HONDA ELITE 80 STARTING ENRICHMENT THERMAL VALVE

Having problems with your scooter? Want to talk to people about modifying your scoot? This is the place!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

HONDA ELITE 80 STARTING ENRICHMENT THERMAL VALVE

Postby swanie1 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:06 pm

I am pretty new at working on my 1986 Honda Elite 80 scooter so this may sound like a dumb question. Can a new starting enrichment thermal valve be installed on my scooter without removing the entire carburetor? I just installed a different carb on it which was a pain in the ***. Also, after I put on the different carb., I got the scooter started but, when I try to accelerate, it dies. Does that sound like the enrichment valve or carb adjustment, or what? I, really, appreciate the advice.
swanie1

Postby tortoise on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Research link.
tortoise

Postby bobman on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:54 am

if it idles fine and then dies when under acceleration after its had a few minutes to warm up you probably need to replace the diaphram in the top of the carb, it comes as a round diaphram and new needle kit.

This is if both the idle jets and main jet are already clean. I am assuming you cleaned it up before installing it.

One more thing is to check for rust in the tank if it has a lot of it there is a vertical very fine mesh strainer in the tank that will clog when under higher flows so it will idle but not run at open throttle. If thats the case email me I just went thru this and have a good way of fixing that also.

Mine is running great now
bobman

Re: HONDA ELITE 80 STARTING ENRICHMENT THERMAL VALVE

Postby swanie1 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 am

In my previous post, I was complaining that I was having a problem with my 1986 Honda Elite 80 carburetor in that it would start but wouldn't accelerate very well. I, now, have a different carb problem since I changed the carb, after cleaning the jets, etc. The scooter WILL START and ACCELERATE but will not idle properly after first starting.
My gas tank appears to be clean with no rust, etc. The carb has a limiter cap on the air screw and it is clockwise as
far as it can go. Any suggestions???? :(
swanie1

Return to Maintenance, Modifications and Service Questions