How To: Change Spark Plug, Cross-References

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Postby PatienceGrasshoppah on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:34 am

1.0 - Removal
2.0 - Installation
3.0 - Cross-References

Tools - 5/8" (16mm) deep socket, socket wrench, 3" extention

1.0 - Removal: Place on centerstand and raise gas cap cover.

1.1 - Press in and lift up tab to remove spark plug access cover.

1.2 - Locate spark plug cap, gently pull off squarely, and tuck off to side.

1.3 - Use 5/8" (16mm) spark plug socket with 3" extention to free plug turning counter-clockwise. Once free, disconnect ratchet and use extetion and socket to turn by hand noting spark plug alignment.

2.0 - Installation: Verify spark plug's electrode gap is 0.031-0.035" (0.8-0.9mm). Apply thin smear of high-temp anti-sieze paste to first few threads of spark plug being careful not to get any on electrodes.

2.1 - Using extention and socket, align plug squarely with hole and screw in by hand to avoid cross-threading or binding. When snug, use a torque wrench to tighten to 9 foot-pounds (12Nm). Replace spark plug cap making sure it is fully seated. Replace access panel by aligning tabs and pushing it straight down until flush on all sides. Close gas cap cover.

3.0 - Cross-References: Honda specifies either NGK or Nippon Denso spark plugs. While numbers cross to other types such as Autolite or NGK Iridium, it is possible that specifications may vary slightly resulting in undesirable engine performance. Auto parts stores might reference stock number quicker.

* By varying internal dimensions, makers can alter how quickly it dissipates heat. "For cold climate (below 5C/41F)," a plug that retains more heat is desirable. "For extended high speed riding," one that sheds heat quicker helps prevent the plug from overheating.
"You must first learn patience, Grasshopper."
PatienceGrasshoppah

Postby undertheradar on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Nice...but shouldn't this go in the how-to setion?
undertheradar

Postby bcard on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:33 pm

undertheradar wrote:Nice...but shouldn't this go in the how-to setion?

Yes, but we cannot post in that section, it is up to the moderator to move them to that section. :D
bcard

Postby elnene2k on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:21 pm

WOW! Wish I would have known these cross references before I went out and paid $9 for my regular NGK plug...Autozone says they can get the Iridium for $7 ordered for next day...
2002 Salsa Met II
5,720 mi. as of 4/17/08
1983 Honda Aero 50 (Restoration Project)
elnene2k

Re: How To: Change Spark Plug, Cross-References

Postby dakims on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:10 am

what happened to the pictures?
dakims

Postby elnene2k on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:35 am

Quick follow up...I ended up buying the expensive NGK plug from a cycle shop nearby but I ended up calling Adavanced Auto after and they had the NGK for special order at $6...You can actually cross-reference the NGK for the Autolite and get the Autolite for really cheap! Something like $1.69...Wish I could have gotten that one since these engines aren't big enough for you to tell a difference in spark plugs
2002 Salsa Met II
5,720 mi. as of 4/17/08
1983 Honda Aero 50 (Restoration Project)
elnene2k

Postby GizmoGal on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:23 pm

dakims wrote:what happened to the pictures?

PatienceGrasshoppah no longer contributes to this board. When his membership was withdrawn his set of picture files went with it. That's all the explanation available.
This post may not still be valuable with just the text, but the photos are not going to appear, as far as I can tell.
Anyone with a Met service manual can probably provide more info via a PM.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions