Cover and lock for Metropolitan

Let talk about accessories we want, have, or need here!

Moderator: urbanscootin mods

Cover and lock for Metropolitan

Postby Elio on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 am

Hi,

I'm "shopping" for a lock for my Metropoltan and i see alot of locks with a heavy duty chains are around $100 (masterlock,Kryptonite,....) i found a bell chain with lock for about $ 25, are does as secure as the more expensive ones?
also i am looking for a cover for my Scooter, any suggestions on which ones to get and what website?
thank you,
Elio
Metropolitan 2009 (Ocean)
Elio

Re: Cover and lock for Metropolitan

Postby DaBinChe on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 am

the bigger the lock the more secure, but make sure you lock it to a fixed object like a light post/tree/railing/etc. What I do with mine is run a long thick cable thru both wheels and a fixed object. I also use a smaller cable to lock my helmet to the larger cable. Cables aren't the most secured compared to a thick chain but I don't leave my bike for too long outside. The cover will also provide security but make sure you get one that is lockable.
DaBinChe

Postby GizmoGal on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 am

Have you tried using SEARCH on this forum? Many threads about covers and also locks. Many threads on most newbie questions. Use SEARCH.
In general, the weight and solidity of the lock and chain (both parts) determine how hard a thief works. The longer they labor to get it undone, the more time it gives for someone to catch them at it. So sturdy, strong, challenging is the idea; not how much you spend. If it can be ripped up in under 10 minutes with a hacksaw or a hammer or even a rock, you didn't buy good quality. Keep in mind, someone determined to steal your bike will make that happen, no matter what they have to go thru.

As for covers, look on eBay by looking in the motorcycle section for covers, and specifying Scooter or Metropolitan in your search terms. You'll be carrying it and folding it up to store it when riding, so avoid giant heavy ones.
EPSP #42-- First NY posse member!
GizmoGal
Staff

Postby mgospo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:54 am

In seeing how expensive some of the heavy-duty locks are, I opted for comprehensive insurance that covers theft and vandalism. I of course still use my center stand and steering locks, but if it gets took, it gets took. Monetarily Im covered for the loss and I have a car to get around in. I think of it as a "premium priced invisible lock".

I dont remember who said it, but another poster mentioned that once you flesh out the cash for comp coverage, somehow crooks just "know" and overlook your bike. Its expensive and you'll never need it probably, but I like to be covered just in case, and its easier than looking for something to chain the bike to and more convenient than lugging all those extra pounds around under my seat.

On the other end of the spectrum. No matter how cheap the lock - I think just the fact that you have something that looks like a lock on your bike might be enough to deter a lazy crook,or at least make him look for something easier to steal. I have a 12 dollar bell bicycle lock that I have never used, but if I felt inclined to lock up the bike thats probably what I would use. Then again, I just don't want to fool with it so I got the comp coverage.

BTW, nothing I've said here is an original idea, its basically been adopted from other posters on this subject, which as GG pointed out is covered pretty well on this board.

I've quickly learned there is no shortage of opinions here. All valid, most helpful.
2009 Metropolitan - Graphite
mgospo

Postby Elio on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 am

i checked on Ebay, there are too many to choose from, i'm looking for a good quality one, that i can ofcourse fold and store under my seat.
thanks
Metropolitan 2009 (Ocean)
Elio

Postby misu on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Elio wrote:Hi,

I'm "shopping" for a lock for my Metropoltan and i see alot of locks with a heavy duty chains are around $100 (masterlock,Kryptonite,....) i found a bell chain with lock for about $ 25, are does as secure as the more expensive ones?
also i am looking for a cover for my Scooter, any suggestions on which ones to get and what website?
thank you,
Elio

i got $15 cover on amazon. thin, compacts easy, keeps it clean but i wouldn't use it for days of rain. does have a holes for a lock but it'd easily be ripped off. i got it do keep the elite 110 clean not for security.

i'm interested in locks too.... have a u-lock and cable from my bikes, but am considering a xena alarm disc to deter the snatch and go when i park it at the airport for short 2-3 day trips. grip-lock also looks interesting and is nice and compact.
misu

Postby ronnath on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 pm

misu wrote:
i got $15 cover on amazon. thin, compacts easy, keeps it clean but i wouldn't use it for days of rain. does have a holes for a lock but it'd easily be ripped off. i got it do keep the elite 110 clean not for security.

yep, got mine on amazon as well. size matters - mine is for a majesty and i went with a medium weight style because the bike faces the elements from time to time. it came with a thin cable and small padlock but not for security against bad guys - security against the cover blowing off in the wind. 40 bucks.
'07 Yamaha Majesty in the faster Team Yamaha Blue color
07 Sportcity 250 - Now living elsewhere
06 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Metropolitan- Now living elsewhere
05 Reflex - In Honda Heaven

EPSP #25
ronnath

Return to Accessory Discussion