Salt, snow, and scoot...

Please post pictures of your scooter, your adventures, or just about anything else!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Salt, snow, and scoot...

Postby Kerry on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:25 am

Took the Met out on a mild, overcast day. Just for some fun, and to keep fluids and things moving. About 3:30, wet snow started to fall.

This became a problem real quick!

Safely home...
2008 Metropolitan - Ocean
Kerry

Re: Salt, snow, and scoot...

Postby GizmoGal on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 am

Fun fotos! Conditions like taht are about to start in my vicinity really soon. Riding on snow, even just a bit, is not a good idea. :( Hope it dries up quick so you can get another ride soon.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby Kerry on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Yea, riding in the snow is a bad idea. Besides that clump of ice behind the front wheel/fender causing the steering to hang up, those IRC tires have next to no traction in slush. I had to keep my feet on the ground, like training wheels, once the snow started to stick. All that free spinning of the rear wheel must have been hard on the drive-train as well. Not an experience I want to try again. As long as the streets are dry, I try to get out at once a week for a couple of low-speed miles around the neighborhood. But on this day I ventured too far, and got caught by Old Man Winter...
2008 Metropolitan - Ocean
Kerry

Postby PDXRUCKUS on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Hells yeah. Sun, rain, snow, keep the wheels on the ground and enjoy the ride.
PDXRUCKUS

Postby Bustin on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:20 am

Kerry wrote:those IRC tires have next to no traction in slush. .

Nor do any other brand or type of street tires. Slush and wet snow are particularly difficult to ride in because every little rut tries to divert your front tire from a straight path.....but any form of ice or snow on the pavement is bad news. Glad you made it home safe !

Dirt bike style knobby tires are slightly better in the snow than street tires, but still pretty much suck . Some hardcore street riders put ice screws or studs in their knobby tires , borrowing a trick from the ice racers , but the only really realistic way to operate a motorcycle in the snow without crashing regularly is to mount up a side car to the bike. Scooters are particularly unsuited to snow because the CVT is basically going to downshift automatically if the drive wheel slips .... yikes.

Plus , in the snow , even if you stay upright on the bike, you have cars pinballing all around, out of control , ehh..... bad situation .

I've gotten caught on a motorbike in a couple of unexpected snow showers , but was always able to bail for home before it started to get deep . I actually enjoy airing down the knobbys on my ATB and going for an occasional trail ride in the snow , but I usually crash a few times .
"Cruising is what I dig the most." - Jeff Spicoli
Bustin

Postby benjo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:59 pm

I used to ride around town in a vintage hand-me-down road bike with smooth skinny tires. Never crashed! :D

(those photos were taken 7 years ago)
benjo

Postby dcameras on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Just get one of these ice racers for riding in the snow and ice..

close up of the tire..

Darrell
2007 Purple Kanji
2004 Reflex Sport w/ ABS
dcameras

Return to Pictures