dies. Starts fine on centerstand but croaks when rear wheel hits the ground. So as a mechanic (aircraft and motorcycle) I start evaluating. Scooters entire engine pivots with the rear suspension.....so the wires must flex with every single bump. Bodywork off again, start cutting zip ties and looking for blatant chafing. Found nothing. Had the bike on a lift wheels down, and it started right up. So I start wiggling wires while running and as I touched the ignition coil primary wires, it dies. I cut away the insulation and both wires insulation was broken INSIDE the protective outer black tubing. Problem found. These wires are zip tied right to the engine and the zip tie was really tight so that is exactly where it failed. Cut away damaged area, stripped a little insulation off, slid on some heat shrink tubing, soldered and shrunk the tubing in place, then reassembled with duel tip ties (think interlocked rings) to give some movement but keep wires in place. All is great now. Hope this helps someone. Ride safe
Daskraut

Re: Broken coil primary wires....

Postby GizmoGal on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:22 am

Helpful post. Might save someone from hours of trouble shooting. Thanks for the post.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Re: Broken coil primary wires....

Postby Daskraut on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 pm

this is such a blatant mistake at the factory, it should have been a service bulletin....
Daskraut

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions