Oil changes

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Postby opiemuyo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:28 pm

Should be a maint. chart in your manual, I change mine every 3 months as I was told that oil degrades and does not work as good as time rolls on..
"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness" EPSP # 43
opiemuyo
Staff

Postby the_only_normal_one on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:53 pm

the mecanicks manual says after 600, change it at 2500 MI, and evry 2500 after that.

Or evry 3 months, wichever comes first
I love you all!!!
the_only_normal_one

Success

Postby jstearns on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:59 am

First oil change was a complete success (I think) - Last night in the fading light of the summer day, I changed the oil without any problem and so now I am left wondering... should I even bother to take it in for the 600 mile check up - do they really do anything besides change the oil?

Well to all those not sure if changing their own oil is for them - jump in - it is so easy.

Take care all.

Josh
jstearns

Re: Success

Postby Ronnmadison on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 am

jstearns wrote:First oil change was a complete success (I think) - Last night in the fading light of the summer day, I changed the oil without any problem and so now I am left wondering... should I even bother to take it in for the 600 mile check up - do they really do anything besides change the oil?

Well to all those not sure if changing their own oil is for them - jump in - it is so easy.

Take care all.

Josh

Josh I say don't bother! You have done the most important part of the 600 mile service! Now just check and make sure your brakes are adjusted correctly, also check for any loose nuts and make sure your coolant level is good. And you pat yourself on the back because you just saved 70-100bucks!
Ronnmadison

Re: Success

Postby sooznd on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:07 am

jstearns wrote:First oil change was a complete success (I think) - Last night in the fading light of the summer day, I changed the oil without any problem and so now I am left wondering... should I even bother to take it in for the 600 mile check up - do they really do anything besides change the oil?

Take care all. Josh

Ccongrats Josh on doing that yourself.

I would like to attempt the oil change on our Met when the time comes around. I changed the tranny oil and did the first service on my Vino, so this shouldn't be too hard, either.

Would you post some basic instructions, such as tools needed, etc. I would imagine changing "in the fading light of the day" is an important ingredient to success, too. ;)

Thanks!
Susan
EPSP #27
2006 Vino 125 Lapis Lazuli- gone but not forgotten
2003 Honda Met Celeste-lost in the line of duty
sooznd
Retired Staff

Postby Da?iel on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:16 pm

I've never taken mine in. I change my own oil. Just look over the tires and brakes once a week to make sure everything looks like it did the week before. Keep the oil clean too. Change the air filter if it looks dirty and new spark plug every 5000 miles or so and you're good to go.
Visit my Honda Jazz website.
http://www3.mb.sympatico.ca/~pincher/
Da?iel

Postby laspalmas7 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:21 am

I have to disagree with the don't-take-it-in folks. Sorry.

The first 600 miles are very different from the next 600. Seals, nuts, bolts, etc all seat or unseat themselves in that time. Anyting that will loosen up will have loosened in that period. Like the bearings in the front end... for example.

By all means, save the $ and do your own oil changes... but go in for the initial service. Unless you have the service manual and can check all of the structural bits yourself.

Just my $0.02

-andrew
2009 Zuma 125
laspalmas7

Pictures From Service Manual

Postby senchang on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:29 am

Here is The Guide From Honda Service Manual

Applys To Scoopy And Jazz MET/METII CHF50 CH50 Ruckus

Covers Engine Oil Change And Engine Oil Strainer Screen Cleaning

Enjoy :)
Attachments
P3.jpg
P3.jpg (200.1 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (226.38 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
P1.jpg
P1.jpg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
senchang

Postby KenR on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:02 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I had some trouble putting oil on the exact level. I had to fill and drain several times. After that mess, I made myself a tool. Now I don't have to mess around with measuring the exact level of oil.

This is what I made. I went into my bathroom ang got an almost used-up shampoo bottle with pump. I cleaned up the pump and cut the stem same length as dip stick mesh level (top). And then I pumped out the exesive oil out of the engine block. Now, every time, I get exact amount of oil in the engine. I don't have to unbolt and drain oil from the bottom.
KenR

Postby nichollsvi on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:00 am

Hey,

What kind of non synthetic oil can you get that will work good in a Met II that you can buy at Advance Auto or NAPA? If that's possible.

Also, can you drain motorcycle oil in a pan and keep it to be recycled with your car oil?

Thanks,

Vic
nichollsvi

Postby kmp on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:14 pm

One hint: you do need to remove the dipstick to get the oil to drain well and faster.

But, DO NOT START IT UP with the dipstick removed after the oil change is completed! Will make a mess sputtering oil droplets out of the dipstick hole.

Yeah, stupid mistake on my part. :*>
kmp

Previous

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions