'02 Metro stalls when off kickstand???

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

'02 Metro stalls when off kickstand???

Postby spdrcer987 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:08 pm

Ok, so I have a Metro that I bought used last summer. Since I bought it, I've changed the oil at least every two weeks. I use premium unleaded gas. But it stalled a few months ago. And as it was starting to get
cold as hell, I figured that I'd just store it and take it in when it
warmed up. Well now I'm ready to take it in, but I've heard some
frightening prices from local mechanics. I was wondering if anyone has
any idea what is wrong. Here are the symptoms:

-- engine won't always stay running
-- engine will only run on kickstand (it will run, and I can get the
wheel to turn if I ease the throttle up)
-- when pressure is released from kickstand, engine stalls
-- sometimes I have to hold the starter to get it to start, or I have
to use the kick start

I tried it today for the first time in probably 3 months (oops, probably sat too long), and it ran just the same as it did 3 months ago: fine on the kickstand, and not at all off it.

Any suggestions that may help me avoid paying half of what I paid for
the scooter to repair it. Thanks!
spdrcer987

Re: '02 Metro stalls when off kickstand???

Postby the_only_normal_one on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:39 pm

spdrcer987 wrote:-- engine won't always stay running
-- engine will only run on kickstand (it will run, and I can get the
wheel to turn if I ease the throttle up)
-- when pressure is released from kickstand, engine stalls
-- sometimes I have to hold the starter to get it to start, or I have
to use the kick start

Any suggestions that may help me avoid paying half of what I paid for
the scooter to repair it. Thanks!

Same problem.

Try to let it run a little, since the met has a fuel pump the carb drains after a while.

The fuel is most likely bad due to sitting too long, drain it if you want (or of the fuel tank is full)
If it is not full then mix with high octain. 100 will do.

The oil can also be bad, change it every 2500 miles. If you change it too often you can put excess ware on the engine.

Also, with bad fuel or bad oil a big bump, I.E. the kickstand coming off, the engine can stall big time

Finally, vapour lock
I love you all!!!
the_only_normal_one

Postby jsabol on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 am

Also, because you change oil so often, make sure it isn't over filled. That is a very common problem with the Met. I don't know if that is the problem here, but even if it's just a little over filled it can be troublesome as far as the Met running well.

Just out of curiosity, why do you change your oil so often? I mean, I guess the obvious answer is that you want the cleanest possible oil in there at all times - I can understand that. However, there is absolutely no need to do that.

Good luck!!
Jay

2003 Sky Blue Met II (Rhonda)
Restrictor Plate removed
jsabol

Postby Dudescootsyeshedo on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:58 am

Does the engine still stall off the kickstand even after 10 minutes of driving in cold weather?

The Met engine is a bit weird in cold weather: the automatic choke kicks off long before the engine has reached operating temp. Thus, any problem which affects a smooth idle (old gas, carb adjustment too lean, low idle speed, spark plug gap, etc) will be exacerbated by "cold as hell" weather, at least until the engine really gets warmed up.

My Met hiccups (idle speed dips, and it sounds a bit rough) when I push it off the kickstand after a cold start, and I cannot figure out exactly why, except that the bump may affect the carburetor / fuel flow just enough to cause a momentary lean condition.

You might fix the problem by bumping up your idle speed just a tiny bit.

Any other details about your problem (how cold is it? How old is the gas in your tank? How does it run otherwise?, etc.) might help us figure this out. Your carb may need some adjustments: A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up, a lean problem gets better as the engine heats up. Give us some more info, we can fix this!

BUT.....try to ride the thing more frequently....sitting is bad. And DON'T change your oil every 2 weeks......absolutely no benefit.

Cheers!

/Mike
/38.4 mph
Dudescootsyeshedo

Postby spdrcer987 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Well, before putting it in storage, I rode the damn thing like a thousand times a day. I can't ride it at all right now. As far as the oil goes, I was just taking someone else's advice. But if there is no benefit, I certainly won't do it that often.

It was probably in the 30's-40's when it stalled and I decided to put it up. When I started it yesterday, it took me a few tries to get it to stay running. I had to ease the throttle a bit and it still shut off when I released the pressure of the kickstand. Same as a few months ago.

As far as old fuel, I don't think that's the problem, as the problem began when I was riding it regularly. Now, though, the fuel in it is pretty old: about 3 months.

Also, before it died, I did notice that sometimes when I would give it gas from a stop, it wouldn't speed right up, like it would hesitate. I wish you could hear me make the noise so you knew exactly how it hesitated. It would start to pick up, slow down for a couple seconds, then go.

Idle speed? I'm not too sure how to adjust this or if it will help.

Oil overfull? I did change the oil like a week or less before this happened.

(ps, Thanks for all your quick replies and eagerness to help.)
spdrcer987

UPDATE

Postby spdrcer987 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:29 pm

ok, so earlier today I let my scooter run for about 30 minutes and checked and it did not stall when I took it off the kickstand. I got on it and drove it about two feet and turned it off. I turned it back on and it was still fine.
I went to work, and when I got home (6 hrs) I tried it again and it stalled when I took it off the stand.
Also, when I give it gas while on the kickstand it still hesitates.

dammit

That's all I know.
spdrcer987

Postby the_only_normal_one on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:57 am

Give it some time, she'll come round if it is what i think it is.

just keep new high octain gas in it and only change the oil every 2500 MI.

To change your idle speed, i recommend you take her in, you mess with the scroo that is hidden by the little nub in the seat bucket.
I love you all!!!
the_only_normal_one

UPDATE

Postby spdrcer987 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:56 pm

OK, there's a bolt missing from the side of the metal piece that the kickstand is attached to. You are looking at the scooter from the side, and it's facing left (the left side). There are three bolts on this black metal piece, the one on the right has a pin in it and the one in the middle is lower than the other two. The middle one is missing.
I had my friend raise the scooter by lifting on the bar behind the seat while I looked at the bolt hole (this action usually stalls the scooter). I noticed that the inside thread moves up and the hole on the outer metal does not.I let it run on the kickstand for about 10 minutes at home and it went off the stand fine. I drove it to the hardware store and matched a bolt that fit (maybe not exactly right, but it fits the thread). I put it in and lifted it and it still stalled.
Waited and it went.

That's all I know. Thanks.
spdrcer987

I am having a similar issue

Postby ayeats on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:38 pm

I am having a similar issue with my '05 Metro.

I posted about it today. Mine dies when I take it off kickstand...or if it doesn't die then, it will going downhill (and then I enjoy pushing it back uphill).

The fuel is a mix of some old (2 months) and new. I will look into the bolts you are talking about, but it doesn't sound like that helped you either.

Please let me know if you figure it out.

Thanks,

Aaron
ayeats

Postby Derbier122x on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:39 pm

it sounds like a carb and/or air problem. If you dont feel comfortable tinkering yourself, you should just bring it to a dealer and have them look into it.
05 kiwi Met II-- Oscar
Derbier122x

Postby offa_broadway on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:56 pm

My guess is a stuck choke. I think this was Spoolboy's problem too (his Aero 80 wouldn't stay running). Carbs need adjustment, lube, and care to continue to operate properly, and ask any mechanic if working on a carbureted car that's sat for three months is any kind of fun. Same goes for the scoot.

Reason I'm thinking choke is because the behaviour seems to get better when it warms up. You let it run, you get further. The choke is supposed to close when the engine is cold, so that it's intaking warm air. Cold air bursts kill the ignition sequence when you add more fuel, which you need when it first starts. As the engine warms, the fuel mixture can be backed off, and the choke opened, and it will run full-tilt. So I think your choke is stuck open.

Could be mixture too. Mixture apparently isn't that hard to adjust (it's a screw on the carb somewhere), but checking choke operation requires removal of the air intake and a few other things.
~OffaBroadway~

2008 Vino 125 ~ Vinny
Iridium plug/PCV Valve/Disabled Accelerator Pump
85mpg AVG / 6900km as of 12/13/08
Snow Scootin!
offa_broadway

Postby Honda919Rider on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:46 am

I've had to replace a few fuel systems on older machines - something to check.

From the left side on the machine, look up into the carb - you will see a little screw on the bottom of the carb. CAREFULLY turn it counterclockwise 2 or so turns - this drains the float bowl, so be sure you are outside or prepared to deal with the gas -

If any comes out.

#1. Gas comes out - Let it drain, leaving the valve open, turn the key on (do not start it, just turn the key on!) and listen for a clicking/ticking sound - that is the fuel pump. It is under the gas tank, towards the back.
The bowl should start to leak again as the fuel pump pumps gas to the carb -

If not, well, you have a problem in the fuel system . See #2

If it does pump gas out again, close the screw CAREFULLY - DO NOT CRANK IT TOO TIGHT!!!!! and see if the machine will start - more times than not, I have that fix it - fresh fuel in the bowl, vrooom!

#2 - no gas came out and none came out when you turned the key on - You have a fuel system issue IMO. I'd replace it all, fuel pump, fuel filter, check valve and hose, but that's me. Last one I did I cost the owner around $180.00 (I think) for everything, parts, labor, fresh gas, "shop supplies" and tax.

You can do it yourself for a lot less, and it is a great time to check/adjust those valves.

Oh - if you are getting fuel and all that is good, well, you have some other problem! :))
ride for one, ride for all
Two 1st Generation Met's
197? Honda Mini Trail Z50
1975 Yamaha RD350
197 Kawasaki S2A 350 Triple
75 CB750K
89 FJ1200
Honda919Rider

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions