Tornado R'Alley VII

Post your event location and dates and plan meet-ups in this section!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Tornado R'Alley VII

Postby buckzmom on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 am

http://madtotosc.blogspot.com/p/schedul ... a-vii.html B-)

Memorial Day Weekend, Tornado VII R'Alley, Overland Park (Kansas City) Kansas......
"Sparky"--2005 Burgundy Vino 125
buckzmom

Re: Tornado R'Alley VII

Postby Smorris on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:35 am

Wow! Hi stranger!

There's *very* few of the old gang here any more. For that matter, there's very few of anyone around. I hope all is well with you.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby buckzmom on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:22 pm

hi, Steve! yes, it has been a long time! many of the girls went over to VinoGirls on Yahoo. Now it's getting pretty quiet over there too! :-s
So have folks just stopped writing or riding?
buckzmom

Postby Smorris on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am

A lot of folks moved on to other hobbies, other scoots, family got in the way, etc. Plus we were inundated with Spam for so long the Wendy and I (the last moderators) quit due to lack of interest by Jeff. Jeff finally closed urbanscootin to new registrations, which stopped the spam, but also left us with an ever-dwindling membership. Wendy and I came back, but it has been really quiet around here since.

Sooznd peeked in here a bit ago, and RockyHa is still posting occasionally, DaBinChe is as active and helpful as ever, but that's about it for the Class of 2004-2005 members when urbanscootin was most active.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ___ 2006 Vespa LX150 ___ 2005 Honda Metropolitan ___ 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport
Smorris
Staff

Postby GizmoGal on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 pm

My 2 cents: it sure was fun on this forum when it was full of new posts, interesting questions, enthused members. Newbies got lots of help and experienced riders shared tips and techniques. I learned ahuge amoung in very littl time by joining this board in 2005.

The spam assault really did ruin it since people were sick of wading thru it, it was hard to keep up with eliminating horrible posts as fast as they arrived, and when membership finally closed it got less stimulating. Even though I no longer own a Met, I'm a raving happy scooter rider and still love this board. If we opened membership again and could control spam, it would definitely liven up. But no matter, I check for new posts every day and get a kick out of helping if I can.

Happy spring to all. ;)
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby buckzmom on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Gizmo, you gave up that little Met? it was so cherry! whoever bought it got a true jewel!
I couldn't tell by your photo...what are you riding now?

I agree with both, you & Steve. UrbanScootin truly kicked off my scooter riding and made it a true joy! Sooznd invited me to the board and it was one of the luckiest things that ever happened during this whole adventure.
I've met so many diverse people, still keep occasional tabs on them, discussing new topics, enjoying new hobbies and family triumphs....you know the drill. A few make it to the Tornado R'Alley in KC which has been great fun to meet people in person!
But this board truly was an outlet for all the enthusiasm I had for my new hobby! Here I was an 50+ gal in 2005 taking up this crazy 8-} hobby and all my friends/family thought I had lost a few cards out of my deck! The local groups I had seen saw themselves more like bikers...and I was more of a Born to Be Mild!
I have 2 groups I belong to now that accept everyone as they are and it's great. I don't ride as much as I used to. But every time I consider selling ol' Sparky, I figure he's paid for & with the price of gas I might as well keep 'em.
And then I spend the whole summer ridin'... ;)

So, Gizmo, are you doing anything other than sailing around Noo Yawk these days????
buckzmom

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:03 am

Oh, you must have missed the post I put up just about a year ago. I'm riding an Elite 110 now. Named it Radish.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15849

It's got nearly 1300 miles on it now. We had a mild winter and I rode often. I celebrate 1 year of ownership on April 14. It is a joyous ride.

I have not embellished it with stars or any decoration but accessorizing has been fun. It has an aftermarket Slipstreamer windscreen now and a side stand. Both essential and very handy. This bike is much heavier than the Met, so I like the side stand for easier parking without hauling it up on the center stand. The wind screen made winter riding much more comfortable. This bike goes close to 55 mph, so when you are really zooming along, wind is annoying in any weather. Cutting down the buffeting made a smoother ride.

I have not found one bad thing about this bike. I am sentimental in my memory of the charming Met I traded in, but I don't miss it. Whoever got that Met from the dealer will ride it with the same pleasure and confidence I did, I am sure. Because it was well maintained and pretty, it gave me good trade-in value and helped make the Elite that much less costly. I love the reliable fast response of fuel injection over cranky carburetor and the fast pickup in city traffic makes me less vulnerable to impatient cagers.

We are getting the boat prepped for spring launch. I expect to be sailing in early May. There is a big Op Sail boat parade in NY harbor the week of May 23-29 and I will sail out to see the tall ships (celebrating the 200 year anniv. of the War of 1812) I don't why we gotta celebrate a war from 200 years ago, but I will scoot to the boat's harbor and sail to the parade. Hooray.
Attachments
Sidestand Installed (Small).JPG
Sidestand Installed (Small).JPG (52.35 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Radish Flag wall (Small).jpg
Radish Flag wall (Small).jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby buckzmom on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 am

Giz, I upgraded to my Vino125 for the same reason. I live on a busy street and felt like I was taking my life in my hands every time I tried to merge into traffic with the Metro! But the Metro served its purpose...I could see if this was more than an impulse buy; if a could actually handle a scooter and if I would want to do it long term. It took me 9 months to decide to upgrade to the Vino125. The little Metros still make me smile, much like high school does, but I'd never want to go back!
Sailing was a passion of mine for a good many years. But in the Midwest, there just aren't the places to go and access water as easily as you on a regular basis. Sounds like you have created a wonderful life for yourself--good for you! Most people just dream......
buckzmom

Return to Events & Meet-Ups